In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
"Jonhson will have to play left if he wants top minutes....with Niskanen
Hedja and Wilson will be traded (draft picks?)…... Greene is an improvement....Strallman is an option...
Callahan brings lot of energy and leadership....might start on third line to give more time to Parenteau on top two lines to gain value and be traded....Hishon will be given the opportunity to impress.....Aittokalio will replace Berra during the year….."

I guarantee every single one of those things won't happen.

Obviously, there are no guarantees. But a couple of those things could happen.

If one of the skill players gets hurt for a period of time, Hishon could get a meaningful fill-in chance. And honestly, I'd welcome it, rather than seeing a parade of 4th line scrubs get called up.

And Wilson could be traded, though the return would be paltry. Wonder what they're going to do with that guy.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Is offer-sheeting Subban an option?

I think they would instamatch anything up to $8.5M/year. They'd probably reluctantly match anything up to $9.5M/year and consider taking the picks at $10M/year.

I don't see it as a realistic option, unless you just wanted to **** up Habs salary structure and help Subban get a big contract.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think they would instamatch anything up to $8.5M/year. They'd probably reluctantly match anything up to $9.5M/year and consider taking the picks at $10M/year.

I don't see it as a realistic option, unless you just wanted to **** up Habs salary structure and help Subban get a big contract.

If the Avs really want Markov (or even Vanek), throwing a big offer sheet Subban's way may be the best way to do it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well obviously I'm not psychic. Don't disagree Hishon would be a nice callup. Don't think that's what was said though. Nobody is going to trade for Wilson.

Considering there have been how many successful offer sheets in NHL history I don't think it's even worth it to consider. Also, isn't Subban in O'Reilly's position where he's due a QO? Once the team offers that QO they can't be offer sheeted anyway.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You might be thinking of arbitration. Of course players can sign an offer sheet after getting a QO. If players couldn't be given an offer sheet after receiving a QO, then no player would ever be able to sign an offer sheet.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Is offer-sheeting Subban an option?

After seemingly not going after McDonagh last season (as far as we know) I don't see much hope in an offer sheet being sent out by the Avs. I think Kulikov, Larsson, Gardiner, 1 of Krug or Bartkowski, Despres or Tanev are more likely targets though as Subban will cost the 4 1sts to steal away.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
You might be thinking of arbitration. Of course players can sign an offer sheet after getting a QO. If players couldn't be given an offer sheet after receiving a QO, then no player would ever be able to sign an offer sheet.

That's not true. You only get a QO after your first contract after an ELC. Those coming off of ELCs don't have QOs because they all have that standard contract. If the team offers a QO then another team can't step in because the team had essentially offered a contract. O'Reilly didn't have a QO last time because it was after his ELC. Same with Subban. The Habs will absolutely offer him the QO because it's so cheap.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Well obviously I'm not psychic. Don't disagree Hishon would be a nice callup. Don't think that's what was said though. Nobody is going to trade for Wilson.

Considering there have been how many successful offer sheets in NHL history I don't think it's even worth it to consider. Also, isn't Subban in O'Reilly's position where he's due a QO? Once the team offers that QO they can't be offer sheeted anyway.

That's not right. All the QO does is keep the player restricted and under team control. They can still be offer sheeted just look at Weber.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Alright, maybe I misunderstood but it says in the CBA that if a player recieves a QO that they have exclusive right to negotiate with the player. Either way, it's extremely unlikely that an offer sheet would be a successful way to get the player we need.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Do you have a link to where it says that? Teams retain rights to the player once they give a QO but another team can come in with an offer sheet. It has always been like that. Both O'Reilly and Subban can sign offer sheets if they want.

I think you're also wrong about players coming off ELCs not requiring a QO. How else do you keep them around? Barrie, Elliott, and Hishon will need to be qualified this summer. Don't you remember the Dale Tallon screw up that almost led to Versteeg and Barker becoming UFAs after their ELCs expired?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Alright, maybe I misunderstood but it says in the CBA that if a player recieves a QO that they have exclusive right to negotiate with the player. Either way, it's extremely unlikely that an offer sheet would be a successful way to get the player we need.

A player has to have his rights qualified to receive an offer sheet. Otherwise they'll be a pending UFA not an RFA. It doesn't keep them from talking to other teams though. It's more about the dates that allow teams to act.

Here's the critical dates calendar in the new CBA. Basically, July 25th is the last day for teams to extend QO's, but players can't accept them until July 1st.

June 26 RFA's can speak with other teams but not sign offer sheets, or new contracts with their current team until July 1st.

July 5th is the last day to sign offer sheets if a team has elected arbitration with the player. If they haven't teams can extend offer sheets as long as the player is unsigned, but with other consequences later on as we saw with O'Reilly.

EXHIBIT 15
CRITICAL DATE CALENDAR

June 1

Bona Fide Offer to Prior Year's Draft Picks (5:00 p.m.
New York time)
Deadline for signing Unsigned Draft Choices (5:00
p.m. New York time)

Later of June 15 or 48 hours after conclusion of Stanley Cup Finals

First Buy-Out Period Begins
Deadline for First Club-Elected Salary Arbitration
Notification (5:00 p.m. New York time)

Day after the Entry Draft (but not later than June 25) until June 30

Unrestricted Free Agents may meet and interview with
potential new Clubs, but may not sign new SPCs until
the opening of RFA/UFA Signing Period

Later of June 25 or Monday after Entry Draft

Deadline for Qualifying Offers, which are not open for
acceptance prior to July 1 (5:00 p.m. New York time)

Later of June 26 or Tuesday after Entry Draft

Restricted Free Agents may make contact with Clubs
(including their own) regarding potential interest, but
may not sign new SPCs or Offer Sheets until the
opening of RFA/UFA Signing Period

June 30

Setting of Upper/Lower Limits
First Buy-Out Period Ends (5:00 p.m. New York time)

July 1

Qualifying Offers Open for Acceptance (12:00 p.m.
New York time)
RFA/UFA Signing Period Begins (12:00 p.m. New
York time)

July 5

Deadline for Player-Elected Salary Arbitration
Deadline for RFA Offer Sheets for Players for whom
Clubs have elected salary arbitration pursuant to First
Club-Elected Salary Arbitration (5:00 p.m. New York
time)
Commencement of Second Club-Elected Salary
Arbitration Notification (5:01 p.m. New York time)

July 6

Deadline for Second Club-Elected Salary Arbitration

July 15

Qualifying Offers Expire Automatically
(5:00 p.m. New York time)

July 20

First Day of Salary Arbitration Hearings

August 4

Last Day of Salary Arbitration Hearings

August 6

Last Day for Issuance of Salary Arbitration Awards

48 hours after Club's last salary arbitration award or settlement

Deadline to exercise walk-away right

48 hours beginning on the third day after Club's last salary arbitration award or settlement

Deadline for such Club's Second Buy-Out Period [Only
for Clubs with Salary Arbitration Cases]

December 1

Signing Deadline for Group 2 Free Agents

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Well obviously I'm not psychic.

Thus, nothing is guaranteed. ;)

Don't disagree Hishon would be a nice callup. Don't think that's what was said though.

He said "Hishon will be given the opportunity to impress". That could be interpreted as "Hishon will be given a Top 6 forward spot out of training camp". Or it could be interpreted in another way.

Nobody is going to trade for Wilson.

More guarantees?

Wilson is an interesting case. He looked pretty promising during the 2012 offseason, but has cratered since. Is that more due to injury, or something else? Don't know. Can he be resurrected?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
A player has to have his rights qualified to receive an offer sheet. Otherwise they'll be a pending UFA not an RFA. It doesn't keep them from talking to other teams though. It's more about the dates that allow teams to act.

Here's the critical dates calendar in the new CBA. Basically, July 25th is the last day for teams to extend QO's, but players can't accept them until July 1st.

June 26 RFA's can speak with other teams but not sign offer sheets, or new contracts with their current team until July 1st.

July 5th is the last day to sign offer sheets if a team has elected arbitration with the player. If they haven't teams can extend offer sheets as long as the player is unsigned, but with other consequences later on as we saw with O'Reilly.

We need an off-season thread with your post in the OP. So we can track/Highlight the upcoming dates, and talk about what to expect.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nick Kypreos @RealKyper
Ontario captains on the way out soon? Independent sources say both #Sens and #Leafs shopping Spezza/ Phaneuf to west conf #NHL teams

Trading your captain a few months after giving him a $50M extension. :laugh:

Burnaby_Joe*

Nick Kypreos @RealKyper
Ontario captains on the way out soon? Independent sources say both #Sens and #Leafs shopping Spezza/ Phaneuf to west conf #NHL teams

Trading your captain a few months after giving him a $50M extension. :laugh:

Think we're interested in Phaneuf? He'd definitely help, but I don't like his contract. Wilson, Elliott, picks or even Parenteau would have to be sent to Tor.

Phaneuf Johnson
Hejda Barrie
Holden Guenin

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Think we're interested in Phaneuf? He'd definitely help, but I don't like his contract. Wilson, Elliott, picks or even Parenteau would have to be sent to Tor.

Phaneuf Johnson
Hejda Barrie
Holden Guenin

We'd easily be outbid by other teams if that's all we offered Toronto.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

Phaneuf Johnson
Hejda Barrie
Holden Guenin

Interested, probably. He would do well in a place where he doesn't have to be the captain and everything. Willing to pay the price, probably not.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
DP with EJ would be an interesting pairing but I doubt the price would be anything we would want to give up and on top of that his contract is awful. If TOR isnt retaining salary Im not interested.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Phaneuf is a pretty good player, especially if you don't ask him to do too much. Pretty ugly contract though.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
A combination of there not being Toronto-level pressure on him and Roy's ability to put players in a position to succeed could see Phaneuf do well here, but I can't help but think they'd be reluctant to offer a trade package that could get him, as well as reluctant to trade for someone who would instantly become the best paid player on the team if they aren't an out and out star.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wouldn't take Phaneuf for free at his current price but I wouldn't mind him if the Leafs retained salary. $7M/yr for the next 7 years is an awful contract.

He's a good player though. Instantly makes our defense much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad