Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Losing Mcginn would make our top 9 incredibly soft. We need that grit to compete with the big teams like the Sharks/Blues. I would much rather dangle picks for defense. Losing Downie was disappointing enough.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The only way I'd be okay with a McGinn trade is if he were somehow packaged with other things to get Kulikov and Matthias. Kuli would fill the D-hole and Matthias would fill the size and grit hole up front.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The only way I'd be okay with a McGinn trade is if he were somehow packaged with other things to get Kulikov and Matthias. Kuli would fill the D-hole and Matthias would fill the size and grit hole up front.

This was the deal I was thinking of, based on the EJ trade.

McGinn+Barrie+1st for Kulikov+Matthias+2nd. Or something like that.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

I'm completely on board with that.

Even Drew Shore while not as physical as Matthias but is a RH shot who could fit on a 2B/3rd line and would cost less in additon to McGinn would be a good return IMO.

(and Shore is a hometown boy!)
On his childhood hockey hero: Just being from Colorado I've always been a big Joe Sakic fan. When I was younger there, that's when they won the Cup. So watching him raise the Cup, I always tried to emulate that. I thought that was pretty cool.
• He played on his first hockey team in Littleton, Colorado and his childhood hockey idol was Peter Forsberg while he played for his hometown Avalanche.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I had been curious about Matthias as well as a potential replacement for Staz as a 3rd line center. When I asked about his defensive game on the Panthers board though, the response was that he was fairly average in this area. Not the response I was hoping for given that'd be his primary role as more of a traditional 3rd line center.

Seems like he'd fit in great offensively though in Roy's system with his style. Great on the forecheck, and some very good hands with a lethal shot. Pretty inconsistent production wise though.

Really don't have much interest in Kuli. I don't think he improves the team much. Seems very similar to Wilson, and there don't appear to be many signs that he'll improve much beyond what he is now.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I do not see Kulikov as the type of player that Patrick Roy would want to bring in. Next.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I think the Avs will target a slightly older defensemen. One who is already seasoned.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
What kind of player is Simon Despres ?
Yeah, was wondering that myself as I have very little exposure to him. He's always in the minors when I watch Pittsburgh. I don't think he's the guy Roy would want to help the defense though. It has to be someone a bit more experienced.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Really don't have much interest in Kuli. I don't think he improves the team much. Seems very similar to Wilson, and there don't appear to be many signs that he'll improve much beyond what he is now.

less than a year older than Barrie and from the same draft class, but this board loves to give Barrie the "defenseman don't come into their own until later" treatment, but Kulikov is already plateaued?

I see no reason Roy and Foote could not develop Kulikov into a much better defender than he is now. Heck, they've made Guenin much better than expected this year already.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Brian Campbell would fit nicely as a LHD and maybe we could agree to take on the contract as it is if they take Wilson's $2,25 and throw in a forward. Wonder what that would take.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
less than a year older than Barrie and from the same draft class, but this board loves to give Barrie the "defenseman don't come into their own until later" treatment, but Kulikov is already plateaued?

I see no reason Roy and Foote could not develop Kulikov into a much better defender than he is now. Heck, they've made Guenin much better than expected this year already.

It's because he's been in the league for what seems to be forever. He was once a guy that we should trade Duchene to get and no he's an after thought. He's not a world beater but he's a good and has a lot of room to grow.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
It's because he's been in the league for what seems to be forever. He was once a guy that we should trade Duchene to get and no he's an after thought. He's not a world beater but he's a good and has a lot of room to grow.

Thankfully I was not a part of this board during the trade Duchene days. Hard enough sitting through that season just as a spectator. I do think Kulikov has that 2-way potential that Roy seems to like, but may be a bit too turnover prone/careless in his decision making for him to be a viable target.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
To me it really depends on the return McGinn could get. If McGinn with a small plus could get a young potential top 4 defensemen like a Weircioch I would be pretty happy. If it is for an aging #4 I would be pretty disappointed.

If McGinn is traded, that would seem like a clear sign to me that Stastny would be retained. Without McGinn there would only be 6 top 6 capable players on the current team. With McGinn, the Avs could run with McGinn on the left side of MacK on the second line.

i don't see wiercioch as that big upgrade this season, if at all.

i have high hopes for bigras and siemens so i wouldn't so it as future move either.

sens D sucks already. imo it would only make sense to trade him for sens if they get upgrade on him.

imo it would be lateral move at best to trade mcginn for wiercioch. forward depth isn't great even with jamie. would prefer to trade picks and/or prospects for a reliable vet, that could contribute for few years.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

It was only one game, but kulikov looked awesome against us. At least that is how I remember it.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I still like Kulikov and think he could flourish outside of Florida but I don't think we can get him for a package where Mcginn is the main piece anyways.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I don't think Barrie becomes what some think either. They'll both have roles in the NHL, but I don't think either will be that big on a contending team.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Well, we already have Barrie on the team. Hope Roy and the coaching staff can turn him into what our scouts expected him to be. If he doesn't pan out, we only wasted a 3rd round pick.

With Kulikov, you're going to have give up quite a bit to acquire him and then hope the coaching staff can improve his way. It's a pretty big gamble. The EJ trade is looking better and better but Kulikov is no EJ.

If we're giving up good assets to acquire a defenseman, I would prefer that it's not for a project.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Dreger tweeted he would discuss the asking price for Gardiner during the Sens intermission. NHL Network obviously wouldn't show it. Did anyone see it?

Top six forward. Hurricanes, Flames, and Islanders have inquired. Many others are/will be interested. They're not shopping him though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Top six forward. Hurricanes, Flames, and Islanders have inquired. Many others are/will be interested. They're not shopping him though.

Typical Leafs strategy. Hype up a player's promise, and act like they're untouchable. Then leak the player's name into the rumor mill. Ask for an unreasonable return when teams come calling about them. Tell the media they're not shopping him. Then eventually trade the player after causing years of distractions for them and your team.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I like Gardiner but I don't think the Leafs would accept McGinn as the main piece coming back for him. Same goes for Kulikov.

Both are raw and still projects but I'm completely fine with McGinn going the other way for one of them. However, I wouldn't want to pay the price the Leafs/Panthers would probably want.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
i don't see wiercioch as that big upgrade this season, if at all.

i have high hopes for bigras and siemens so i wouldn't so it as future move either.

sens D sucks already. imo it would only make sense to trade him for sens if they get upgrade on him.

imo it would be lateral move at best to trade mcginn for wiercioch. forward depth isn't great even with jamie. would prefer to trade picks and/or prospects for a reliable vet, that could contribute for few years.

He would be solid on the bottom pairing and probably help the 2nd power play unit this season. Then going forward he has 3/4 potential. If McGinn is the main piece of the deal, this is the type of young defensemen he could get (he wouldn't be the main piece to get Kulikov or those sorts). He might be able to pull an older 4, but that really makes less sense for this team. The Wiercioch part was more of an example of the type of defensemen though (young, in the NHL, has solid upside) not exactly who the Avs would target. If they want another vet on defense, people are going to be more upset about this trade than the Downie trade.

If McGinn is going to be traded it is because Roy doesn't really see him as part of the top 6 going forward and Roy probably wants a more traditional bottom 6. McGinn isn't great defensively and can't really be relied upon to PK and probably never will be able to be. There isn't room for McGinn on the 2nd line where he would ideally go. From the Talbot trade we can gather that McGinn doesn't fit with what Roy wants out of his 3rd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad