Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Ok fine for drafted players but what about if they come up with an agreement for players under contract who want to move? Is it out of the realm of possibility that they come up with an agreement like they have in soccer where teams pay $$ to transfer rights of players under contract?

I would be surprised if they open up to poaching players under contract. None of the other transfer agreements have ever worked that way and I don't think either NHL or KHL wants to risk losing face by having the other league steal big names from the other.

When it comes to Radulov, we know three things. He's under contract until 2016, making $9M/year. He's not allowed to sign with a NHL team while under contract. Players can terminate contracts in the KHL but then they have to pay 2/3 of the remaining salary to their team to buy out their contract.

This leaves two scenarios:

1) Radulov plays in the KHL 2015-2016, earns $9M and then is free to do whatever he wants next summer.
2) Radulov pays $6M to buy out his contract so he can sign with a NHL team, making $6-7M/year, basically losing out on $8-9M. Even more if you account for there being no taxes on the $9M in Russia and significant taxes on a NHL salary.

Radulov might swim across an ocean to play for Roy, but I don't think he'll give up $8M+ to do it.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I would be surprised if they open up to poaching players under contract. None of the other transfer agreements have ever worked that way and I don't think either NHL or KHL wants to risk losing face by having the other league steal big names from the other.

When it comes to Radulov, we know three things. He's under contract until 2016, making $9M/year. He's not allowed to sign with a NHL team while under contract. Players can terminate contracts in the KHL but then they have to pay 2/3 of the remaining salary to their team to buy out their contract.

1) Radulov plays in the KHL 2015-2016, earns $9M and then is free to do whatever he wants next summer.
2) Radulov pays $6M to buy out his contract so he can sign with a NHL team, making $6-7M/year, basically losing out on $8-9M. Even more if you account for there being no taxes on the $9M in Russia and significant taxes on a NHL salary.

Radulov might swim across an ocean to play for Roy, but I don't think he'll give up $8M+ to do it.

Shadyness aside is there anything from stopping mr three commas kroenke from footing that 6 million to the khl club?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Radulov doesn't make $9m in the KHL, he makes 300m rubles. At the current conversion rate that is about 5.4m USD.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Actually, I think the exchange rate right now has him making closer to 6 million. Points still stand though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Shadyness aside is there anything from stopping mr three commas kroenke from footing that 6 million to the khl club?

Apart from Kroenke probably not wanting to spend that much money to get a player for one year, it might be against the CBA both in NHL and KHL.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd take Eller over Pleks all factors considered.

And shame on you Badger for mentioning Gallagher. One of my favorites and one of the least likely return pieces.

Really? Definitely in Eller's favour that he has 3 years left on his contract compared to Plekanec's 1 year, but Plekanec is a far, far better player. Eller's career high is 30 points and that came in the lockout shortened season. He's notorious for having very good starts to the season but falling off a cliff as the season progresses. I'd argue Plekanec is also better defensively.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Eller is younger, his deal carries him through the tough cap years ahead, I think he is better than his stats show in Montreal (ny own untrained eye test and I think DD stayed in the top 6 in place of Eller because Eller is a better fit on the 3rd line than DD).

I know Pleks is better currently, but my long term outlook is that over 3-5 years (as Pleks would need re-signed) Eller would contribute more than Pleks.

edit: I've been an Eller fan for a while and think he still has some upside to reach, so some rose tinted lenses are probably in play

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
No doubt Plekanec is the better player but I could see why Eller would be more appealing to some. He's younger, cheaper, has years left on his deal, and is better on faceoffs. He's probably better suited to be on the 3rd line too which would allow MacKinnon to play center.

I think if the package is the same either way and you can choose between Plekanec/Eller, I'm still taking Plekanec because he's better. If you can get a better secondary piece by taking Eller instead of Plekanec, I might go with Eller in that scenario. Another thing to consider is the Habs cap situation. Plekanec's salary would work just fine but Avs might have to take on an additional contract if it's Eller.

Having said all that, I hope we don't trade with the Habs.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
No doubt Plekanec is the better player but I could see why Eller would be more appealing to some. He's younger, cheaper, has years left on his deal, and is better on faceoffs. He's probably better suited to be on the 3rd line too which would allow MacKinnon to play center.

I think if the package is the same either way and you can choose between Plekanec/Eller, I'm still taking Plekanec because he's better. If you can get a better secondary piece by taking Eller instead of Plekanec, I might go with Eller in that scenario. Another thing to consider is the Habs cap situation. Plekanec's salary would work just fine but Avs might have to take on an additional contract if it's Eller.

Having said all that, I hope we don't trade with the Habs.

Eller is the better acquisition because of age, size, versatility, contract, faceoffs and the fact that he ups his game in the playoffs. Plekanec is the better overall player for now but let's say we acquire him and are happy with him, does he take a pay cut to remain with the Avs? Unlikely.

Plekanec is 32 (will be 33 in October) and has 1 year left at $5M. What would it cost to re-sign him? The same amount? More?

Meanwhile, Eller just turned 26, can slot in as 3C or Top 6 Winger and has 3 years left at $3.5M. The choice is pretty easy in my opinion.

I personally don't believe the gap between both players to be as big as some might think. Eller hasn't been consistently put in a top-6 scoring role in Montreal. He's adapted to playing a more defensive game rather well.

AslanRH made 2 great points:

- about DD fitting in as a top-6 much better than a 3rd line C thereby almost forcing Eller in that 3C role

- Eller having a cheaper cap hit over the next 3 years (tough cap years for the Avs)

My choice would be Eller because of all those factors and also because I think the best is still yet to come with this player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
207rqqo.jpg

If I could have an avi this would be it. Amazing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Neither Eller or Plecks should be a big piece in a ROR deal. Montreal really doesn't have many good pieces that fit, and those that do, they may not be willing to trade (Gally/Beaulieu).

Eller is an all the tools, no toolbox sort of player. He should be much better than he is, but at his age, he is what he is... a solid #3C. Nothing more, nothing less. Plecks is a much, much better player, but older. He probably has 2-3 seasons left of really good top 6 play and maybe couple more as a #3C after that.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Neither Eller or Plecks should be a big piece in a ROR deal. Montreal really doesn't have many good pieces that fit, and those that do, they may not be willing to trade (Gally/Beaulieu).

Eller is an all the tools, no toolbox sort of player. He should be much better than he is, but at his age, he is what he is... a solid #3C. Nothing more, nothing less. Plecks is a much, much better player, but older. He probably has 2-3 seasons left of really good top 6 play and maybe couple more as a #3C after that.

Eller is a great 3C who would be an upgrade over mitchell, and could fill in on the top 6 if needed, he is just displaced by pleks and DD. I feel the same about Gally, he could be a top 6 center, but Mt keeps putting him on the wing with low quality line mates and benches him with any small mistake.

If it was ROR + 2nd for Galy Eller and montreal's first I would do it. Try gally at center with mack on the wing and they would fly, and if it fails shift mack back to wing.

I originally was all for ROR for d man, but looking at the roster if we trade ROR we either open up a hole at 1a/1b center or 1a/1b rw. There are a lot more middle pairing/top pairing/existing prospects in bigras/siemens left handed free defenseman free agents to fill a hole then quality second line centers and right wingers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Eller is a great 3C who would be an upgrade over mitchell, and could fill in on the top 6 if needed, he is just displaced by pleks and DD. I feel the same about Gally, he could be a top 6 center, but Mt keeps putting him on the wing with low quality line mates and benches him with any small mistake.

If it was ROR + 2nd for Galy Eller and montreal's first I would do it. Try gally at center with mack on the wing and they would fly, and if it fails shift mack back to wing.

I originally was all for ROR for d man, but looking at the roster if we trade ROR we either open up a hole at 1a/1b center or 1a/1b rw. There are a lot more middle pairing/top pairing/existing prospects in bigras/siemens left handed free defenseman free agents to fill a hole then quality second line centers and right wingers.

I wouldn't call him a great #3C... he is a solid one. Better than Mitchell, no argument there at all, but a big step down from the Frans Nielsen/Cody Eakin types.

All Avs fans would likely do that deal, but Montreal wouldn't touch it. ROR for Gally + makes a lot of sense for both sides, but I doubt any Montreal fan would be willing to discuss that.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I wouldn't call him a great #3C... he is a solid one. Better than Mitchell, no argument there at all, but a big step down from the Frans Nielsen/Cody Eakin types.

All Avs fans would likely do that deal, but Montreal wouldn't touch it. ROR for Gally + makes a lot of sense for both sides, but I doubt any Montreal fan would be willing to discuss that.

Yeah I got a little too excited for Ellers, he is definitely not an elite 3C but I would say he is a solid B to B+ who has a bit more tools, but is a definite upgrade over Mitchell and is on a decent cap hit.

I think Gally + would be good, guy has potential to be almost as good as Duchene.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think Gally + would be good, guy has potential to be almost as good as Duchene.

I like Gallagher as much as the next guy, but what you see is what you get. 110% effort, does everything quite well, makes himself noticeable on almost every shift, etc. Duchene, however, clearly has star-level talent and simply much higher potential. Don't see them being close at all.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I like Gallagher as much as the next guy, but what you see is what you get. 110% effort, does everything quite well, makes himself noticeable on almost every shift, etc. Duchene, however, clearly has star-level talent and simply much higher potential. Don't see them being close at all.

My bad I meant galy as in chucky as in galchenyuk. I need to catch up on the Habs nicknames

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Oh, you're probably right and that is actually Galchenyuk's nickname. I'm likely wrong.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Eller is the better acquisition because of age, size, versatility, contract, faceoffs and the fact that he ups his game in the playoffs. Plekanec is the better overall player for now but let's say we acquire him and are happy with him, does he take a pay cut to remain with the Avs? Unlikely.

Plekanec is 32 (will be 33 in October) and has 1 year left at $5M. What would it cost to re-sign him? The same amount? More?

Meanwhile, Eller just turned 26, can slot in as 3C or Top 6 Winger and has 3 years left at $3.5M. The choice is pretty easy in my opinion.

I personally don't believe the gap between both players to be as big as some might think. Eller hasn't been consistently put in a top-6 scoring role in Montreal. He's adapted to playing a more defensive game rather well.

AslanRH made 2 great points:

- about DD fitting in as a top-6 much better than a 3rd line C thereby almost forcing Eller in that 3C role

- Eller having a cheaper cap hit over the next 3 years (tough cap years for the Avs)

My choice would be Eller because of all those factors and also because I think the best is still yet to come with this player.

Eller is not a top 6 winger. 5 full years and only once has be had decent points. And at 26, how much more should he improve? It's not like he is still a prospect in the developmental stage. His stats are no better than Mitchell's and half this fan base is trying to figure out how to bump Mitchell down to the 4th line.

And I don't buy the whole idea that he was forced into the 3c role. Sure, maybe that's where he was needed, but if he had top6 skills he would still get time in the top6. Andrew Shaw bounced from the 3rd and 2nd line constantly the other year. And if he had top6 skills he would at least get PP time.

Cheaper cap hit, sure, in the sense that he makes less. But when looking at cap hits I prefer to look at how much said player makes vs how much they should. 3.5 is an overpayment for a 30 point player.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
As I thought, KHL big shots don't want to bend over backwards and there will be no transfer agreement. Finnish link.

I don't know what they were thinking. That the agreement would work both ways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad