Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If we can get Etem for Hejda I'll be the happiest man alive.

I still think it's risky moving Hejda because of so much uncertainty over what D man they'll add in trade or UFA, and if BIgras/Siemens can step in next year.

But, if they do decide to go into sell mode, I wonder if packaging Briere with Hejda could boost the return from a 2nd to a late 1st. I could see the Ducks or maybe TB possibly being interested.

Given that Crouse seems like the prototypical Roy prospect, I could see them inerested in adding another 1st, with the hopes of using it to move up a couple spots and snag him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I still think it's risky moving Hejda because of so much uncertainty over what D man they'll add in trade or UFA, and if BIgras/Siemens can step in next year.

But, if they do decide to go into sell mode, I wonder if packaging Briere with Hejda could boost the return from a 2nd to a late 1st. I could see the Ducks or maybe TB possibly being interested.

I'll help you Foppa, you can stop wondering about that because there's no chance it happens. :)

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal

Given that Crouse seems like the prototypical Roy prospect, I could see them inerested in adding another 1st, with the hopes of using it to move up a couple spots and snag him.

I don't see Briere + Hejda returning a 1st at all. If anything, I think we'd be better off selling them seperately.

Plus I think our pick will be enough to pick Crouse I think (Not that I want us to use it on him personally). Adding a prospect of Etem, Rackell, Karlsson's caliber would be totally awesome for Hejda anyway, but don't see it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

IMO it is just as risky to move ahead with a 37 year old Hejda on next year's team. Last year we saw him wear down and we are seeing it again this year. He just can't handle that load any more. It would be a good thing for the Avs to force themselves to find a replacement, even if that means a trade or overpaying in UFA.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'll help you Foppa, you can stop wondering about that because there's no chance it happens. :)

I'm not saying it's likely, but that's a better return for a 1st than we've seen on some of the deadline deals in the last five years or so.

Say they're asking for a 1st like everyone will start off doing, and other teams start to agree on what could be an early second because they're a bubble team. Maybe a team caves because they were looking for a vet forward in another deal.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
It is quite interesting, Hejda could help out pretty much any playoff team
a 2nd seems very reasonable
add that to our own picks and you could move up or trade..

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Briere's value is somewhere between a 5th rounder and future considerations.

It is higher than that because of what he can do in the playoffs (in a 4th line role he chipped in 7 points in 16 games... teams will be craving that). 3rd and a longshot prospect is probably close to what he brings back.

Hejda is probably a 2nd + nothing or 3rd + a decent prospect sort of player.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Briere's value is somewhere between a 5th rounder and future considerations.

I'd say Hejda's value might be lower than some people think as well. He's a 36 year old rental who will probably be brought in to play on a team's bottom pairing. Possibly as a #4 guy on a playoff team that isn't a true contender. I think a 3rd and below average prospect or possibly a late 2nd is the best we're getting.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We have no choice, but to let him develop, he has little trade value, so we are commited to see how he ends up, physical, but hockey IQ is not up there. Could be a good bottom pairing guy.

What is it that tells you he doesn't have hockey IQ?

I also wouldn't say inability to stay healthy either. He's had what, one knee injury and now missed two games with apparently a wrist injury he suffered in a fight. I don't see those as chronic the dude can't stay healthy type of issues.

I don't get why there is so much rush to judge him. Ok, he's not Trouba but does that mean the other option is worthless?

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I'm not saying it's likely, but that's a better return for a 1st than we've seen on some of the deadline deals in the last five years or so.

Say they're asking for a 1st like everyone will start off doing, and other teams start to agree on what could be an early second because they're a bubble team. Maybe a team caves because they were looking for a vet forward in another deal.

Im thinking along these lines too, like you dont think he could return more than a 2nd but come playoff time GMs want to have as much depth as possible in case of injuries. If those top teams miss out on Sekera, Hejda's value increases quite a bit.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
IMO it is just as risky to move ahead with a 37 year old Hejda on next year's team. Last year we saw him wear down and we are seeing it again this year. He just can't handle that load any more. It would be a good thing for the Avs to force themselves to find a replacement, even if that means a trade or overpaying in UFA.

I don't think it's ideal to have him as their #2 again, but in looking at the UFA options after Sekera and Methot, I'm not sure I'd take any of them over Hejda. Especially at the price Hejda will ask for because he's made it pretty clear he wants to stay. Having him around also would allow Bigras to possibly work his way into playing with EJ, rather than hoping he can do so right off the bat. Giving Bigras a bigger role as the season goes along, and reducing Hejda's.

If they don't move O'Reilly for a top D man, and they miss out on Sekera/Methot, now they're all of a sudden desperate to fill Hejda's spot with someone. If that happens, I'd be pretty worried they make some kind of Orpik type overpayment for a guy like Jackman on a multi year deal.

If they keep Hejda, at least they have a little insurance because you know he wants to come back, and you know he'll be relatively cheap.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think it's ideal to have him as their #2 again, but in looking at the UFA options after Sekera and Methot, I'm not sure I'd take any of them over Hejda. Especially at the price Hejda will ask for because he's made it pretty clear he wants to stay. Having him around also would allow Bigras to possibly work his way into playing with EJ, rather than hoping he can do so right off the bat.

If they don't move O'Reilly for a top D man, and they miss out on Sekera/Methot, now they're all of a sudden desperate to fill Hejda's spot with someone. If that happens, I'd be pretty worried they make some kind of Orpik type overpayment for a guy like Jackman on a multi year deal.

If they keep Hejda, at least they have a little insurance because you know he wants to come back, and you know he'll be relatively cheap.

But it is also a crutch to not make a move. Keeping Hejda around keeps the fall back option there. Not having him will force the Avs' hand either in pulling the trigger on a trade or signing somebody like Sekera at the high end or like Oduya or Martin for more reasonable price.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't see Briere + Hejda returning a 1st at all. If anything, I think we'd be better off selling them seperately.

Plus I think our pick will be enough to pick Crouse I think (Not that I want us to use it on him personally). Adding a prospect of Etem, Rackell, Karlsson's caliber would be totally awesome for Hejda anyway, but don't see it.

I think Crouse will be one of those guys that varies a lot on different teams rankings. I think it could end being very possible he goes pretty soon after the big 3, maybe from 5-7, and I expect the Avs to be picking around 8-12.

If Pracey was still running things, I'd doubt they move up because he never seemed to like going that route, but I think there's an off chance Roy just says **** it and moves up a couple spots, to ensure they fill the need Roy's been trying to fill.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
But it is also a crutch to not make a move. Keeping Hejda around keeps the fall back option there. Not having him will force the Avs' hand either in pulling the trigger on a trade or signing somebody like Sekera at the high end or like Oduya or Martin for more reasonable price.

I can see that being the case in some situations, but personally I'm not too worried about that with the Avs this summer. Even with Hejda here the last couple years, it's pretty clear they've been desperately hunting for a D man. They got lucky Orpik turned down their offer, but without Hejda to fall back on, I think they'll shotgun blast a Pejorative Slured offer to a few different aging vets and end up with one of them.

It's probably a moot point though, because if I was a betting man, I'd say an O'Reilly for Myers deal goes down at or maybe before (due to EJ's injury) the draft. They'll still need a LD to replace Hejda, but they won't feel nearly as desperate to do so. They'll find someone cheap.

Last edited:

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I think Crouse will be one of those guys that varies a lot on different teams rankings. I think it could end being very possible he goes pretty soon after the big 3, maybe from 5-7, and I expect the Avs to be picking around 8-12.

If Pracey was still running things, I'd doubt they move up because he never seemed to like going that route, but I think there's an off chance Roy just says **** it and moves up a couple spots, to ensure they fill the need Roy's been trying to fill.

Can't say I'd be happy if we moved up as high as 5 and ended up picking Crouse. At that point I hope we'd draft a defenseman that could end up a top pairing guy long term.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I was wondering how long those would take to get up here. :laugh:

In part of his statement he is right, ROR isn't a 60 point center and he isn't a true #1. He is a very good #2C though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Ferraro's an idiot if he thinks ROR isn't a legit #2 center.

He just wants to slight him because he makes his son look bad being picked one spot before him and has yet to make the NHL at 23.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
What is it that tells you he doesn't have hockey IQ?

I also wouldn't say inability to stay healthy either. He's had what, one knee injury and now missed two games with apparently a wrist injury he suffered in a fight. I don't see those as chronic the dude can't stay healthy type of issues.

I don't get why there is so much rush to judge him. Ok, he's not Trouba but does that mean the other option is worthless?

I don't want to start a campaign against him and I'm really hoping he turns out to be a mean SOB bottom pairing PK guy. I didn't say no IQ, I said not up there, thus limiting him. It's my opinion and the one of a few out west that are closer to the scene.

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
Ray Ferraro?

What a joke.

He's just an ass when it comes to the Avs, he doesn't like them. ROR is an excellent 2C, how many #2C with 60 points, I didn't check, but there can't be that many. Meanwhile his son is rotting in Grand Rapid and was drafted before ROR

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
He's just an ass when it comes to the Avs, he doesn't like them. ROR is an excellent 2C, how many #2C with 60 points, I didn't check, but there can't be that many. Meanwhile his son is rotting in Grand Rapid and was drafted before ROR

i don't think he's just an ass when it comes to avs and i've listened to him quite a lot. he might have some bias for canadian teams but i've never got the feeling that he's biased against avs. spoke very highly of avs and our players just last summer and season.

i also don't buy that landon ferraro, his draft position and lack of success have anything to do with this. he just has some weird opinions like this. i think he would say the same about turris and few other ROR comrabales.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It seems like mentally some pundits haven't realized what lower scoring levels means.

O'Reilly, since being used on a scoring line from 2011 and forward, is 33rd in center PPG with a 57 point pace.

There are only 15 centers on a 70 point pace and six centers that are PPG (Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Tavares, Bäckström).

Add that O'Reilly is better defensively than most than a handful of the centers above him and it's bizarre to call him a third line center. If he's one Backes, Plekanec, Kesler also are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad