Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Oh and if we're talking offer sheets we shoud be talking Tyler Toffoli, not Tarasenko. We cant afford to pay 9 million or give up 4 1st rounders. We can afford to put LA in troube though while adding more speed and net crashing to our team. I think he'd look great with Duchene.

i don't think toffoli is the guy to go after if we want a guy to crash the net and add more speed.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
i don't think toffoli is the guy to go after if we want a guy to crash the net and add more speed.

Why not? He skates well and drives to the net hard. I wouldn't classify him as a power forward but he certainly does those two things well.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Why not? He skates well and drives to the net hard. I wouldn't classify him as a power forward but he certainly does those two things well.

he skates well but doesn't really bring speed. more of a shiftiness. skating made him fall in the draft and though he's improved, he's not a burner.

when i hear roy talking about wanting a player to drive the net i picture player who can power his way there. toffoli doesn't really do that, more of a finesse way.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Troy Brouwer! $3.75m hit just for next season and then a UFA, we can re-assess then. Always loved his game.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm pretty sure his contract will come close to doing that without an offersheet.

aka why we should sign MacK to a long term deal ASAP before he requires Toews/Kane money. If we can agree to an 8 year deal this summer we'd be idiots not to, even if it's for 7-8per.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
aka why we should sign MacK to a long term deal ASAP before he requires Toews/Kane money. If we can agree to an 8 year deal this summer we'd be idiots not to, even if it's for 7-8per.

MacK will not get Toews/Kane money without winning either cups, or scoring trophies. Won't come close to it, actually.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
He is 24 and it's a ELC. Forced to be 1 year.

I didn't know 1 year ELCs existed. I knew there were 2 years for older prospects. Oh well, is he a RFA at the end of the next year?

Looking forward to another Everberg-esque player. Except he sounds more physical and not as much potential for offense as Everberg. Sounds like Martinsen can be better suited for a 4th line role.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I didn't know 1 year ELCs existed. I knew there were 2 years for older prospects. Oh well, is he a RFA at the end of the next year?

Looking forward to another Everberg-esque player. Except he sounds more physical and not as much potential for offense as Everberg. Sounds like Martinsen can be better suited for a 4th line role.

Age 18-21 is 3 years.
22-23 is 2 years
24 is 1 year
25+ no restrictions*.

* A one-year entry-level restriction applies to drafted players from Europe aged 25 to 27.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
MacK will not get Toews/Kane money without winning either cups, or scoring trophies. Won't come close to it, actually.

********. If MacK is given a bridge deal like some on here argued for he'd be looking at easily over 9.5 per when the time for a long term deal came. That's not quite Toews/Kane money but it is close. Hell he could probably get 8.5-9 if we don't sign him until next summer and he breaks 30-35 goals while being close to PPG, which wouldn't be much of a stretch if that Landy-ROR-MacK line gets a full season together.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
********. If MacK is given a bridge deal like some on here argued for he'd be looking at easily over 9.5 per when the time for a long term deal came. That's not quite Toews/Kane money but it is close. Hell he could probably get 8.5-9 if we don't sign him until next summer and he breaks 30-35 goals while being close to PPG, which wouldn't be much of a stretch if that Landy-ROR-MacK line gets a full season together.

Not a chance. For MacKinnon to get 8.5-9, he's going to have to be above PPG and be in the conversation for Art Ross/Hart trophies. It's not going to happen if he's simply putting up near PPP numbers. That gets you Duchene money or slightly more, not near Toews/Kane money.

On another note, add Martinsen to the list of players expected to compete for a bottom-6 spot in training camp.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If you believe that MacK is an 85+ point sort of player, ~9m isn't even close to out of the question in 3 seasons. I wouldn't even say 10 out out of the question. If he goes 80-85-90 in points during those seasons, we would be lucky for his next deal to be $9m per. If he is PPG next year and wants a long term deal, low 8s would be a great number for him long term. This summer might be the only chance the Avs have a shot at getting a discounted long term deal.

Before you all burn me at the stake... just remember Stamkos is a UFA next season (next market reset), Kane and Towes make 10.5m, Perry's deal has been in effect for 2 seasons at 8.65m, and Kessel started an $8m per contract this year. If MacK ends up being a PPG player, we are looking at mid 8s. PPG+... the 9s.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I would offer sheet tarasenko pretty hard. He would be amazing next to Duchene but if they didn't match 4 first round picks and the loss of O'Reilly due to cap space would probably not be worth it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
MacKinnon has 4 RFA years left, it's not going to require 8M. Let's see what EJ gets first. They are going to take time with this. And I think MacK will have a good season next year but not 80+.

On another note, add Martinsen to the list of players expected to compete for a bottom-6 spot in training camp

Last week many worried Martinsen wasn't good enough to sign, now he's going to make the opening night roster? Anyone want to avatar bet me that Cliche won't be on the opening night roster (might not be in the lineup but on the roster)?

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I would offer sheet tarasenko pretty hard. He would be amazing next to Duchene but if they didn't match 4 first round picks and the loss of O'Reilly due to cap space would probably not be worth it.

We are not going to offersheet anyone and highly unlikely anyone does. It's an unspoken thing not to do it. Do we want our RFAs offersheeted? Then let's not go there.

Finleafer

May 15, 2015
Tried to post this on another thread but didn't get any replies so came here to ask if I'm way out of line with this one:

I've been thinking that there could be a trade to be made between the Avs and the Leafs that probably neither fan base loves at first sight:

James van Riemsdyk + Jake Gardiner + 2nd/16 for Ryan O'Reilly and 10th ovr (+cap dump if needed)

Avalanche gets a solid 1st line winger with a great contract status and a left handed PMD in Gardiner who seemed to get back on track after the departure of Carlyle. Leafs would take a gamble with the possibility of O'Reilly hitting the open market regardless of Leafs's contract offers which would probably be somewhere in the 7m+ region. Leafs could afford to offer that given the upcoming rebuild. O'Reilly could also get a letter and the team leading position he seems to grave. If O'Reilly is set to test the open market as UFA, the Leafs are let moaning with only the 10th overall pick in this years draft and whatever they get for ROR at the deadline for JVR, Gardiner and 2nd which would be a disappointment in value of course.

JVR and Gardiner would both slide in nicely to the Avs core and cost approximately what O'Reilly's extension would cost for the Avs giving them more flexibility with the cap. Leafs could probably take a cap dump too giving Avs even more room to improve their team with UFA LHD or a center if MacKinnon is preferred as winger (Sekera, Beauchemin, Söderberg maybe?).

Value-wise I've thought that:

JVR = Early 1st/15 + A prospect + roster player
Gardiner = 2nd + B prospect
1 year of O'Reilly = Mid-Late 1st/16 + A prospect (O'Reilly would fetch mid-late 1st round pick at the trade deadline from a contender, next seasons effort for acquiring team would then cost A prospect)

Which would get us to early 1st/15 + 2nd + 2nd + A prosp + B prosp + roster player <> early 1st/15 + mid-late 1st/16 + A prosp

Eliminating the equal value draft picks and prospects would leave us

Two 2nds + B prospect + roster player for 1st/16 which I think is fair value wise.

What do you guys think, am I even close with this one?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't need to read any further that there's no way in hell #10 goes without a higher pick coming back. This offer isn't going to go well here. You should have left it on the main board, FYI.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
O'Reilly is better than JVR. With his contract situation and JVR signed long-term, maybe a one for one deal is fair value, even though personally I wouldn't do it because we need defense.

The 10th pick isn't going anywhere in a deal like that though. Gardiner isn't good and I don't think he got back on track after Carlyle was fired. He looked as bad as ever.

Finleafer

May 15, 2015
Well that sums it up pretty well, no need for further opinions I guess. Would love to have O'Reilly playing for the Leafs, have a huge man crush for the guy.

Sorry for intruding here, still learning :help:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Well that sums it up pretty well, no need for further opinions I guess. Would love to have O'Reilly playing for the Leafs, have a huge man crush for the guy.

Sorry for intruding here, still learning :help:

No worries. You're more than welcome here. Can we talk about Morgan Rielly now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad