Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I know you have to give to get, but our forward depth is diminishing rapidly if we keep on trading 2nd/3rd liners away.

Agreed. We're also not a big team as it is and moving McGinn would make us even smaller up front.

Since when does Sakic make the calls to other GMs?

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I wouldn't have minded trading Mcginn if we hadn't traded Downie. We definitely can't attack with 3 lines with Mcginn gone, and we'd lose a guy who can move through the lineup in the case of injury.

If we trade him for a dman, in my mind we need to follow that up by acquiring a forward, which will be difficult itself.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
They probably can't get much with McGinn alone. Hopefully they market him with a tagline incorporating what he has done over an 82 game span.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Agreed. We're also not a big team as it is and moving McGinn would make us even smaller up front.

Since when does Sakic make the calls to other GMs?

Isn't he the GM? I thought it was mentioned here at one point that Sakic, Roy and Billington were designated as the three who can take calls on trades.

Can I delude myself into thinking with this McGinn rumor is they are more likely to keep Stastny?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Maybe Roy and Sakic think that they have a replacement forward in the minors or something? I don't think we'll see McGinn traded anytime soon though. Sakic/Roy want a defenseman but whether or not they pull the trigger remains to be seen.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Maybe Roy and Sakic think that they have a replacement forward in the minors or something? I don't think we'll see McGinn traded anytime soon though. Sakic/Roy want a defenseman but whether or not they pull the trigger remains to be seen.
I think they really like Malone. He is a big guy himself, and I'd imagine he'd make his way onto the team if McGinn is gone. Doesn't have the same scoring touch, but better defensively and a better skater.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Even if he is inconsistent (if he wasn't, he'd be a top six winger with the skill set he has) I think he's more valuable to Avs than as trade bait.

We've seen how exposed Avs are when they have a couple of injuries. Suddenly it's McGinn or Mitchell on a scoring line and there is nothing in AHL to offer relief. Hishon isn't ready and Heard/Malone don't have the offense.

I'm against fixing holes by creating holes. Especially if the guy traded is young and cost controlled. Then again Roy would know what he has and what he wants.

Just for fun. Something based around McGinn + ? for Despres. Hey, he speaks fluent Roy. ;)

Garrioch hasn't exactly batted 1.000 when it comes to Avs, so no reason to expect anything.

Burnaby_Joe*

I like McGinn, but if he gets us a good dman(McGinn and a pick), then I'm all for it. We can trade assets to get another 3rd liner. As much as some of you like to think, McGinn isn't and won't be a 2nd liner imo.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Would be very disappointed to see Ginner moved. Make it a combo deal with Willy and kick me in the teeth like the Winnik/TJ trade. :D

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Yeah if we move McGinn , that's two of my favourite players on the team moved out really early with this "new" management, alot of team toughness leaving too.

Not a fan of this either way, sure he's struggled this year, but he has shown he can play 1st line in a pinch, plays a great 3rd line game.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Sad if true. He is the perfect third liner to have. Just cause he has been cold for a stretch of 15 games doesn't mean he is done. Ehhhh.. dislike.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
McGinn really is one of the few attractive top 9 roster forwards that could get moved though. Could make quite a package with one of the other assets the Avs have (pick, Wilbariott, Hishbossa, Goalie prospect, etc)

The forward FA pool is much better than the defense pool, and the Avs are on the upswing so likely could draw without having to majorly overpay.

In the end though, I'd bet McGinn is still an Av next season. Mitchell could be moved with his play, but his role on the PK will need to be filled, and not sure Malone or Cliche are ready to do that. McGinn needs to develop that ability more and he'd be a lock for Roy IMO.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
I think they really like Malone. He is a big guy himself, and I'd imagine he'd make his way onto the team if McGinn is gone. Doesn't have the same scoring touch, but better defensively and a better skater.

This. Plus Malone can play center or wing, and since McGinn has not stepped up he's not bringing more to the game than Malone does. I also think Malone, in the right situation, would have some offensive upside.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I guess the issue with Mcginn is that he hasn't been offensively good enough to consistently play a scoring line but isn't defensively strong enough to be a solid contributor to a shutdown line. But we definitely don't have the depth to replace him. I think after the Downie trade, if we trade Mcginn we're going to need at least 1 if not 2 new forwards going into next year. That's not going to be an easy task either.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
It would be disappointing if this is all part of a plan to switch to a traditional top-6 of scorers, and bottom-6 of defensive forwards. If McGinn gets traded, Roy will have shipped off 2/3 of his original third scoring line. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if McGinn gets dealt for a defenceman, I think the writing is on the wall for Stastny. Unless, MacKinnon goes to the wing, and PAP gets traded, there is no space for him here.

If everyone is healthy, I can kind of see what Roy is getting at.

Landeskog-Stastny-Tanguay
O'Reilly-Duchene-PAP
Mitchell-MacKinnon-Talbot
Bordeleau-Cliche-McLeod

I still think we could see another trade similar to the EJ one, with worse players all around. Barrie/McGinn are poor versions of Shatty/Stewart, which could return a player a step down from EJ/decent defensive forward. Picks both ways to even it out.

Last edited:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'd sooner trade PAP than McGinn. PAP would have way more trade value.

Losing McGinn means we get smaller, and less difficult to play against. Not a fan of that at all, because even if McGinn is cold offensively, he's still a big body wreaking havoc on the opposing D and forechecking hard.

Also let's not forget that just like Duchene, McGinn is playing hurt (knee brace)

As for whether Malone can replace McGinn, come on guys, he brings less to the table than Cliche does right now, let's not over-inflate the guy's skill set.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I'd sooner trade PAP than McGinn. PAP would have way more trade value.

Losing McGinn means we get smaller, and less difficult to play against. Not a fan of that at all, because even if McGinn is cold offensively, he's still a big body wreaking havoc on the opposing D and forechecking hard.

Also let's not forget that just like Duchene, McGinn is playing hurt (knee brace)

As for whether Malone can replace McGinn, come on guys, he brings less to the table than Cliche does right now, let's not over-inflate the guy's skill set.

So true. He doesn't look like a player who should be in the NHL.
I also agree with everything you wrote about McGinn. It would be another mistake to trade him imo. The Downie trade was bad enough.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Never understood the obsession with Malone on this board.

Agreed. It seems like people on here get tunnel vision with one player they like and then obsess over him.

I have nothing against Malone , I just don't think he is anything more than a 4th liner with borderline 3rd line abilities.

That being said McGinn has been the biggest disappointment on the team this year. He is not hitting, or scoring and is a liability defensively. And it's not like he hasn't been given lots of opportunities to play on a top 6 line.

If we can package him with someone else and get an upgrade on defense I'm all for it. Not sure if I'd want Malone taking his spot, but we do have some options in the minors like sgarbossa or hishon.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Another reason why trading Downie was a bad idea. It took away perhaps the only decent trade chip that wouldn't hurt too much to lose in McGinn. Now it will hurt too much to lose him. It would leave the top 9 way too soft, when they needed to get bigger as it is.

I think Roy might have been seduced by Jamie's start, as a reason to trade Downie. I think what we've come to expect though is a small injury of sorts every year, and some lengthy hot and cold streaks.

If McGinn is involved in a trade, it has to be a big package because not only do they need a D man back, they'd also need a big bodied winger that can either comfortably play on the 3rd line, or preferably in a top six scoring line role.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
This team has holes. We lack overall talent and depth.
Filling one hole by creating another does not fix anything.
Just keep building. We replenished our defensive prospect pool (aside from #1) last year.
I expect them to mix it up this year and atleast get one decent forward prospect in the draft. A 2nd line winger on a short contract could make sense as well in UFA.

The only priority right now for GM Roy and Vice President Sakic should be getting Stastny (and ROR to a certain extent) signed to a somewhat reasonable contract.

I dislike the speculation about McGinn. After the stupid Downie trade we really can not afford to trade him. Our forward depth is very shallow right now. I hope Hishon can help solve this problem but counting on this guy (or better his health) unfortunately would be ludicrous..

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
To me it really depends on the return McGinn could get. If McGinn with a small plus could get a young potential top 4 defensemen like a Weircioch I would be pretty happy. If it is for an aging #4 I would be pretty disappointed.

If McGinn is traded, that would seem like a clear sign to me that Stastny would be retained. Without McGinn there would only be 6 top 6 capable players on the current team. With McGinn, the Avs could run with McGinn on the left side of MacK on the second line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad