Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Although this years Free Agency might not include any Elite Guys, it certainly includes some very good guys.

I don't understand everyone's obsession with wanting an Elite Dman. With EJ and Hejda having break out years, we don't need an elite Dman. We have one right now in EJ, and a very steady Top 2 guy in Hejda.

We need Middle pairing Dmen. And theres plenty of those guys available in free agency this summer. Girardi, Timonen, Markov, Niskanen, Nikitin, Boyle, Mitchell, Tallinder, Greene.

Lots of good #3/4 guys available potentially for the Avs this summer.

Many of those will re-sign with their team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm confused with the obsession with Nikitin around here. He has had one good season, and the rest were average seasons. He is really a 4/5 defender that is solid both offensively and defensively, but nothing spectacular in either manner. I know he had a 32 point season a few years ago, but that was being spoon fed minutes on the top pairing with lots of PP time. He isn't going to get that here as he isn't good enough offensively to beat out players ahead of him. He might get second unit PP time if Roy doesn't want to use a forward like Tanguay on the point. Right now I think he is more of a 20-25 point 2-way 4/5 defensemen. He would be an upgrade on some of what we have here, but the upgrade wouldn't be that significant and isn't worth some of the numbers I have seen thrown around.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Although this years Free Agency might not include any Elite Guys, it certainly includes some very good guys.

I don't understand everyone's obsession with wanting an Elite Dman. With EJ and Hejda having break out years, we don't need an elite Dman. We have one right now in EJ, and a very steady Top 2 guy in Hejda.

We need Middle pairing Dmen. And theres plenty of those guys available in free agency this summer. Girardi, Timonen, Markov, Niskanen, Nikitin, Boyle, Mitchell, Tallinder, Greene.

Lots of good #3/4 guys available potentially for the Avs this summer.

Hold the phone dude. I might get blasted for this, but while EJ has been fan-****ing-tastic (as has Hejda) for the Avs this year, he isn't elite. And he never will be.

He's good. In fact he's very good. There have been moments where he's been great. But that franchise #1 defenseman is a tag that is and should be reserved for a select few, and EJ isn't that. In fact it wasn't until he finally embraced a fresh start and quit trying to be 1st-overall-pick Erik Johnson that he finally became the defender we all hoped he'd be.

All that said, I still think you can build a contender around EJ. Vancouver certainly doesn't have a #1 guy, but they managed to build a pretty damned good blueline corps for their Stanley Cup Finals run regardless. I think even the addition of a legit #3 would help things immensely.

However, unless his name is Dan Girardi or Andrew MacDonald, I hope we lay low this free agency season. Given the rise in the cap and relatively weak market, some teams are going to be throwing some really stupid contract offers out there. Those other guys you listed either won't be available (maybe Niskanen, but I doubt it) or aren't worth it (HELL NO on Timonen, he's been done for a long time now).

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Nikitin doesn't speak English. He has his Russian teammates translate for him.

I'm sure Varlamov would be thrilled having to babysit a 27 year old man that can't be arsed to learn English.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I'm not really sure where to put this but thought it was interesting that the Rockies beat reporter tweeted that the Rockies are vying to host an outdoor NHL game.

I was just about to post that. I wonder who has more say in an issue like that, the two clubs (Avs and Rockies, plus whoever the Avs would play) or the NHL.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I was just about to post that. I wonder who has more say in an issue like that, the two clubs (Avs and Rockies, plus whoever the Avs would play) or the NHL.

Probably the NHL but I think it's a good sign there is a willing host that's trying to get the game and it's being reported on their end. It's definitely a step in the right direction rather than just speculating that it would be nice to have a game here.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I knew Bogosian was having a rough year, but wow are Jets fans down on him right now. I don't recall Avs fans ever being that down on EJ.

He'd be a great reclamation project for some team if the Jets were going to start shipping out big names, but with his price tag I can't see him being moveable. That said, I think he figures it out and gets back to the level he was at last season. I always liked the guy. Small town humbleness, and always says good things about Winnipeg.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I knew Bogosian was having a rough year, but wow are Jets fans down on him right now. I don't recall Avs fans ever being that down on EJ.

He'd be a great reclamation project for some team if the Jets were going to start shipping out big names, but with his price tag I can't see him being moveable. That said, I think he figures it out and gets back to the level he was at last season. I always liked the guy. Small town humbleness, and always says good things about Winnipeg.

I was actually thinking along this very track earlier today. If we could somehow steal Bogosian out of Winnipeg I'd be absolutely delighted.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Bogo is a fierce competitor too. Really physical. He would be a great addition but the cost would be too high.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Bogo is a fierce competitor too. Really physical. He would be a great addition but the cost would be too high.

For me, it's more the fact that his cap hit is 5.143 million. That is really steep for a guy who has never even been on pace for 40 points, isn't that great defensively, and is fairly injury prone. As I said in regards to Larsson, at least when the Avs were banking on EJ's potential there was already signs that he had what it takes. Not to mention he signed a cheap contract extension too. Where as with Bogosian, he is already being paid like he is a #1 defenceman.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
My two cents... Parenteau and Tanguay are respected veterans who put up tons of points and are both on controlled contacts with neither having silly cap hits. Veterans who bring a calming presence, are clearly valued by the coach, and have provided no problems. The difference between a Vanek and a Parenteau in salary is significant. No to moving PAP.

good post TPS:)

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
For me, it's more the fact that his cap hit is 5.143 million. That is really steep for a guy who has never even been on pace for 40 points, isn't that great defensively, and is fairly injury prone. As I said in regards to Larsson, at least when the Avs were banking on EJ's potential there was already signs that he had what it takes. Not to mention he signed a cheap contract extension too. Where as with Bogosian, he is already being paid like he is a #1 defenceman.

I completely disagree, Bogo has played like a #1/2 for numerous stretches in his career, offensively and defensively. Larsson in comparison has a lot to still prove.

I'd love to add Bogosian, he's basically a less talented EJ. Imagine EJ and Foote taking Bogosian under their wing?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

5M until 2020 is not the caphit of a #1.
It will be the caphit of a solid #3 in 2-3 years. Those guys right now usually get 4-4.5M easily on the open market.

And Bogo has great upside. If we could get him cheap for Stastny (although I ideally want to keep Paul) or McGinn + 1st + Elliott, I would jump for joy.

Bogo has all the tools. He is very similar to EJ. And I would make the EJ deal 11x out of 10 again.

I find his caphit very appealing to tell you the truth.
When EJ gets his 6M + extension (hopefully he keeps up his current play and therefore deserves the money) , 5M for Bogo will not be that bad.
A top pairing D and a #3 for 11 M is great. Especially when that #3 easily could develop into a #2.

I do no want to give up ROR for him. But if we run into contract trouble with him again, Winnipeg is the first number I call.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I completely disagree, Bogo has played like a #1/2 for numerous stretches in his career, offensively and defensively. Larsson in comparison has a lot to still prove.

I'd love to add Bogosian, he's basically a less talented EJ. Imagine EJ and Foote taking Bogosian under their wing?
He certainly has a lot of ability that is enticing. I'm not disagreeing about the Larsson part, I just meant when Larsson came up I said that when the Avs traded for EJ he had already put up almost a 40 point pace in both his first two seasons. Then he played a top-4 role on the US Olympic team. Point being that it seemed like EJ had less of a climb to make it to where the Avs wanted him to get. Bogosian would take a ton to get first and foremost, and then he is getting paid a lot. He too would also need a Hejda. It's just too much of a gamble to me.

5M until 2020 is not the caphit of a #1.
It will be the caphit of a solid #3 in 2-3 years. Those guys right now usually get 4-4.5M easily on the open market.

And Bogo has great upside. If we could get him cheap for Stastny (although I ideally want to keep Paul) or McGinn + 1st + Elliott, I would jump for joy.

Bogo has all the tools. He is very similar to EJ. And I would make the EJ deal 11x out of 10 again.

I find his caphit very appealing to tell you the truth.
When EJ gets his 6M + extension (hopefully he keeps up his current play and therefore deserves the money) , 5M for Bogo will not be that bad.
A top pairing D and a #3 for 11 M is great. Especially when that #3 easily could develop into a #2.

I do no want to give up ROR for him. But if we run into contract trouble with him again, Winnipeg is the first number I call.
He won't come that cheap. He will only be 24 next season. If ROR is going, I would hope it would be for something a little more certain.

OEL and McDonagh both signed much better deals than him, in the same time frame too. He is overpaid. You are right though, there are defencemen with uglier contracts that make his look like it will be worth while.

It will be interesting to see what happens under a new coach for him. No fans should know better than us what a real coach can do for a young defenceman. I just don't see it with Bogo though. I would love him on this team too, but as a 2nd pairing guy with a smaller contract. Not one who will take a core player in return, and then be the highest paid defenceman by 1.25 million.

Gaks*

You are vastly overrating how good Sekera is. He is nowhere close to being a top 5 defensman in the NHL this year or elite.

I don't know if you guys are watching the Canes enough then. I'm pretty sure he is hovering around the league lead in turnover differential, which for a dman is crazy. He's also like third on his team in scoring, on a bad team.

For me anyone who says he's not at worst a #2 needs help. I realize most people here only watch the Avs. But even stats will tell you he's been out of his mind this year. He's better than Hejda this year, that's for sure. Maybe not top 5 though, I may have been a tad off my rocker sayin that lol.

If he's only a #3 somebody propose McGinn + Elliott for Sekera on the main board.... see where that gets you with the Cane fans who watch him daily.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They have watched Sekera daily... for half a season. Meanwhile Buffalo fans who watched him for years doesn't share your view.

He's overachieving. He's not a top guy, Alex Steen isn't a 50 goal 90 point player, Kyle Okposo isn't a PPG player and Bishop/Harding aren't top five goalies. The first half of this season they are but not in the long run.

You're supposed to sell high. Not buy high.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They have watched Sekera daily... for half a season. Meanwhile Buffalo fans who watched him for years doesn't share your view.

He's overachieving. He's not a top guy, Alex Steen isn't a 50 goal 90 point player, Kyle Okposo isn't a PPG player and Bishop/Harding aren't top five goalies. The first half of this season they are but not in the long run.

You're supposed to sell high. Not buy high.

To be fair, many Buffalo fans thought he was their best defenseman, and most thought he would be a big loss. They just understood the circumstances for why he was dealt.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
adater ‏@adater 1m

Avs and O'Reilly have agreed to revisit contract situation this summer, and no disharmony exists. Story up soon on Denver Post

Excellent news i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad