Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I remember when Wisniewski was in Montreal. Man was he good with them, especially in the playoffs. He looked like a top-10 defenseman to me. Of course that's not what he is but he definitely steps his game up in big games

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If the hypothetical deal was Myers why are we still scouting them?

Because they're still highly interested in ROR. That's also the job of a pro scout. You spend most of your time scouting players and teams you don't ever trade with or for. It's part of the due diligence.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wiz would be a great add for his PP skills, but he would cost too much IMO. Those assets would be better of being spent to solve the left side or backfilling the ROR void after the trade.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Do you have that quote I wasn't able to find that either? He said in his press conference after the Enroth trade, that they had talked to Dallas a couple days prior and planned to touch base on the day of the trade.

Start at the 14:00 mark...

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=749938&catid=1373

[nhl]749938[/nhl]

It's quite a stretch for them to be using the Enroth trade as proof he "lied" ... in fact it's not even a stretch .. its flat out wrong.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Because they're still highly interested in ROR. That's also the job of a pro scout. You spend most of your time scouting players and teams you don't ever trade with or for. It's part of the due diligence.

You also may have a scout that lives in the area.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
I always find it funny when people pick and choose which speculations are fair to make, based on whether they agree with a certain opinion or not.

This is a hockey message board consisting mostly of fans that don't work for NHL teams. Meaning 99% of comments made regarding trades are speculation.

The Avs didn't talk to Murray for a long time. The Sabres subsequently traded Myers somewhere else. The Avs have yet to make a trade for a D man, and appear very hesitant to trade ROR before the summer. Those are all either facts or very easy assumptions to be made.

Not sure why some people think having an opinion on whether the Avs should have made a trade or not, requires proof in a court of law, and there can't be any speculation involved. If that were the case, this thread should not exist.

Ironically, you are doing the same saying that the Avs didn't have a talk with the Sabres. If you would have listen to the interview, you would have known that GM's aren't allowed to talk about players not part of their organization. Also, do you really think Murray will disclose information of whom he wants to trade for? No GM does that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Ironically, you are doing the same saying that the Avs didn't have a talk with the Sabres. If you would have listen to the interview, you would have known that GM's aren't allowed to talk about players not part of their organization. Also, do you really think Murray will disclose information of whom he wants to trade for? No GM does that.

I did in fact listen to the interview, and he flat out said he hadn't talked to Joe since the WJC. Did you skip over that part? Unless you want to take part in a much greater speculation that he's flat out lying, I don't really see what you're getting at here.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
I did in fact listen to the interview, and he quite clearly said he hadn't talked to Joe since the WJC. So unless you want to take part in a much greater speculation that he's flat out lying, I don't really see what you're getting at here.

Again, have you ever seen a GM say right in the open on an interview: ''I am interested in acquiring this guy.'' If he wants O'Reilly, what would be his advantage to disclose this kind of information? It's not about lying, it's about protecting themselves.

I am not saying, he's lying but sometime you really need to take some statement with a grain of salt. Nobody knows what's going on right now other than both organizations.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Start at the 14:00 mark...

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=749938&catid=1373

[nhl]749938[/nhl]

It's quite a stretch for them to be using the Enroth trade as proof he "lied" ... in fact it's not even a stretch .. its flat out wrong.

Thanks. He's very much leaving open the possibility of a future trade, even that day joking that it might happen if he could get to his phone.

Also this didn't occur to me, but of course he wasn't trying to imply he was done dealing before the Enfroth trade. He's not turning the phone off before the deadline, he's got other players he'd like to move.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Roy has a list of teams he talks with... entirely possible that Buffalo is one of those teams. Murray doesn't have to be lying in saying he hasn't talked with Sakic about a trade, but is still talking with the Avs about a trade.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Thanks. He's very much leaving open the possibility of a future trade, even that day joking that it might happen if he could get to his phone.

Also this didn't occur to me, but of course he wasn't trying to imply he was done dealing before the Enfroth trade. He's not turning the phone off before the deadline, he's got other players he'd like to move.

Yup...and about the 14: 40ish mark when he's talking about Nolan ..you can see him pause and look over to the side which im guessing is his phone ... I wouldn't be surprised if that was Nill calling right that moment.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Such a shame. I was starting to get very excited about a Pysyk and Hodgson return.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
Sakic should just go down the FA list and 'sort' by potential rated out of 5 stars and make offers to those at least 3 and a half green or gold stars.

Sign at least 6 of them and watch em develop in the minors before ultimately making the show. Combine that with top flight FA's and watch the dynasty begin.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Again, have you ever seen a GM say right in the open on an interview: ''I am interested in acquiring this guy.'' If he wants O'Reilly, what would be his advantage to disclose this kind of information?

Again, I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. I haven't really brought up anything about Murray's vocal interest in ROR, or anything to do with why he's not specifically talking about him.

What I've been saying is Sakic and Murray hadn't talked in over a month, and the Sabres traded Myers somewhere else. Unless you want to call Murray a liar, and that he did in fact talk to Sakic, those things are true.

What I'm drawing from that is the Avs IMO didn't work hard enough to close that deal. You can disagree that they should have, or whether Myers would have been a good addition or not, but it's pretty clear they didn't work very hard to close that particular deal, and now it's gone.

There's various reasons for why that may have happened, such as them not liking the time frame or giving up ROR during the season, or them not liking the pieces that were involved, but it's clear they weren't working hard to negotiated that down in their favor at that particular time. Maybe they were planning on doing that later, but as we see, if that were the case it clearly wasn't the best strategy. They were either waiting or didn't like the deal or the player.

As a result they don't have a defenseman as of yet, and we're sitting here just like we have been for years, hoping they've got a good move up their sleeves. Hopefully they do and it doesn't matter that they weren't trying harder to make this move when it was available.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
Again, I'm not really sure what you're getting at here. I haven't really brought up anything about Murray's vocal interest in ROR, or anything to do with why he's not specifically talking about him.

What I've been saying is Sakic and Murray hadn't talked in over a month, and the Sabres traded Myers somewhere else. Unless you want to call Murray a liar, and that he did in fact talk to Sakic, those things are true.

What I'm drawing from that is the Avs IMO didn't work hard enough to close that deal. You can disagree that they should have, or whether Myers would have been a good addition or not, but it's pretty clear they didn't work very hard to close that particular deal, and now it's gone.

There's various reasons for why that may have happened, such as them not liking the time frame or giving up ROR during the season, or them not liking the pieces that were involved, but it's clear they weren't working hard to negotiated that down in their favor at that particular time. Maybe they were planning on doing that later, but as we see, if that were the case it clearly wasn't the best strategy. They were either waiting or didn't like the deal or the player.

As a result they don't have a defenseman as of yet, and we're sitting here just like we have been for years, hoping they've got a good move up their sleeves. Hopefully they do.

The Avs were maybe not as much in favor in Myers. Will see what happen, no one knows at the moment. I'm just not worried one bit.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Are you reading what I am postin or what???? What makes you think that Murray didn't speak to Sakic last week??? Like I said, they don't need to disclose this kind of information and they usually don't!!!

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. In the same interview you keep acting like I didn't listen to, and just like I posted earlier, MURRAY SAID HE HASN'T TALKED TO SAKIC SINCE THE WJC!!!!

It has nothing to do with avoiding tampering, or not disclosing information. He's disclosing that they haven't talked. If you want to call him a flat out liar that's up to you, but you have no basis for bringing up speculation if that's the case.

The Avs were maybe not as much in favor in Myers. Will see what happen, no one knows at the moment. I'm just not worried one bit.

Which is fine. They may not have, and I understand not everyone thought Myers would be as good of an addition as I do. But we do know they at the most had left that potential move on the back burner, and he went somewhere else. We can agree or disagree on whether that was a good idea or not, and I'm sure their eventual move will play a big part in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad