Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoppaForsberg*

Some people are just gunna ***** and complain. Better to just let them throw their hissy fit and ignore it.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Not to mention the Sakic and ROR situations are different. ROR is still signed this summer. If Sakic has not yet traded O'Reilly this time next year, then I'll fully jump on the "making the same mistake again" bandwagon.

I'm an early adopter.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
So because Sakic didn't trade Stastny last year, that means that he's forever going to "make this mistake"? (I used "" because I don't believe hanging on to Stastny was a mistake--at least not for the rumored returns for Rentals last year, and not for what he brought to the team in the Playoffs)

Come on AB....

He did the same thing with Hejda this year RL, no?

And Stastny would have brought a fine return last year. Anyone who believes that a player who commanded a $7M multiyear salary 3 months after the deadline, would have only brought back a 2nd round pick at the deadline 3 months earlier, is completely misguided.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen nothing from Sakic that indicates he knows how to do anything but the following two things with upcoming UFAs: sign them, or let them play out their contracts and leave. What other past performance do we have?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Honestly, if you can't trust Sakic when he says the ROR situation will not become a distraction next season then you obviously are not interested in discussing it and therefore wasting everyone's time.

So glad to see your open mindedness of other peoples' opinions. Nice.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Where were you yesterday, AB? Could have used the backup when discussing not trading Hejda.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I trust Sakic and Roy until they give me a reason not to. Stastny was a different situation. If ROR ends up walking for free, I'll switch sides. Until then, I'll trust they know what they're doing.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Where were you yesterday, AB? Could have used the backup when discussing not trading Hejda.

Sorry. Was traveling, had a cancelled flight, did 3 airports instead of one, etc.

Plus, I didn't want to post angry. :)

Who else was vocal about Sakic's ineptitude?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
In order for ror not to be on the market sakic/roy must have had talks with him/agent and they went well. If not it's a very dumb move by sakic/roy

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I trust Sakic and Roy until they give me a reason not to.

Aside from blind homerism….why?

Why is trust freely given and distrust earned? Why isn't trust earned? Or at least a neutral starting point for both?

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
So what does our lineup look like now? We basically got rid of two starters and "maybe" brought one in with Caron so..... We have an open spot.

Xx-Matty-Iggy
Landy-ROR-MacK
Tangs-Malkin-Everbeast
Cloudy-MaC-Caron

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
So what does our lineup look like now? We basically got rid of two starters and "maybe" brought one in with Caron so..... We have an open spot.

Xx-Matty-Iggy
Landy-ROR-MacK
Tangs-Malkin-Everbeast
Cloudy-MaC-Caron

supposedly:
landeskog-o'reilly-mackinnon
caron-duchene-iginla
tanguay-mitchell-everberg
McLeod-cliché-hishon

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Sorry. Was traveling, had a cancelled flight, did 3 airports instead of one, etc.

Plus, I didn't want to post angry. :)

Who else was vocal about Sakic's ineptitude?

Me again. But I try to sugar coat everything I say here as much as possible

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I wish Boston threw Cunningham in the deal as well instead of just throwing him on waivers. He easily would've been an upgrade over some of our bottom 6.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Me again. But I try to sugar coat everything I say here as much as possible

Good man.

I really can't see how anyone can defend Sakic not moving Hejda, given the returns defensemen were getting for a week.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Aside from blind homerism….why?

Why is trust freely given and distrust earned? Why isn't trust earned? Or at least a neutral starting point for both?

The Kroenke's are smart people. You don't become a billionaire by being an idiot. I generally trust smart people to hire other capable, competent people. Up to this point Sakic and Roy have done nothing extremely stupid or smart. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I'm not saying you should leave or change loyalties. Sometimes I wish it was that easy. :laugh: but you yourself just said "I honestly do not believe their approach has a chance for success". Stop and think about that. That's a profound statement. If you really, really believe that I think you (or anyone) need to decide what that means.

I really do believe the same, and continue to think my reasoning is sound. But when you've grown up with the organization your entire life, continuing to watch and discuss and root for your team in the face of probability is just what you do. It's part and parcel with being a sports fan. The best one can do is maybe be less emotionally involved and follow at a bit more of a distance. I know I've personally gone from levying criticism against the organization daily to just watching and not commenting until some reasons to be positive present themselves. There a variety of reasons for that, but ultimately we're far enough from the start of the rebuild to get a sense of what we have and where we're going. Its just disappointing to see opportunity squandered.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Good man.

I really can't see how anyone can defend Sakic not moving Hejda, given the returns defensemen were getting for a week.

Perhaps nobody wanted him? I think you're just being ignorant to assume he didn't try. And so we do trade him? Who takes his place in the lineup? You have to think like Roy does and in his mind we can still make the playoffs

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Perhaps nobody wanted him? I think you're just being ignorant to assume he didn't try.

Nope. Sorry, Zen. I'm not giving Sakic that benefit of the doubt anymore. We heard that "he may have tried" with at least two UFA defensemen this past Summer, and now we're going to dip into that well again? Not me. Not going there anymore.

Some fairly mid-range defensemen got good returns. There's no reason on earth why Hejda couldn't have been one of them.

Well, I take that back. There is one reason on earth: that the decision maker for Colorado doesn't know how to get it done.

Trying is nice, but successful people get it done. I have no problem with how hard Cliche or Guenin 'try'. They both still suck.

And so we do trade him? Who takes his place in the lineup? You have to think like Roy does and in his mind we can still make the playoffs

Oh good Lord, come on. The Avs are not making the playoffs, and everyone knows it. Please. Who cares who takes Hejda's place for the last 20 games of a lost season? That's the whole point. Does anyone in Toronto care who's going to take Franson's place? Or anyone in Carolina care who's taking Sekera's place? Or anyone in Edmonton care who's taking Petry's place?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Perhaps nobody wanted him? I think you're just being ignorant to assume he didn't try. And so we do trade him? Who takes his place in the lineup? You have to think like Roy does and in his mind we can still make the playoffs

And that's another problem... Who is making this calls Sakic or Roy???

I never liked that configuration where Roy is making these calls, or at least having an active voice in this.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It doesn't constitute a why because it's not the same situation. Roy and Sakic came on board when Stastny was one year away from UFA. They didn't have an opportunity to see what they had in him and what he was worth. What if Stastny never moved away from his 50pt self? Would he be worth 7M for 50 points a season? There's only so much defense you can provide and then you need to provide offense as well.

Honestly, if you can't trust Sakic when he says the ROR situation will not become a distraction next season then you obviously are not interested in discussing it and therefore wasting everyone's time.

It's panic for the sake of panic.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The Kroenke's are smart people. You don't become a billionaire by being an idiot. I generally trust smart people to hire other capable, competent people. Up to this point Sakic and Roy have done nothing extremely stupid or smart. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

I've been hearing some version of this narrative from sports fans all my life. Your ability to make money in other businesses has no bearing on your ability to run a successful sports franchise when it comes to drafting, trading, development. Just like being a hall of fame athlete doesn't prepare you to be an executive or manager. Take the Edmonton Oilers as a case study. I'm not saying either of those things condemn Kroenke or Sakic or Roy - just that they can't be used as real points in their favor if debating in good faith.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Oh good Lord, come on. The Avs are not making the playoffs, and everyone knows it. Please. Who cares who takes Hejda's place for the last 20 games of a lost season? That's the whole point. Does anyone in Toronto care who's going to take Franson's place? Or anyone in Carolina care who's taking Sekera's place? Or anyone in Edmonton care who's taking Petry's place?

Of course we care who is taking Hejda's place. What are we going to do next season if Hejda doesn't resign? If Hejda resigns we can boot Geunin to the press box. If we were to trade him Geunin could be playing anywhere in the line up. Hell maybe even Stuart ends back on the top pairing next season. Is that what you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad