Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averick*

All I ask is if they go the stop-gap route to do it over the summer and get one for free in FA. It also makes me think back to last summer and wonder if they were going to do the stop-gap solution they would have done it then. To me it really feels like they are holding out for a good long term solution. We've heard all season how Sakic and Roy are shopping for D and it just doesn't seem fitting that they all of a sudden would go with a temporary solution. I feel like there is going to be one move, either a trade or a signing and that's it, not a series of little moves to mask things here or there. That's what they are using the Holden/Guenin/Benoit now for anyway and those guys came cheap and free.

They're approach suggests to me that they felt they might have one more season where they struggle and didn't want to spend money for nothing. It also suggests to me that the success was more than expected and they want to give the team a chance in the playoffs. Crazy things happen all the time in the NHL playoffs. They want to give the team a chance to go on that run since the opportunity exists.

If this was their approach, I think this is both reasonable and fair. Since the team gas stepped up, the front office would be showing a willingness to do the same with a stopgap. But I think it's also important to be flexible. There are a number of viable options and reasonable approaches to take, whether it's Kulikov or Markov.

They're approach suggests to me that they felt they might have one more season where they struggle and didn't want to spend money for nothing. It also suggests to me that the success was more than expected and they want to give the team a chance in the playoffs. Crazy things happen all the time in the NHL playoffs. They want to give the team a chance to go on that run since the opportunity exists.

If this was their approach, I think this is both reasonable and fair. Since the team gas stepped up, the front office would be showing a willingness to do the same with a stopgap. But I think it's also important to be flexible. There are a number of viable options and reasonable approaches to take, whether it's Kulikov or Markov.

Their

Last edited by a moderator:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Commented next to the names above. Most of those names are not capable of playing with EJ for any real length of time, and most of the ones that are will be re-signed or in Staal's case going to Carolina. Methot is the only realistic possibility, and I don't like him as a #2 full time.

I'm not saying they need to do it in a trade this year, but that is a need that needs to be addressed at some point in the near future (from now until the end of the 2015 off-season). Bigras could be ready by then, but I have some doubts. I don't think Siemens will be close.

I feel like you just crapped all over those names just to stick to your point haha. You can't say "will re-sign" to all the names, especially the 2016 list. There's no way to know who'll test free agency. There certainly will be many that do re-sign, but with the cap going up, there will be lots of guys testing free agency. Much more than recently, and the Avs will be better positioned than most to afford them.

You also are looking to replace a 36 year old Hejda, and saying "too old" to guys that are in their early to mid 30's, and all younger than Hejda. Paul Martin for example will be 34, and has the smarts and mobility to play well late into his 30's. A guy like Beauchemin you can't at all say "will re-sign if still good." There's no way to know that with any certainty.

There will be a decent list of defenseman, and nearly all those names are better than what will be left besides EJ if Hejda retires. There has only been an ugly list of UFA defenseman the last couple years and it's for obvious reasons of the cap going down, and teams aligning themselves to have guys under contract during the uncertainty of the expiring CBA.

The cap is about to go up significantly. There will certainly be some good UFA D men in the future to replace Hejda, and the Avs will have the cap space to afford an overpayment if they have to.

I agree in not holding a roster spot for guys like Bigras and Siemens. That's just not a smart way to do it. Let them play their way into bigger roles. I think they need one trade this year, but they will also have to tap into the UFA market in the next couple years to keep from giving up too many assets. There will be a #2-4 type guy available, and that should be fine for what they'll need when Hejda leaves. After all, as good as Hejda has been, he's realistically a #3-4 type guy himself. He's just playing as a #2.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i don't think there will be big change in UFA's hitting the market. maybe more the other that teams lock up their guys or trade them away (and then often re-signed with their new teams). you can't let good players walk for nothing. i think teams are learning that.

only ones that hit UFA are like vanek, who really want to test the market and/or want to go home. i think those will be in the minority.

and maybe if team is desperate for a cup run.

you have to draft well and develop well. that's the key. imo you can't rely on UFA for building your team. unless you're minnesota.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I feel like you just crapped all over those names just to stick to your point haha. You can't say "will re-sign" to all the names, especially the 2016 list. There's no way to know who'll test free agency. There certainly will be many that do re-sign, but with the cap going up, there will be lots of guys testing free agency. Much more than recently, and the Avs will be better positioned than most to afford them.

You also are looking to replace a 36 year old Hejda, and saying "too old" to guys that are in their early to mid 30's, and all younger than Hejda. Paul Martin for example will be 34, and has the smarts and mobility to play well late into his 30's. A guy like Beauchemin you can't at all say "will re-sign if still good." There's no way to know that with any certainty.

There will be a decent list of defenseman, and nearly all those names are better than what will be left besides EJ if Hejda retires. There has only been an ugly list of UFA defenseman the last couple years and it's for obvious reasons of the cap going down, and teams aligning themselves to have guys under contract during the uncertainty of the expiring CBA.

The cap is about to go up significantly. There will certainly be some good UFA D men in the future to replace Hejda, and the Avs will have the cap space to afford an overpayment if they have to.

I agree in not holding a roster spot for guys like Bigras and Siemens. That's just not a smart way to do it. Let them play their way into bigger roles. I think they need one trade this year, but they will also have to tap into the UFA market in the next couple years to keep from giving up too many assets. There will be a #2-4 type guy available, and that should be fine for what they'll need when Hejda leaves. After all, as good as Hejda has been, he's realistically a #3-4 type guy himself. He's just playing as a #2.

First, most of those names are going to be in their mid to late 30s when they are in free agency and demanding 4-5 years deals to get signed (Martin, Brewer, Stuart, Beauchemin, Jackman, and Bieksa fall in that category). They might have a 1 or 2 good seasons in that role after signing.

Some forced trades to go back to specific areas, and because of that are likely to stay there. Stuart and Michalek fit into those categories.

Some are just not good defensemen like Greene, Gleason, Brewer, Leopold, Goligoski, Schenn, and Grossman.

So what you have left is Yandle, Martin, Seabrook, Staal, Methot, Greene, Sekera, and Gio. Martin is loved in Pittsburgh, there is no way they let him go. Seabrook is getting a huge deal from Chicago to stay, not a single chance he is let go. Staal is a long shot at coming here, but I think that he will reach UFA. Methot isn't a good enough player to be a long term solution, he would be great on the middle pairing though. Greene could go either way, but I don't think Lou lets him slip away. That is the only big assumption so far. Sekera will be a huge commodity next year and Carolina knows this. They will either work out a deal with him, or he will be traded at the deadline and that team will try to work out a deal with him. Gio is possible, but would be 33. If he hit the market it would be a worth while risk. I think he gets traded before he becomes a UFA. Yandle is interesting, and very valuable. Phoenix has one of the best GMs in the league and will find a way to lock him up or ship him to where he wants to go (likely Boston).

The UFA lists always look really good a year or two in the future. Very few of those players actually go to free agency (hell Letang looked like he could hit UFA before he signed his deal), and when they do, they have a destination in mind like Suter did with Minnesota or Hamhuis and Garrison (stretch on top defensemen with him) with Vancouver. Other than those you are left with the Scuderi and Wideman's of the world as UFA defensemen. The odds of the Avs landing a Sekera or Yandle type is pretty low, and I wouldn't be willing to bet the team's window for contention on signing one of those players. It would only be a bonus if they were available.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Avs really have to stockpile talent in lake erie so that some avs players become trade assets for when the right deal comes along.

The hawks have lost a lot of players from their teams, but kept their main core. Luckily they have had depth in the organization to fill out key roles on the 3rd line and on the blueline or to make trades to fill small holes. Avs have to follow this model and I think they can without trading a major key player.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hejda only having one year left on his contract and probably one-two years left in the tank complicates matter. They can't get another defender that's on the same time line because losing two defenders the same summer would create big problems right in the middle when the window is supposed to open for the team.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
First, most of those names are going to be in their mid to late 30s when they are in free agency and demanding 4-5 years deals to get signed (Martin, Brewer, Stuart, Beauchemin, Jackman, and Bieksa fall in that category). They might have a 1 or 2 good seasons in that role after signing.

Some forced trades to go back to specific areas, and because of that are likely to stay there. Stuart and Michalek fit into those categories.

Some are just not good defensemen like Greene, Gleason, Brewer, Leopold, Goligoski, Schenn, and Grossman.

So what you have left is Yandle, Martin, Seabrook, Staal, Methot, Greene, Sekera, and Gio. Martin is loved in Pittsburgh, there is no way they let him go. Seabrook is getting a huge deal from Chicago to stay, not a single chance he is let go. Staal is a long shot at coming here, but I think that he will reach UFA. Methot isn't a good enough player to be a long term solution, he would be great on the middle pairing though. Greene could go either way, but I don't think Lou lets him slip away. That is the only big assumption so far. Sekera will be a huge commodity next year and Carolina knows this. They will either work out a deal with him, or he will be traded at the deadline and that team will try to work out a deal with him. Gio is possible, but would be 33. If he hit the market it would be a worth while risk. I think he gets traded before he becomes a UFA. Yandle is interesting, and very valuable. Phoenix has one of the best GMs in the league and will find a way to lock him up or ship him to where he wants to go (likely Boston).

The UFA lists always look really good a year or two in the future. Very few of those players actually go to free agency (hell Letang looked like he could hit UFA before he signed his deal), and when they do, they have a destination in mind like Suter did with Minnesota or Hamhuis and Garrison (stretch on top defensemen with him) with Vancouver. Other than those you are left with the Scuderi and Wideman's of the world as UFA defensemen. The odds of the Avs landing a Sekera or Yandle type is pretty low, and I wouldn't be willing to bet the team's window for contention on signing one of those players. It would only be a bonus if they were available.

Haha, ok I won't get into this too much with you, because seemingly no defenseman is good enough to replace Jan Hejda? I mean come on. I like the guy, but he's not an elite defenseman.

There are gonna be plenty of defenseman that will capably fit into the Avs top four, including the guys you claim just aren't good. Not sure who you think the Avs are going to bring in instead of the names you're shooting down. Not sure why you think if a defenseman is good, his team will definitely re-sign him. That's not really how it works. Guys will surely hit free agency in the coming years.

You're going off the last two years of thin free agency to say guys won't test the free agent market. It's clear as day why the free agent market was thin the last couple years. That will not be the case when the cap goes up significantly and the CBA is in place for almost a decade. The list will shorten as always, but there will be plenty of defenseman to choose from once July comes around starting in 2015, and they're not going to be a bunch of 5/6 scrubs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Haha, ok I won't get into this too much with you, because seemingly no defenseman is good enough to replace Jan Hejda? I mean come on. I like the guy, but he's not an elite defenseman.

There are gonna be plenty of defenseman that will capably fit into the Avs top four, including the guys you claim just aren't good. Not sure who you think the Avs are going to bring in instead of the names you're shooting down. Not sure why you think if a defenseman is good, his team will definitely re-sign him. That's not really how it works. Guys will surely hit free agency in the coming years.

You're going off the last two years of thin free agency to say guys won't test the free agent market. It's clear as day why the free agent market was thin the last couple years. That will not be the case when the cap goes up significantly and the CBA is in place for almost a decade. The list will shorten as always, but there will be plenty of defenseman to choose from once July comes around starting in 2015, and they're not going to be a bunch of 5/6 scrubs.

You are missing the point... It isn't about replacing Hejda directly as much as getting a partner for EJ that can help this team contend. Hejda isn't good enough to be a #2 on a contending team, and he is better than a number of those that you listed. As much as I like MacDonald for this team, I don't want him near the top pairing going forward and the same goes Leopold, Gleason, Brewer, Jackman, etc. Also, if you think teams Pittsburgh and Chicago are going to just let their top pairing defenders walk, I got some beach front property to sell you.

Getting a 3/4 defensemen in free agency isn't that hard getting a 1/2 is very difficult. Hell, MacDonald and Girardi are possible to head to UFA, as is Markov who with age is likely to regress from where he is today fairly quickly. There have only been a handful of 1/2s that have hit the open market since 06... Suter, Chara, Rafalski... I might be forgetting a few, but they are a rarity. The guys who are out there are the Wideman, Wisniewski, Streits or the Scuderis. Fine players, but not what they Avs need to replace Hejda on that pairing.

I'm perfectly fine with a stop gap for now to shore up the middle pairing, but the top pairing has to be figured out if this team wants to contend. It will either be through a trade that will be costly or a reclamation project, or it will be through the draft.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You are missing the point... It isn't about replacing Hejda directly as much as getting a partner for EJ that can help this team contend. Hejda isn't good enough to be a #2 on a contending team, and he is better than a number of those that you listed. As much as I like MacDonald for this team, I don't want him near the top pairing going forward and the same goes Leopold, Gleason, Brewer, Jackman, etc. Also, if you think teams Pittsburgh and Chicago are going to just let their top pairing defenders walk, I got some beach front property to sell you.

Getting a 3/4 defensemen in free agency isn't that hard getting a 1/2 is very difficult. Hell, MacDonald and Girardi are possible to head to UFA, as is Markov who with age is likely to regress from where he is today fairly quickly. There have only been a handful of 1/2s that have hit the open market since 06... Suter, Chara, Rafalski... I might be forgetting a few, but they are a rarity. The guys who are out there are the Wideman, Wisniewski, Streits or the Scuderis. Fine players, but not what they Avs need to replace Hejda on that pairing.

I'm perfectly fine with a stop gap for now to shore up the middle pairing, but the top pairing has to be figured out if this team wants to contend. It will either be through a trade that will be costly or a reclamation project, or it will be through the draft.

They don't have to get a #1/2 in free agency though. If they can great, but if they can make a trade this year, and then stabilize the core with a top four guy when Hejda leaves, they should be in decent shape.

You don't seem to be looking to replace Hejda, you seem to be wanting to significantly upgrade him. That would be nice, but it's not a necessity. They can get by with a pretty good D core if they just round it out with more quality guys in the top four.

Look at it this way. What kind of a UFA was Hejda viewed as when the Avs signed him. That's all they'll need again. They don't HAVE to find a long term top notch solution to replace him. That's why a number of those guys should be ok, and if they can get one of the bigger names when they hit FA, so much the better. There will be a lot of options. Bigger names, and lesser but reliable names. That was my point.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They don't have to get a #1/2 in free agency though. If they can great, but if they can make a trade this year, and then stabilize the core with a top four guy when Hejda leaves, they should be in decent shape.

You don't seem to be looking to replace Hejda, you seem to be wanting to significantly upgrade him. That would be nice, but it's not a necessity. They can get by with a pretty good D core if they just round it out with more quality guys in the top four.

Look at it this way. What kind of a UFA was Hejda viewed as when the Avs signed him. That's all they'll need again. They don't HAVE to find a long term top notch solution to replace him. That's why a number of those guys should be ok, and if they can get one of the bigger names when they hit FA, so much the better. There will be a lot of options. Bigger names, and lesser but reliable names. That was my point.

If the Avs want to contend, they will have to upgrade Hejda, and have a Hejda level defender to play on the middle pairing. The Avs won't get past both St Louis and Chicago without improving the defense. For this season, I don't mind at all just solidifying the middle pairing and going from there. Beyond that, the expectations have to grow. If Bigras can jump in and pull a Brodin, great! Problem solved! If not, and the Avs are left with EJ, Barrie, Hejda replacement, and crap in 15-16... the team will not be better off than they are today.

So if contending in the goal (which it is), Hejda will have to be upgraded.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If the Avs want to contend, they will have to upgrade Hejda, and have a Hejda level defender to play on the middle pairing. The Avs won't get past both St Louis and Chicago without improving the defense. For this season, I don't mind at all just solidifying the middle pairing and going from there. Beyond that, the expectations have to grow. If Bigras can jump in and pull a Brodin, great! Problem solved! If not, and the Avs are left with EJ, Barrie, Hejda replacement, and crap in 15-16... the team will not be better off than they are today.

So if contending in the goal (which it is), Hejda will have to be upgraded.

A lot will depend on who they trade for, and how guys like Bigras and Siemens develop. If some of those names hit UFA that I listed, they will be just fine I think.

After all, what is their other option? To trade for a guy this year, and then make another big trade for this #2 type upgrade on Hejda? That's gonna be awfully tough to pull off assets wise.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
A lot will depend on who they trade for, and how guys like Bigras and Siemens develop. If some of those names hit UFA that I listed, they will be just fine I think.

After all, what is their other option? To trade for a guy this year, and then make another big trade for this #2 type upgrade on Hejda? That's gonna be awfully tough to pull off assets wise.

A lot will depend on their and others developments, but also how quickly Hejda regresses from here. The Avs went defense heavy in the last draft to hopefully find a gem or two IMO.

One big trade would be preferable as finding a middle pairing guy isn't that difficult on the UFA market, and I think Bigras could handle top 4 minutes fairly early in his career. That isn't likely as you have to find a partner that is willing to do it. The more realistic option is that they solidify the middle pairing with an expendable asset like PAP, and then making a trade in the offseason to bring in a project/struggling/buried young defender that has a high ceiling... a Cowen/Kulikov/Erixon/Merrill/Larsson type and hope you catch lightning in a bottle. Odds are against those trades panning out, but if two trades are required, the Avs don't have the assets to make a big trade after giving up PAP/2014 1st/McGinn in the stop gap trade.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A lot will depend on their and others developments, but also how quickly Hejda regresses from here. The Avs went defense heavy in the last draft to hopefully find a gem or two IMO.

One big trade would be preferable as finding a middle pairing guy isn't that difficult on the UFA market, and I think Bigras could handle top 4 minutes fairly early in his career. That isn't likely as you have to find a partner that is willing to do it. The more realistic option is that they solidify the middle pairing with an expendable asset like PAP, and then making a trade in the offseason to bring in a project/struggling/buried young defender that has a high ceiling... a Cowen/Kulikov/Erixon/Merrill/Larsson type and hope you catch lightning in a bottle. Odds are against those trades panning out, but if two trades are required, the Avs don't have the assets to make a big trade after giving up PAP/2014 1st/McGinn in the stop gap trade.

The problem is, if they move PAP for a D man during the season (which they definitely should IMO) then how are they going to bring in a Cowen/Kulikov/Erixon/Merrill/Larsson type. I just don't see them having the assets to do so.

This is why they'll have to go UFA at some point. You need to utilize all three options of the draft, trade, and free agency to build a team in the cap era. It's just too hard to only focus on one or even two of the three.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I've been really impressed with John Carlsson's game for the US. Don't get to watch him enough in Washington. Wish the Avs could get the Caps to be stupid enough to move him, but it'll never happen. He's on a great deal too ($3.966) for another four years.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That's exactly why I've been saying they likely will make one move. They don't have the assets to execute multiple moves. That's why I do not think there will be a move to get a stop-gap becuase if they are going to use assets it has to be for a long term solution, something like a young upside project fits into that category. FA is for a stop-gap. Once PA, 2014 first, McGinn, Elliott go there literally is nothing else to give and it won't be any different next season unless you want to gamble away another first in an excellent draft.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The problem is, if they move PAP for a D man during the season (which they definitely should IMO) then how are they going to bring in a Cowen/Kulikov/Erixon/Merrill/Larsson type. I just don't see them having the assets to do so.

This is why they'll have to go UFA at some point. You need to utilize all three options of the draft, trade, and free agency to build a team in the cap era. It's just too hard to only focus on one or even two of the three.

There is plenty around to go after a project defender, they don't cost much. 2014 1st, one of Siemens/Elliott (management is too high on Bigras to trade), 2015 1st, one of Aitto/Pickard, Sgarbossa, McGinn, etc could all be used. If PAP could bring back say Gorges by the deadline, and then in the off season dangle the 2014 1st + for Kulikov/Cowen/Larsson the defensive core could really be improved greatly without giving up too much.

I know people will cry organizational depth, but having one of Siemens/Elliott, Bigras, and Butcher there is good defensive depth when you would have EJ/Barrie/trade as young defenders in the NHL. The 2014 1st pick won't make or break this team especially if it is used for a high ceiling young defender that can step in right away. We have plenty of good goalie prospects. McGinn would be tough to give up if PAP was also gone, but tweeners are easier to replace than young defenders. If Stastny is re-signed, the top 6 group is pretty much filled out (5 of 6 spots).

Like I said, I would rather make a big trade like a McGinn/PAP + 2014 1st + Siemens/Elliott for a younger defender that isn't struggling, but finding a partner for that would be very difficult.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There is plenty around to go after a project defender, they don't cost much. 2014 1st, one of Siemens/Elliott (management is too high on Bigras to trade), 2015 1st, one of Aitto/Pickard, Sgarbossa, McGinn, etc could all be used. If PAP could bring back say Gorges by the deadline, and then in the off season dangle the 2014 1st + for Kulikov/Cowen/Larsson the defensive core could really be improved greatly without giving up too much.

I know people will cry organizational depth, but having one of Siemens/Elliott, Bigras, and Butcher there is good defensive depth when you would have EJ/Barrie/trade as young defenders in the NHL. The 2014 1st pick won't make or break this team especially if it is used for a high ceiling young defender that can step in right away. We have plenty of good goalie prospects. McGinn would be tough to give up if PAP was also gone, but tweeners are easier to replace than young defenders.

Like I said, I would rather make a big trade like a McGinn/PAP + 2014 1st + Siemens/Elliott for a younger defender that isn't struggling, but finding a partner for that would be very difficult.

I just don't see any of those teams trading their young D man for a 1st. That's just not how trades go down. A team will want a player of similar age or older, not just reset back to an unproven 1st round pick like the one they used to take the defender they're giving up. You never see a team make a trade like that, because it just makes them look bad.

The only one of Cowen/Kulikov/Erixon/Merrill/Larsson that you listed I might be able to see doing so would be Larsson because Lou is probably a bit desperate to get a 1st this year, and Larsson hasn't progressed all that well, but that would be a horribly ugly trade. Give up the #4 pick for for a mid to late 1st?

Those teams will want legit NHL talent to replace them. The type of trades that can get done with a 1st are a newly rebuilding team shipping out an older player.

I think the lightning in a bottle scenario is a good approach, but that's what they should be going for with the initial Kulikov trade. He'll at least be solid if he doesn't hit his potential too.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I just don't see any of those teams trading their young D man for a 1st. That's just not how trades go down. A team will want a player of similar age or older, not just reset back to an unproven 1st round pick like the one they used to take the defender they're giving up. You never see a team make a trade like that, because it just makes them look bad.

The only one of Cowen/Kulikov/Erixon/Merrill/Larsson that you listed I might be able to see doing so would be Larsson because Lou is probably a bit desperate to get a 1st this year, and Larsson hasn't progressed all that well, but that would be a horribly ugly trade. Give up the #4 pick for for a mid to late 1st?

Those teams will want an NHL player to replace them. The type of trades that can get done with a 1st are a newly rebuilding team shipping out an older player.

McGinn would have to be in play, or the team would have to be ready to press the reset button. McGinn + 1st/Siemens has a lot of value to a lot of teams. Hell, you could get Erixon for just McGinn from Columbus and they would likely include a decent plus as well. A McGinn-Cowen trade makes sense as Ottawa desperately needs wingers. Merrilll/Larsson, well New Jersey needs a 1st and they have a lot of defensive prospect depth. Kulikov is tricky because of the relationship between Kuli and Florida. I could easily see him swapped for a close defensive prospect and a pick. There are lots of options in the project area and different ways that those players get traded.

And those are just some examples of players, there are plenty of those types floating around the league.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
McGinn would have to be in play, or the team would have to be ready to press the reset button. McGinn + 1st/Siemens has a lot of value to a lot of teams. Hell, you could get Erixon for just McGinn from Columbus and they would likely include a decent plus as well. A McGinn-Cowen trade makes sense as Ottawa desperately needs wingers. Merrilll/Larsson, well New Jersey needs a 1st and they have a lot of defensive prospect depth. Kulikov is tricky because of the relationship between Kuli and Florida. I could easily see him swapped for a close defensive prospect and a pick. There are lots of options in the project area and different ways that those players get traded.

And those are just some examples of players, there are plenty of those types floating around the league.

I just think a team will want a little more value, and it will be a little harder than that, but I hope you're right.

I still prefer to go UFA to bring in another D man after making the initial trade, rather than give up both PAP AND McGinn (+ a 1st and Siemens/Bigras and whatever else it takes). Much easier, and they have plenty of assets to replace guys in the future, and dangle in future trades to put them over the top.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I've been really impressed with John Carlsson's game for the US. Don't get to watch him enough in Washington. Wish the Avs could get the Caps to be stupid enough to move him, but it'll never happen. He's on a great deal too ($3.966) for another four years.

Yeah, I believe that was brought forth (a Stastny-for-Carlsson suggestion) in the past. He'd be a really good solid addition for the Avs, but he'd cost a lot. Plus, then what would Washington do on their blue line? Good player though.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i don't see cowen moving. especially for cheap. he's struggling, so his price is low compared to what he can bring. he's still young and bigger D tend to go through bit struggles until breaking out.

kuli, maybe but not for prospects or picks, i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad