Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Gabrielle T-F ‏@gabrielletf 13h13 hours ago Moscow, Russia
Russian government decrees to limit the number of foreign athletes in the country. Expect mass exodus of foreign KHLers after the season.

Sounds like a good time to try to pick up some depth... Kovar might actually come over this summer!

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Gabrielle T-F ‏@gabrielletf 13h13 hours ago Moscow, Russia
Russian government decrees to limit the number of foreign athletes in the country. Expect mass exodus of foreign KHLers after the season.

As someone who has worked/lived in Russia as a researcher, this doesn't surprise me one bit. While not necessarily reflected by the Russian population as a whole, the nationalistic tide that continues to pulse through Moscow doesn't really favor outside talent (be it in the KHL, in a negotiating room, in a laboratory, etc.). It's too bad.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Do you guys see Hejda coming back next season?

As much as he's an upgrade on a lot of our d, I think we have too many bodies that we are committed to.

Ideally I'd like to see
xXxX-Johnson
Hejda-Barrie
Holden/Bigras-Redmond

It would be better if Hejda was replaced but I don't see it happening. I'd be happy enough with a top pairing guy and Bigras perhaps working himself into a top four role or just getting experience for the season after.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wouldn't have minded Hejda coming back for a year or two but not after the Stuart trade/extension. That move screwed things up and I think they need to move on from Hejda now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya, I'd rather the Avs sell Hejda and pick up a valuable asset(Likely a 2nd) for him at this point over a resign.

Our Defense is already looking overpopulated next year with EJ, Barrie, Stuart, Holden, Guenin, Redmond already signed for next year.

Even as it is now, I think we need to find a way to move one of these guys in order to make room for a UFA signing/Bigras. I think its best to move on from Hejda, he was great while he was here and he will be missed but its time.

He should be quite valuable at the deadline as well, if the Avs openly make him available, a bidding war likely ensues which could potentially go as high as 2nd + Prospect, or even a late 1st if a team gets really desperate for help.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Over 1000 posts in less than a week. We're so desperate for something to happen.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
If the D can be addressed as such, then I will consider the offseason a success.

X1 - Johnson
X2 - Barrie
Stuart/Bigras/Holden - Redmond

X1 - I will be fine with filling this position with someone from a potential (hopeful) ROR trade. Or a FA signing of: Green, Martin, Ehrhoff, or Sekera (doubt he comes here)

X2 - can be filled from the a non ROR trade at the deadline or FA signing of: Regehr (feel like he would be a decent stop gap and partner for Barrie), Irwin, McQuaid, Michalek, I guess Oduya (don't like him), or Boychuk (think he resigns)

There are a decent amount of middle pairing options out there, but the top pairing ish guys are running out since they're being acquired while we stand put and try to not mess up chemistry and want to give them a shot since they owe it to them. That was actually said by Roy or Sakic not sure who.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'd much rather have him as a #3C than Eller (I think Anisimov can pass as a #2 for a while if needed)... but yeah, he would likely cost too much.

his scoring #s 5on5 have been very good (except this year) for the jackets. 1st line production. he sucks on the pp though. not a creative player, doesn't know how to take advantage of extra time and space. might have been misused also a bit.

i think he would be fine as 2C between mack and landy. if mack eventually becomes a center, it pushes him to 3rd line spot. not physical but has size and can play D.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Part of the reason Hejda looks as good as he does is he mostly plays with EJ. With the way EJ has played over the past couple seasons, he can carry a pairing.

I disagree strongly with this. I think Hejda looks good because of the plays he makes. He doesn't look good because of the plays EJ makes. What impresses people when they watch Hejda is his battle in front of his net, his blocking shots, and his defensive presence. EJ isn't factoring into this.

On the flip side, when Stuart was playing with EJ, he looked much worse, and they had to go back to Hejda.

I think they absolutely need a better option than Hejda on the top pairing, but I think he's being highly underrated here. He has maybe 2-3 sub par games every 20 or so. He wears down a bit every now and then, but he would be a very solid 2nd or 3rd pairing D man. A great fit for a pairing with Barrie IMO.

Stuart vs Hejda is the perfect comparison for what to expect with some of these other aging defensive D men. Stuart's been solid in a lesser role IMO, but his level of play is about what I'd expect in a lot of these other defensive D men available as UFA's this summer, and just like with Stuart, I'd expect Hejda performs better than most of them.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Hejda shouldn't be anywhere near the top pair, he's not a #2 d-man which he has been for the Avs for the past few years, one of the reasons Avs defense has sucked. Hejda would be a 5 or 6 on a contender.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If the D can be addressed as such, then I will consider the offseason a success.

X1 - Johnson
X2 - Barrie
Stuart/Bigras/Holden - Redmond

X1 - I will be fine with filling this position with someone from a potential (hopeful) ROR trade. Or a FA signing of: Green, Martin, Ehrhoff, or Sekera (doubt he comes here)

X2 - can be filled from the a non ROR trade at the deadline or FA signing of: Regehr (feel like he would be a decent stop gap and partner for Barrie), Irwin, McQuaid, Michalek, I guess Oduya (don't like him), or Boychuk (think he resigns)

There are a decent amount of middle pairing options out there, but the top pairing ish guys are running out since they're being acquired while we stand put and try to not mess up chemistry and want to give them a shot since they owe it to them. That was actually said by Roy or Sakic not sure who.

You would prefer the bolded over Oduya? Regehr is on his last legs and can hardly move anymore. Irwin isn't very good, and McQuaid is worse. He's a 3rd pairing guy in Boston who takes stupid penalties all the time. Michalek is also on his last legs and he definitely can't play the left side given his lack of mobility. Out of the bunch Oduya is the best, but he'll also cost the most, save for Boychuk

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
You would prefer the bolded over Oduya? Regehr is on his last legs and can hardly move anymore. Irwin isn't very good, and McQuaid is worse. He's a 3rd pairing guy in Boston who takes stupid penalties all the time. Michalek is also on his last legs and he definitely can't play the left side given his lack of mobility. Out of the bunch Oduya is the best, but he'll also cost the most, save for Boychuk

I kind of would prefer most of them over Oduya. I see him plenty living in Illinois. I have been a huge fan of Hjalmarsson before he was drafted and he is honestly one of my favorite players. He is exactly the type of Dman they need for EJ, but is on the 2nd pair carrying Oduya. It's hard to pinpoint what type of Dman Oduya is since he doesn't really stand out in any areas. He is a good skater though, I'll give that to him. He also isn't exactly young and have much left; he maybe has 3 years max more than likely.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
Mine is pretty close.

Tanguay - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Atkinson
McGinn - Eller - Everberg
McLeod - Mitchell - Winchester
Bordeleau

Sekera - Erik Johnson
Beaulieu - Barrie
Holden - Stuart
Redmond, Elliott

Varlamov
Pickard

Although I have a bad feeling about McGinn.

I don't get people who got such an hard on Beaulieu. Redmond is much better than he is and plus, you are penciling him in the top-4!!! Don't give me the crap he's only 22. He's got all the tools to become a bottom pairing defender. Nothing else. It amazes me that sometimes because the guy is a 1st pick gets so much praise for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad