Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
It's almost too much. You can't have a handful of rookies several years in a row.

I guess that's why they wanted a 2015 first rounder from Blues so they spread out the picks a bit.

They can always turn those picks/prospects into established players later. They are currency.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Isn't Staz good friends with Miller too? Someone posted a picture of the two of them partying together a while back.

I thought that was Liles?

Anyway pretty good value Buffalo and STL just turned a weakness into a strength. Good deal for both teams. If I were Buff I'd ship Stewie fast tho.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Buffalo will be good in 5 years. Or maybe they'll be the Edmonton Oilers in 5 years. These things are hard to predict.

Difference is Buffalo is actually building a team and not seating on their ***** drafting 1st overall picks thinking this is the way to build a winner.

If McKenzie is right about the Sabres possibly trading Halak to the Wild, that's another team in our division that gets better.

Depending on who they get him for...Not really high on Halak TBH.

Averick*

I just listened to Dreger's segment on TSN radio from yesterday, the hosts asked him about some rumour out there about the Avs being interested in Markov. Dreger said he's hearing the Avs are very eager to land a #1 or at the very least a #2 defenseman and Markov would probably be a #2 on the Avs so he thinks they would probably inquire about him. He also said Sakic and Roy are "scouring the market" right now and they might be paying close attention to what's going on in Buffalo and their defensemen. Lastly, he said Roy has learned to be very patient and there is a calmness around the Avs organization now. If there's a right fit, no doubt the Avs will make a play but they also might be willing to wait until the summer and see what happens at the draft when teams have a lot more flexibility.

So they could do something at the deadline or they might wait until the offseason. :laugh: It's all speculation but I still like hearing that they really want to add a top pairing defenseman (if Dreger knows what he's talking about).

It seems like the Avs are using Dreger in a way that's similar to Toronto.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl
The Sabres get St. Louis 1st-round pick in 2014 if Blues make Western Conference finals or Ryan Miller re-signs. 1st round in 2015 automatic

Gets even better for the Sabres. They could get two 1st round picks in this deal.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hopefully Kings, Sharks and Ducks blow a lot of assets in the arms race. It will benefit Avs in the long run.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What happens if the Blues don't make it to the WCF and Miller re-signs after the draft?

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Wow, and additional first too?! Prices are at an all time high. Maybe Giggy could bring in just one 1st. :sarcasm:

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
That's a good haul for Buffalo.

Doesn't look like Blues fans are too pleased.

I don't understand why Blues fans would be upset. They are trying to win a Cup now, aren't they?

They upgraded 2 roster spots significantly and didn't have to give up any of their top 5 prospects in the process. They gave up a first rounder in a deep draft, but they wouldn't be picking til the end of that round anyway. Ditto the 2014 first that they might not even have to give up. This trade is win-win for both teams.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Wait how is the trade? In what way are the picks conditional?

EDIT: In the Miller trade that is.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl
The Sabres get St. Louis 1st-round pick in 2014 if Blues make Western Conference finals or Ryan Miller re-signs. 1st round in 2015 automatic

Gets even better for the Sabres. They could get two 1st round picks in this deal.

Wow what a return. Murray is killing it.

What happens if the Blues don't make it to the WCF and Miller re-signs after the draft?

I've always wondered about this sort of condition on a pick, where if the team just agrees to a deal but waits until after the draft to sign them. You always see that condition apply to the following draft just for that reason.

If I were a Sabres fan I'd just forget about that condition, and worry about the WCF condition.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It's almost too much. You can't have a handful of rookies several years in a row.

I guess that's why they wanted a 2015 first rounder from Blues so they spread out the picks a bit.

I agree but I don't think all of those picks make the team instantaneously. I think 1 makes it and the others get seasoning and they come up over time.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl

And people think we took it from the Blues in our trade.
Buffalo potentially bent them over with no lube and rammed hard.

But it is a worthwhile endeavor for the Blues. Goalie was a weakness for them and they are a title contender. Could mean he difference between a cup or losing early.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The Sabres rebuild is being done correctly.

2012- 2 Firsts, 1 second
2013- 2 Firsts, 3 seconds
2014- 2 Firsts, 3 seconds
2015- 3 Firsts, 1 second

Some of those could change based on conditions, but that's the likely breakdown.

That's kind of absurd.

From the thread on the trade board.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They play either the Ducks or SJ, I don't see STL beating Anaheim but they could take the Sharks. Tough matches either way.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Buffalo is probably going to be out of the picture for a while. Their descent was similar to Colorado's except it was much more rapid.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Market value has been set, and it is expensive.

It's going to be interesting to see how the other top teams respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad