Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Ehrhoff would be a pretty amazing pickup. I also wouldn't hesitate to throw Wilson in on any deal, since he can't stay healthy and if we're bringing in a top 4 left D, where would Wilson even play?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Ehrhoff would be a pretty amazing pickup. I also wouldn't hesitate to throw Wilson in on any deal, since he can't stay healthy and if we're bringing in a top 4 left D, where would Wilson even play?

I think Wilson + 1st would be an enticing package to a team that is out of the playoffs and looking to rebuild. It could be a trade that people regret if Wilson ever stays healthy depending on the player the Avs get in return.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wilson isn't a top four defenseman even when he is healthy so I wouldn't mind him going the other way in a deal.

Ehrhoff's contract concerns me a bit but the cap hit is very low for someone with his skill and the last few can be bought out if necessary.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wilson isn't a top four defenseman even when he is healthy so I wouldn't mind him going the other way in a deal.

Ehrhoff's contract concerns me a bit but the cap hit is very low for someone with his skill and the last few can be bought out if necessary.

I love his contract. Low cap hit and low salary. By the time 2020 comes around a $4m cap hit will be the norm for 3rd liners and 4/5 defensemen.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

This contract is actually good for the Avs:
Ehrhoff :
SEASON / NHL SALARY / CAP HIT / Age

2013-14 / $4,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 31
2014-15 / $4,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 32
2015-16 / $4,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 33
2016-17 / $4,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 34
2017-18 / $3,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 35
2018-19 / $1,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 36
2019-20 / $1,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 37
2020-21 / $1,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 38
8years / 22,000,000 / 32,000,000
-Actual salary is far less than the cap hit (bonus for the owners)
-Ehrhoff should easily be able to play @ 4m level until he's 35
-He'll likely "retire" or be kindly bought out before the 2018-19 season.
-Avs would not be liable for any cap recapture penalty

I'd be over the moon if Ehrhoff would be had for our 1st + a Sgar or Hishon even if Adam did not come back

Ehrhoff-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Benoit

looks very solid to me

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Yeah Ehrhoff would be a good target in trade, and I agree with those saying that I wouldn't mind Wilson going the other way at all. He's a useful player when gets going but he inevitably gets injured and always takes a while to play his way back into form. Not sure what type of deal Buffalo would be looking for, I imagine they value him quite highly. Regier has been getting pretty strong returns for his vets too lately.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah Ehrhoff would be a good target in trade, and I agree with those saying that I wouldn't mind Wilson going the other way at all. He's a useful player when gets going but he inevitably gets injured and always takes a while to play his way back into form. Not sure what type of deal Buffalo would be looking for, I imagine they value him quite highly. Regier has been getting pretty strong returns for his vets too lately.

I think we should give Wilson more time, he just came back from injury, so don't expect him to be 100% right now. IMO.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Buffalo could seriously do some damage at this years draft if they decide to go full tank mode and ship out there vets.

Vanek, Miller, and Erhoff would all easily return 1st + other pieces.

Stafford could return a 2nd + prospect or a late 1st from a team like Pittsburgh. I doubt they trade Ott, but even he would return a similar package that Stafford would get.

If they went full rebuild, they could be looking at up to 4 or 5 1st round picks, and 6 or 7 picks in the first 2 rounds.

I would offer up 1st + Wilson for Ehrhoff. Would also throw in one of Milan/Patterson if Buffalo wanted another goalie to add to the system.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
First of all, I play/have played a higher level of hockey than 85% of people on these boards so you can stop with that talk.

Second, I have nothing against Landeskog. I don't feel he's playing poorly. He's playing to his ability. He's never going to be an elite player but his value has him posted as that. His Leadership and maturity is something most players will never bring but luckily we already have a lot of that.

This team is leathal offensively. We are needing a hugh piece on the back end and we aren't going to get that without giving up something big. Landeskog is a 2nd line left winger. He brings other intangibles that Tanguay and Mcginn don't have, but those guys wouldn't return half as much in a trade. If we want to get a top pairing defenseman via a trade, it's only going to happen if we move a big name.

I don't want to see him go, and I never said LETS TRADE HIM. I said I would trade him for the right deal. If it was for the right return he would be the best asset to give up right now based on what we would get in return. If we could get a guy like OEL for Landeskog it makes our team better (we would likely have to add for OEL but i'm just saying)

No need to attack one of the most honest and one of the more respectable(i hope) posters on here for having an opinion about making a trade that would make our team better. I never meant to disturb the whole forum and think I want to throw Landy out the window. I just tried to make it known it's a deal I would make with the right piece(s) coming back. Let's not forget how many of our fans wanted to trade Sgarbossa for 1 year of Rusty Klesla just a month ago.

Check out Dustin Brown and Ryan Callahan and see what both those guys were doing when they were 18,19 and 20 years old. That's a starting point.

I love that Lando has '60 point potential' but has already had one 52 point season as an 18 year old.

When this kind of talk started about Duchene, I posted a thread illustrating how silly it was to start talking about how Duchene will never be this or will never be that. Do I have to do it again? :laugh:

Callahan - NHL Regular at age 22 (Career high 29 goals / 54 points at age 26)
Brown - NHL Regular at age 22 (Career high 33 goals / 60 points at age 24)

Lando is going to be better than those guys, I think he's got 75-80 point potential. Generally takes longer with power forwards. He'll be fine.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Check out Dustin Brown and Ryan Callahan and see what both those guys were doing when they were 18,19 and 20 years old. That's a starting point.

I love that Lando has '60 point potential' but has already had one 52 point season as an 18 year old.

When this kind of talk started about Duchene, I posted a thread illustrating how silly it was to start talking about how Duchene will never be this or will never be that. Do I have to do it again? :laugh:

Callahan - NHL Regular at age 22 (Career high 29 goals / 54 points at age 26)
Brown - NHL Regular at age 22 (Career high 33 goals / 60 points at age 24)

Lando is going to be better than those guys, I think he's got 75-80 point potential. Generally takes longer with power forwards. He'll be fine.

Not to mention Landy is smarter and much better defensively than both of those players already. The fact that Landy and Stastny have been able to defend opposition lines with Tangs on their line is impressive.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The more I think about it the more I want a vet who can play with EJ and QB the PP, guys like Erhoff or Campbell would ideal. Hejda's experience has been huge for us and was a big part of why he and Barrie were so sexy together last year, and he's a perfect example for Siemens on how to develop his game. Erhoff or Campbell would similarly be great partners for EJ and have the experience to be an example for Barrie, Bigras and Elliott. Would buy us a few years for our d men to develop in ideal circumstances, while our forwards don't have to wait and can start working on getting some playoff experience now.

Campbell/Erhoff - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Benoit - Wilson/Sarich/Guenin/Holden

Tell me that's not starting to look like a playoff caliber defense with our top 9, at the very least the top 4 would be legit, and a benoit-wilson pairing could even be a very good third pairing for us.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Kidding aside, getting Ehrhoff and Girardi would make our defense quite sexy.

It would improve it, no doubt but I'm really hoping we don't jump the gun on any transactions unless it's something too good to pass up. I want EJ to establish himself as the top guy on the team and continue his strong play for a good part of the season so he can regain his confidence before we start bringing new guys in.

It's going to take a while to exorcise the 'Sacco' fully from his game. :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just figure realistically we're not bringing in that young or in his prime first pairing lefty we need without breaking up our top 9, so I think finding a quality fill in who can buy us some time with Bigras the way Hejda does for Siemens is our best bet. And that kind of trade would also help the whole team's development, which is why I'm ok with giving away a first this year and hording our picks again starting next season. A lineup looking like:

Tanguay/Sgarbossa - Duchene - Downie
O'Reilly - Stastny - Landeskog
McGinn - MacKinnon - Parenteau
Bordeleau/Highlander - Mitchell/Malone - Highlander/Heard

Erhoff/Bigras - EJ
Hejda/Siemens - Barrie
Benoit - Wilson

Varly
Giggy/Aitto/Pickard

would really be just some experience away from being legit cup contenders with the young pieces in position to replace most of our oldest vets, Giggy - Aitto/Martin/Pickard, Hejda - Siemens, Erhoff/Campbell - Bigras, maybe Tanguay - Sgar/Hish/Smith/Bourke.

That just seems like the perfect set up to develop our young talent to it's maximum potential, which is something I'd take the hit to our prospect pool of missing 1 first round pick for.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It would improve it, no doubt but I'm really hoping we don't jump the gun on any transactions unless it's something too good to pass up. I want EJ to establish himself as the top guy on the team and continue his strong play for a good part of the season so he can regain his confidence before we start bringing new guys in.

It's going to take a while to exorcise the 'Sacco' fully from his game. :laugh:

That's part of why I'd want an Erhoff or a Campbell who could come in and help EJ's confidence in the offensive zone even more, while also letting us put Hejda back with barrie on what was an excellent second pairing last season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Ehrhoff could be a good target, but I think people are underestimating the risk on his contract. Even if the cap goes up, $4M is still a fair amount, and they don't have any idea what level he could be playing at in 8 years. He might completely fall off the map.

Buying out the last few years of his deal won't be cheap either. He'll still be costing $3,333,333 towards the cap up until the last year of his deal, plus a few hundred thousand a year afterwards, depending on what year they buy him out.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
I would love to get Ehrhoff. If I were the Avs I would also look at getting a player like Josi or Kulikov in addition to Ehrhoff. I know the later would require moving SoS most likely in addition to a prospect and a pick but it would be worth it. A top four of:

Johnson-Ehrhoff/Josi/

Hedja/Barrie-Ehrhoff/Josi

(Or the same thing with a similar players)

That top four is worthy of our offensive and goaltending the one we have know is not.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would love to get Ehrhoff. If I were the Avs I would also look at getting a player like Josi or Kulikov in addition to Ehrhoff. I know the later would require moving SoS most likely in addition to a prospect and a pick but it would be worth it. A top four of:

Johnson-Ehrhoff/Josi/

Hedja/Barrie-Ehrhoff/Josi

(Or the same thing with a similar players)

That top four is worthy of our offensive and goaltending the one we have know is not.

The Preds have no reason to move Josi. They just re-signed him for 7 years, and like having a deep D unit.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
The Preds have no reason to move Josi. They just re-signed him for 7 years, and like having a deep D unit.

They also lack offense and Josi has shown some injury issues. Josi is the biggest movable piece they have and would fetch a good price. Seth Jones has made him redundant and a Stastny Package depending on the extras could be enough. I am not saying we would get Josi but rather the Avs should target someone like him.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
This contract is actually good for the Avs:
Ehrhoff :
SEASON / NHL SALARY / CAP HIT / Age

2013-14 / $4,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 31
2014-15 / $4,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 32
2015-16 / $4,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 33
2016-17 / $4,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 34
2017-18 / $3,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 35
2018-19 / $1,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 36
2019-20 / $1,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 37
2020-21 / $1,000,000 / $4,000,000 / 38
8years / 22,000,000 / 32,000,000
-Actual salary is far less than the cap hit (bonus for the owners)
-Ehrhoff should easily be able to play @ 4m level until he's 35
-He'll likely "retire" or be kindly bought out before the 2018-19 season.
-Avs would not be liable for any cap recapture penalty

I'd be over the moon if Ehrhoff would be had for our 1st + a Sgar or Hishon even if Adam did not come back

Ehrhoff-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Benoit

looks very solid to me

I think Ehrhoff could be a good target, but I think people are underestimating the risk on his contract. Even if the cap goes up, $4M is still a fair amount, and they don't have any idea what level he could be playing at in 8 years. He might completely fall off the map.

Buying out the last few years of his deal won't be cheap either. He'll still be costing $3,333,333 towards the cap up until the last year of his deal, plus a few hundred thousand a year afterwards, depending on what year they buy him out.

If Aslan is right, we won't have any penalty for buying him out.. right? If there is no risk at the end of the contract Ehrhoff would be a great target. Campbell could be too if they retain some salary

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If he retires, the Sabres will be on the hook for the $3.33M recapture penalty for 3 years, not the Avs. If he is bought out, the Avs will have a buy out cap hit of $3.33M for 3 years. I think next year is the last year you can use the buy out where it doesn't count against your cap. After that it's the same as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad