Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If Duchene's bridge is considered the highest at 3.5 (don't know if that's entirely true for forwards but they said it, not me) then going to 5 isn't going to happen. If he's not comfortable on a ~3.5 bridge then look at one of the longer ones. What these agents are trying to sell is to get paid for tomorrow today. I get that giving up UFA years costs some but to get paid now for what you hypothetically might get 3 years from now is BS. That's the opportunity cost of getting GUARANTEED MONEY NOW. you get a concussion tomorrow you still get your $50 million. It's not that hard to comprehend but these agents are glossing over that. So on the 8 year deal RyJo is giving up UFA years but essentially getting paid double now what he would be on a bridge deal. You can invest that money and come out ahead.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't understand why Avs trade for Stuart on July 1st and overpay for him. They miss out on taking advantage of teams having to move players during the summer.

Avs aren't going to trade for Methot. Stuart was it.

True. They missed out on the big fish in free agency, quickly made the dumb trade, and now here we are.

Maybe Methot could be an option at the deadline.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Banner day for the Ottawa Sun. First, Sens AGM completely goes off on the Sun's report that they were close to a deal with Methot with $'s and everything. Then, the Suns says that Ryan was offered a 7 year deal from Ottawa and turned it down, and now McKenzie says not only was it not turned down, it was never offered.

Garrioch and Brennan doing work.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Aren't the Sens the one team Garrioch actually has some sources with? He's even screwing that up now?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Assumingly, given the 2 years that have passed since signing, ROR's bridge deal would be a good standard for Johansen. 5mil AAV. It's also right in the middle of the 3.5mil and 6.5mil divide the two sides have.

In this situation I would blame both parties personally. With the Avs-ROR one, it's definitely more of the Avs fault for not coming up a little more and securing that long term deal ROR was considering (how amazing would it be to have him at 4.25mil for another 3 years?!).

Definitely sounds like Columbus will be moving Johansen in the future to avoid his agent if they can't lock him up for 6-8 years. Rychel might even have to go too at this rate.

Johansen is only asking for 6.5? Man, with the way CBJ talked in that last article I was thinking he was asking for like 15mil?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Maybe it's just me but I think around $5M/yr on a bridge deal is fair for Johansen.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
5M on a bridge would be way too high. If you're going to pay him 5M on a bridge, might as well just go long term.

Between 3.5M and 4M makes way more sense on a bridge.

I dont think it is, but I can see why JK doesnt want to do that for a reason besides money. Its going to set a precedent for young players that have a good year. They will now be using RyJo's bridge as the new standard.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well bridge deals should go up. We've seen FA deals go up with the cap so why should young players be singled out even more than they already are? They deserve their salaries to go up with the inflation we've seen reflected in other deals. Which is why 8 or 9 mil over two years should be perfectly fair, but colombus want the kid to take a lot less than that, because his expectations are also absurd and they don't want to behave like the grownups here.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
5M on a bridge would be way too high. If you're going to pay him 5M on a bridge, might as well just go long term.

Between 3.5M and 4M makes way more sense on a bridge.

Exactly, 5m on a bridge is too much. They offered him 5.75 long term, it's not like they won't pay him anything.

6.5 is what they were asking on a bridge deal, who knows what they were asking long term. They want him paid like a top center right now at his age. Like I said before. If he *could* get 7-8 million in a few years doesn't mean he's entitled to it now. Take the bridge then. If not take the $50m guaranteed. Do I think Columbus could go up a bit on their offers, yes. But they are not out of line, their offers are in the ballpark. And the players only recourse is to sit out and get paid nothing and run yourself put of town. Sounds like a great plan.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Their bridge offer has been more than 25% less than what ryjo should get, so I don't see how that's in the ball park.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Johansen scored 33 goals last season and the cap is just continuing to go up, he's worth much more than $3.5M/yr. Maybe you accept a one year deal for $3.5-4M to prove last season wasn't a fluke but he shouldn't accept two years for that much.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Columbus are $500k-750k/year too low on all three offers, but that's normal. Johansen asking for $6M on a two year deal and significantly more on a long term deal is lunacy. The only bright spot here is that O'Reilly now has been unseated as king of headaches.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What other forward has received a bridge deal for more?

Well our own Matty got 3.5per on his bridge deal despite coming off a hard injury plagued seasoned after two strong seasons. Ryjo is looking for his deal coming off a line strong season, but one which saw him top 30 goals with a higher cap and UFA contracts having already started adjusting accordingly. Plus he was a key piece to a Columbus team who went to the playoffs and seem to be building something real for the first time in their history, and so he's already one of the most important young players they've ever had.

So 4-4.5 per over two years should be reasonable for both sides, yet neither the player nor management seem to have any intention of going even close to there and are acting like children who had to go to sleep and so couldn't keep playing with their toys instead.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Johansen scored 33 goals last season and the cap is just continuing to go up, he's worth much more than $3.5M/yr. Maybe you accept a one year deal for $3.5-4M to prove last season wasn't a fluke but he shouldn't accept two years for that much.

I agree. I'd give him a 1 year for 5-6 and tell him to prove it again. Then talk long term. That guy was great last year. I wouldn't be scared to give him some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad