Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Wow, really? Why there's no market for player like Vanek? :amazed:

It was proven wrong. Supposedly there were bigger offers on the table for him from Toronto and Minnesota but both teams needed NYI to retain salary and Snow refused.

Also a little surprising that Kesler didn't move to Anaheim with the reported offer Vancouver had on the table being so prospect-heavy. One more piece probably was the kicker between both clubs.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Listening to Dater's Podcast now...the guy from Newfoundland just said "Mark it down, I think he (Stastny) signs for 4.5-5M a year..."

I just :facepalm:'d at that. 4.5-5M is Top-End money in the first couple of years AFTER the first lockout (back when we had our team gutted). In TODAY'S Cap World (65+ million), 4.5-5M just isn't perceived as the same. And I see that around here a lot on this board as well.

4.5-5M just isn't the same at all as it was back then. To me, 5M is no where near the amount that a pending-UFA of Stastny's skill set. To put it this way, if Stephen Weiss got 4.9M a year, then Stastny's DEFINITELY getting more.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Listening to Dater's Podcast now...the guy from Newfoundland just said "Mark it down, I think he (Stastny) signs for 4.5-5M a year..."

I just :facepalm:'d at that. 4.5-5M is Top-End money in the first couple of years AFTER the first lockout (back when we had our team gutted). In TODAY'S Cap World (65+ million), 4.5-5M just isn't perceived as the same. And I see that around here a lot on this board as well.

4.5-5M just isn't the same at all as it was back then. To me, 5M is no where near the amount that a pending-UFA of Stastny's skill set. To put it this way, if Stephen Weiss got 4.9M a year, then Stastny's DEFINITELY getting more.

I promise it wasn't me. :laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Are you sure that wasn't Boulding? I'd hope it was the fan. Stastny is getting at least 5 and probably closer to 6 if not 6. Who else was it that suggested a bridge deal? I think it was Dater but I'm not sure. So much :facepalm:

This is what happens when the media blathers on for 3 years that Stastny is an overpaid 3rd liner.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I promise it wasn't me. :laugh:

:laugh:

I don't think that he doesn't know his hockey, but I do think he sounded like his Dollar Amounts were stuck in the past.

It was interesting to hear that they were very in on Scrivens until Edmonton came in with a better package.

I'll reserve judgment on Berra until he gets some practices and plays a game with the Avalanche. I still think the price paid to get him was a little too high, but it is what it is, it's in the past now.

I do tend to agree with Dater on one thing in regards to Stastny...if he walks then there should be some rightly angry Avs fans (unless he decides he wans 7+ million a year)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Are you sure that wasn't Boulding? I'd hope it was the fan. Stastny is getting at least 5 and probably closer to 6 if not 6. Who else was it that suggested a bridge deal? I think it was Dater but I'm not sure. So much :facepalm:

This is what happens when the media blathers on for 3 years that Stastny is an overpaid 3rd liner.

No, I don't think anyone suggested a bridge deal, I heard it as "I wonder if Stastny WOULD HAVE accepted a 'Bridge Deal'..." more just asking "What if" scenarios of the past and as someone had said (of which I think it was Dater), "We'll never know".

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
:laugh:

I don't think that he doesn't know his hockey, but I do think he sounded like his Dollar Amounts were stuck in the past.

It was interesting to hear that they were very in on Scrivens until Edmonton came in with a better package.

I'll reserve judgment on Berra until he gets some practices and plays a game with the Avalanche. I still think the price paid to get him was a little too high, but it is what it is, it's in the past now.

I do tend to agree with Dater on one thing in regards to Stastny...if he walks then there should be some rightly angry Avs fans (unless he decides he wans 7+ million a year)

Whether he wants 4 million a year or 10 million a year there will by some rightly angry Avs fans. This should have been sorted out before.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don't understand why in the event that Stastny walks Dater was talking about using that money for another top-end center.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

IMO the benchmark for Stastny's next contract, is Bergeron's current contract. They're really quite similar players in many ways: position, age, size, two-way play, scoring production, etc. (I think Bergeron is a better faceoff guy, and a somewhat better skater). And that contract is $6.5M.

And a quick note on the "home town discount" nonsense. I believe a number of fans believe that this (if it actually exists) is going to be some big number, like over $1M per year. It won't be anywhere near that. If Stastny gives the Avs a 5% discount (which I suspect would be the most), that'll amount to around $250K-300K per year. That's it. So instead of $6.5M, maybe he'll sign for $6.25M. Something like that is more realistic, IMO. $4.5M is a pipe dream.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Bergeron is a much better player than Stastny. It isn't even close IMO. But I could definitely see Stastny asking for 6.5M/yr and if that's the case, let him walk. At that point you can't worry about him losing him for nothing, you put yourself in that position. Don't make it worse by giving him a massive contract for 6-8 years.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They are going to talk to him before he hits the market, the podcast fails to acknowledge this. If he hits the market on July 1 then yeah he'll be wooed by some team throwing money at him and at that point he'll price himself out of the Avs plans. A discount means playing a little less at perceived market, not playing for cheap. I agree, 4.5 is asinine, that's not even an option. But again, the media has told everyone for years how grossly overpaid Stastny is that people think this is his true value. I've seen people argue he's worth 3 million.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The Avs have the advantage of the pre-July 1st week now. If Stastny gets a ridiculous offer from a team, he has time to come back to the Avs and say here is what I'm getting offered. Then the Avs will either let him walk, or move into the ballpark of what he wants. It reduces the risk that he just up and signs on July 1st without the Avs having a chance to match.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
dunno where to put this.

09:43 AM ET 03.08 | It has been 10 years since Steve Moore's NHL career ended with an attack by former Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi. The 35-year-old Moore says he still suffers from headaches and low energy, even if he feels better overall and wants to get on with his life. But there has been no closure for the former Colorado Avalanche centre, whose $38-million dollar lawsuit against Bertuzzi and the Canucks is still in the courts after numerous delays. A trial date has been set for Sept. 8. Moore, a rookie on a powerhouse Avalanche team, still remembers that game on March 8, 2004, and the devastating effect it had on his career. "I think about it at times like this," Moore said Friday in a phone interview with The Canadian Press. "When the anniversary comes around, it's hard not to reflect on the impact this has had on my life, which is dramatic.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_...-still-wants-closure-for-todd-bertuzzi-attack

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'd be interested in reading why you feel that way.

I think his defense is on another level. Stastny is good/very good at times where as Bergeron is elite defensively. He's better on faceoffs and on the PK as well. Stastny hasn't had many opportunities so it's hard to hold it against him but Bergeron is also a proven playoff performer. He always comes up big for his team.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
The Avs have the advantage of the pre-July 1st week now. If Stastny gets a ridiculous offer from a team, he has time to come back to the Avs and say here is what I'm getting offered. Then the Avs will either let him walk, or move into the ballpark of what he wants. It reduces the risk that he just up and signs on July 1st without the Avs having a chance to match.

I think he is gone the moment he hits FA. I don't see why Stastny would have such a special relationship with the Avs that no other of the FA's have when they get there.

This is starting to remind me of the Parise situation where the fans tell themselves he wouldn't leave Devils, it's ok, we can talk contract after the season, sure.. Oh he hit FA? Don't worry, we're still in the mix, he just wanna see what else is out there and come back with same demands to the Devils. Etc.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Because there are two months between the end if the season and July 1. I get the business aspect of it. After July 1 he's gone. But it's not that difficult to envision if he wants to stay, the Avs want him to stay AND he gets a decent offer then it will work out. If what he wants is to be a free agent then he will become one. He said Colorado is his first choice. I don't think he lied through his teeth the entire week. But no, he's not taking pennies to stay out of the goodness of his heart either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad