Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I disagree on Oduya. I will give you that he does panic with the puck, that's terribly evident in any Chicago game but he is very sound defensively. There's a reason he and Hjalmarsson usually get the hard match-ups. If Oduya wasn't to be trusted, he wouldn't be paired with Hjalmarsson. He's better than all of those defenseman listed except for Boychuk, and given his skating ability I think it's safe to say he's got a good 4-5 years left in the tank

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I have liked Oduya in the past but this season he has really fallen off, even Hjalmarsson has trouble carrying him around.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Columbus isn't going to give all of that up for O'Reilly - not in a million years.

Maybe Jack Johnson OR Anisimov + Atkinson.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
JJ
Atkinson
Anisimov

For

ROR
Mitchell
McPing???

I can only imagine the laughter that this deal would receive in Columbus. Maybe we should invite their management to Denver and slip them something, then propose this, because that is the only way I can see the Avs not being laughed off of the phone. No team in this league will give up value half of what you suggested for O'Reilly, and McGinn and Mitchell, as serviceable as they are, do not really come close to bridging the gap.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Acquiring Jack Johnson would be one last ***** to the fancy stats community who already hate the Avs.

Last edited by a moderator:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
My gut feeling is that Hejda is not traded and that will be his choice and he will get a 1yr extension.

For all the complaining about Barrie having to carry Guenin around and therefore hurting his play, I don't understand why so many want Hejda gone and then want a similar guy like Oduya. Hejda will likely sign for less (both term and money) than a guy like Oduya will get, and Barrie would actually have a competent partner to play along side.

My guess is that the Avs will move ROR at the draft, or after FA opens and the Avs go into camp with this:

[ROR Trade] - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Holden - Stuart

the remaining 2 spots will be there for Guenin, Redmond, Siemens, etc to fight over and possibly push out one of the bottom pairing.

I am a bit worried that Phaneuf with $$ retained will end up being the deadline deal if one is made. TO should have no fear in getting ROR re-signed.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Nobody wants Hejda gone, and get a worse replacement. They want an asset for him at the deadline. And the hope is that you use that opening for a BETTER player. Hejda would be great to have next to Barrie next season. But they have all those turds already signed.

That is another problem with buying low on defenders. They have married themselves to bad, bottom pairing guys. So you can't sign another Redmond and hope he improves to be a top 4 guy. Or you can't sign those guys for 2-3 years. They are small salaries, but until we see them send one of those guys down we have to assume Cliche, Guenin, Redmond, Holden, Stuart will all be on the roster next season.

So in that thinking, we don't have room to add Hejda. But Aslan could be right. Maybe he comes back as a 2nd pair guy next season.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't think we're getting a top pairing guy for O'Reilly. If it's a young defenseman like the rumours suggest, immediately throwing him on the top pairing would probably be doing him a disservice. For years the Avs have been forcing players into much tougher roles they aren't ready for.

We badly need someone like Sekera or maybe even Paul Martin (short-term deal) to eat up minutes with EJ. That'll make things easier for others because they won't be asked to play above their skill level.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I still can't believe the Oilers are going to let Petry walk this season.

I don't know if the Oilers want Petry back but it kinda sounds like no matter what they put in front of him, he isn't signing it.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I don't know if the Oilers want Petry back but it kinda sounds like no matter what they put in front of him, he isn't signing it.

haha. Nor would I. They are playing better, but still. There are really good teams that need that #4 Right handed puck mover. He will have options.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

At least that will free up a ton of cash for JShultz extension so they can keep their core intact too.

I had such hope the two teams and their young cores would be playoff rivals for years, but now :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad