In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
"Stastny finally retook his prominent role in the lineup this year"

Stastny certainly hasn't become what we were all expecting. He was initially a PPG player and was signed to a Kopitar-like deal to produce Kopitar-like numbers. He is not Kopitar....nowhere near it, defensively and especially offensively. He simply has not been what he was when he got to play in the same lineup as Sakic.

It's reasonable for people to brace for Stastny leaving. He likely is. But I think the fact is that it's not the end of the world, especially if we re-sign everyone else and add a forward or two.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Stastny certainly hasn't become what we were all expecting. He was initially a PPG player and was signed to a Kopitar-like deal to produce Kopitar-like numbers. He is not Kopitar....nowhere near it, defensively and especially offensively. He simply has not been what he was when he got to play in the same lineup as Sakic.

He played at a 69 point pace all season. That's including a 9 game pointless streak.

Before the pointless streak (including the 9 games):
17 points 32 games

After the Pointless streak:
43 points in 39 games

Then he added 10 points in 7 playoff games, for a combined total of 70 points in 78 games in playoffs and regular season combined.

That's pretty damn close to being a PPG player. All while playing against the toughest competition. There is no way around it. With the way Stastny played last season, he is a major loss to the team if he walks.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
So I got a chance to listen to Dater's latest podcast and it sounds like even Boulding would be shocked if PA is back next year, it sounds like his voice when someone says "Mark my words" in response to Parenteau being traded

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
And I don't care what the Kesler haters here say, I would easily welcome him if Avs are available to acquire him now with Stostny being a potential UFA.

So would I.

Depending on the cost, of course. ;)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm not a big fan of Kesler but he would help the team so I think he could be a good addition. I just don't think we have the pieces to acquire him. The Parenteau, Elliott, Hishon, Pickard, etc proposals remind me of Bozak/Gunnarsson for Stastny. I think Kesler will bring back at least two very good (and young) pieces even with his age, injuries, and trade request.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm not a big fan of Kesler but he would help the team so I think he could be a good addition. I just don't think we have the pieces to acquire him. The Parenteau, Elliott, Hishon, Pickard, etc proposals remind me of Bozak/Gunnarsson for Stastny. I think Kesler will bring back at least two very good (and young) pieces even with his age, injuries, and trade request.

If we add a 1st to those proposals it sounds better.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If we add a 1st to those proposals it sounds better.

What's our offer similar to the rumoured Pens offer that was apparently made and rejected around the deadline? I think a Pens reporter said it was something like Sutter, Pouliot/Despres, and a 1st round pick. So McGinn, Siemens, and a 1st round pick?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
What's our offer similar to the rumoured Pens offer that was apparently made and rejected around the deadline? I think a Pens reporter said it was something like Sutter, Pouliot/Despres, and a 1st round pick. So McGinn, Siemens, and a 1st round pick?

I'd replace McGinn with PaP. PaP, Elliott/Siemens, 2014 1st. Preferably Siemens. If that's not enough maybe add a 2nd?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I still don't think he'll leave and I don't know why everyone is all of a sudden on that boat. Because of his agent's comments to Dater? Saying "nothing's imminent" doesn't really mean too much, without context.

He's a born and raised Av...it's not a black and white decision for him. If the Avs can stay within a million dollars/year of what he's expecting on the open market than he's going to have to consider them long and hard.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd replace McGinn with PaP. PaP, Elliott/Siemens, 2014 1st. Preferably Siemens. If that's not enough maybe add a 2nd?

Why would the Canucks want Parenteau? I guess they might if they're not rebuilding and they want to return to being a more finesse offensive team but they could probably do better.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

From what I heard from Duncan himself, I know the Canucks did like him in his draft year. I remember one night specifically where their head western scout spoke to him after the game here downstairs.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Why would the Canucks want Parenteau? I guess they might if they're not rebuilding and they want to return to being a more finesse offensive team but they could probably do better.

Their new GM specifically said somewhere that they want to get back to being a highly skilled and offensive team. Parenteau would be a good fit there, specifically with the Sedins.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
"Stastny finally retook his prominent role in the lineup this year"

It's reasonable for people to brace for Stastny leaving. He likely is. But I think the fact is that it's not the end of the world, especially if we re-sign everyone else and add a forward or two.

Kopitar

2006-2007 72 20 41 61 PPG 0.85
2007-2008 82 32 45 77 PPG 0.94
2008-2009 82 27 39 66 PPG 0.8
2009-2010 82 34 47 81 PPG 0.99
2010-2011 75 25 48 73 PPG 0.97
2011-2012 82 25 51 76 PPG 0.93
2012-2013 47 10 32 42 PPG 0.89
2013-2014 82 29 41 70 PPG 0.85

Stastny

2006-2007 82 28 50 78 PPG 0.95
2007-2008 66 24 47 71 PPG 1.08
2008-2009 45 11 25 36 PPG 0.8
2009-2010 81 20 59 79 PPG 0.98
2010-2011 74 22 35 57 PPG 0.77
2011-2012 79 21 32 53 PPG 0.67
2012-2013 40 9 15 24 PPG 0.6
2013-2014 71 25 35 60 PPG 0.84

He matched Kopi's pace this last season.

Stastny's play fell off during the dark years, yes, nobody will argue that with you. But under Roy he has started to look like his old self. So what if he didn't turn out to be our version of Kopitar, we no longer need him to be. We have other guys to produce offensively and other guys to help shutdown opposing top lines. I see Stastny as the glue guy in the top-6. He could leave via FA and we would be set back but I think the team would get by, I'm not saying it would be the end of the world. But it would be a shame, as I totally agree with Ivan in that this past season was his best in a long time, if not ever in an Avs uni.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Their new GM specifically said somewhere that they want to get back to being a highly skilled and offensive team. Parenteau would be a good fit there, specifically with the Sedins.

Yeah, I can see him being a good fit with the Sedins.

Are the Canucks following the Flames' rebuilding/retooling plan here? It's possible this past season was just an aberration but I would be worried if I were a fan of that team.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yeah, I can see him being a good fit with the Sedins.

Are the Canucks following the Flames' rebuilding/retooling plan here? It's possible this past season was just an aberration but I would be worried if I were a fan of that team.

they want to be playoff team next year. they also want to infuse some more youth. they aren't trading edler, kesler and co unless they ask. that's what benning has indicated.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I'm still on the fence whether Stastny played well because....

1) Roy coaching
2) A deeper lineup and talent surrounding him
3) Contract year

In two of the three scenarios (#2/#3), I wouldn't be paying him big bucks. I take issue with paying anyone 6+ million who does not produce on a consistent basis year-in and year-out, whether it's Paul Stastny or any other incoming UFA.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
You can vomit stats at me all you want, it's not going to convince me that you have a clue what you're talking about.

Does it not make sense that, out of the team's 5 best players, that when one goes down the others start producing more? We never really saw a dropoff in production for this team, they just filled in for each other as needed.

If you've been watching this team, as closely as you claim to have, for the last 4-5 years, you know that Stastny finally retook his prominent role in the lineup this year. He took on the hardest matchups and allowed the rest of our scoring lines to be more free offensively. Stastny under Roy has gotten back to what everyone has been expecting out of him for the last 5 years. He has comparable defence to Landy and O'R with similar, if not better, offensive production. He is the best playmaker on the team and he is arguably the smartest as well.

At this point I honestly don't know why you're arguing that he isn't as valuable to this team as he has proven this year. Are you bracing for him to leave via FA?

Your opinions are your opinions, and your stats are cherry-picked and lack proper thought or context. We all watch the team a great deal and at this point I really don't think you're convincing anyone.

I think you need to convince me you have a clue what i am talking about."We never saw a drop off in production for this team". Exactly my point. In this argument I have seen a lot of comments about how important he was offensively and defensively and that our production, especially our defense, would tank. I was just showing that did not happen. Seems you are reading way too much into it.

He did not always take on the hardest matchups. Hockey is a game where many different players go up against many different players throughout a game and half the games our coach cant even decide which line to play his against. A lot of times, yes, he was matched up against the top line. A lot times it was Duchene's line. Sometimes even when his line was against the top line he would be matchup up against a dman because thats how the match ups fell based on switching and who is the first on the attack etc etc etc. This system is very much a team effort on D and the forwards have to be versatile enough to play any 3 of the positions because they are going to have to throughout a game. Just because Staz is the C on the top2 way line does not mean he is automatically the guy with the hardest match up on the ice.

Just because he retook his prominent role (all these guys play prominent roles), is now thought of as the player everyone expected 5 years ago and is no longer thought off as underachiever does not make him better than those other players. That says nothing about the other players in discussion. That just means he is no longer underachieving.

"comparable to LAndo and RoR defensively". I never claimed otherwise. I just think both RoR is slightly better defensively. He wasnt responsible for nearly as many goals IMO. And I have said a couple times that Lando's D gets a downgrade because of the many penalties he has taken. I just dont think Staz is this amazing shutdown D guy some are making him out to be. But hey, I think different than you do, so I must not know what i am talking about. :shakehead

He is not the best playmaker and I am certainly not the only one who thinks that. But once again, I (we) have no idea what i (we) am talking about:shakehead

Similar offensive production yes, but he was not the key to that line's production. He would be involved in the play and gets credit for that, but usually wasn't the main reason for a goal. If its a 3 on 3 rush at the red line and Staz passes to MacK who just blows by everyone and scores or someone scores off a rebound then Staz was not the key to that play. It would have been MacK beating his man and getting players out of position and scrambling. To me that's how Staz got a lot of his production, just by being a part of the play. Just to clarify, he was the key on plenty of plays as well. I am not saying he did not have his fair share of goal causing plays.

Arguably the smartest, yes. Never said otherwise. I would give that edge to RoR though. I have said many times that staz is very smart and that is his best quality. But I think RoR is smarter because he seemed to be more consistent than Staz in the defensive position category. Both have great IQs on the O side as well. Both are very good at just keeping the puck moving and in a good flow of the offense.

I am not arguing that he is not as valuable as he has proven. With those stats I am arguing that he is not as valuable as some are claiming.

The stats are cherry picked because those are the stats that apply towards comments like 'our defense would fall apart without him'. So i showed what we did without him. Exactly what stats should i use, or do you just want to play this "you dont know what you are talking about, my opinions are so much better" game? Because, you know, that is so convincing.

Im not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just sharing my opinion. I could really care less what anyone thinks. Feel free to have whatever opinion you so chose. But you really need to figure out what I am saying before starting all this "you don't know what you are tlaking about" stuff. Because you clearly don't know what I am talking about. Your taking my comments and inferring something that I am not implying.

Just to clarify. Staz is a great player, which i have said many times. And like someone said earlier, its like splitting hairs saying who is the best. They are all right around the same level and all very important pieces to the team. But I think RoR, Duchene, Lando and MacK were slightly better and everyone should be paid accordingly. This talk of him getting 6.5/7Mil is absurd, especially if he is taking a discount. That and I dont think Staz is as good as some here are making him out to be. But hey, thats different from your opinion, so I must not know what i am talking about:shakehead

We have other guys to produce offensively and other guys to help shutdown opposing top lines. I see Stastny as the glue guy in the top-6.

This is pretty much exactly what i have been getting at, or how I have been trying to portray him as.

Their offense and power play were pretty bad this year. That could just have been torts though.

What would we have received for him at the trade deadline? A second round pick? I'd hardly call that an incredible setback.

I listened to the podcast. Dater doesn't know. His opinion is they don't need him. He said "they won nothing for 6 years with him, time to try something new". He thinks the Avs still haven't decided if they really want him back and they all think his worth is about 5 million.

Imminent means nothing is close. That's not exactly bad. Not having spoken with the Avs would be bad. And Dater said he spoke to the agent yesterday so sounds like he still has an agent.

What is Vancouver going to want for Kesler? Do we even have it to give?

They all think his worth is about 5 million? Who is they? Dater and Co, or Roy and Co.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
That is interesting RS, wonder if we could somehow acquire Kezler without giving up Stostny.

I doubt our payroll would allow that long term as the defense needs improvement. Unless of course other more or less important players were shipped out and I'm afraid Parenteau isn't enough.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
guess we could but then we don't have assets to get a defenseman.

I doubt our payroll would allow that long term as the defense needs improvement. Unless of course other more or less important players were shipped out and I'm afraid Parenteau isn't enough.

Parenteau+Siemens would be a pretty damn good deal. Especially considering how much Canucks value Duncan as well. Yes our defensive core would suck, but Avs would definitely have the best offensive core in the league period with getting Kezler and keeping Stostny. Also we would have the best defensive offensive core as well.

ROR - Duchene - Kezler
Tanguay - Stostny - Landeskog
Mitchell - MacKinnon - McGinn
McLeod - Cliche - Talbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad