Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I see no reason for teams to make moves before the olympic break. Anything can happen with a few weeks off. Injured players may completely recover, star players may get hurt in Russia. I just see no reason to make a move so suddenly when there is no hockey to be played. Why not relax and wait and see how everything looks a few games after the olympic break? Especially since most teams who feel obligated to make a move are teams who are trying to contend. They aren't going to want to go hard to get a 7 million dollar player only to pay out extra money for 3 weeks of nothing. I think it will be very quiet until after the first freeze.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
If you make the move now you get the player, you pay likely far less than when the season resumes after the Olympics and he can potentially bond with some future teammates.

The market is going to be a major rumor filled pain in the ass after the games.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Tanguay's injury may hold the Avs off trading PAP until after the break. I'd be surprised if they didn't hold Tanguay out until after the break at this point. Let him rest the knee.

I don't really think the 4-5 games between Fridays trade deadline and the March deadline will change much in the standings. At this point, you know where you are.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I see no reason for teams to make moves before the olympic break. Anything can happen with a few weeks off. Injured players may completely recover, star players may get hurt in Russia. I just see no reason to make a move so suddenly when there is no hockey to be played. Why not relax and wait and see how everything looks a few games after the olympic break? Especially since most teams who feel obligated to make a move are teams who are trying to contend. They aren't going to want to go hard to get a 7 million dollar player only to pay out extra money for 3 weeks of nothing. I think it will be very quiet until after the first freeze.

On the other hand, teams trying to sell Olympians are going to be highly motivated to make a move this week. It's a tough situation for a team to give up all control of a player for that they intend to trade. I'm still pretty damn sure one of Miller, Vanek, or Callahan will be traded this week.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
On the other hand, teams trying to sell Olympians are going to be highly motivated to make a move this week. It's a tough situation for a team to give up all control of a player for that they intend to trade. I'm still pretty damn sure one of Miller, Vanek, or Callahan will be traded this week.

Exactly. If that player becomes injured during the Olympics (longer than the trade deadline) then they just lost their trading chip.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
There's some benefit to trading before the deadline. The player will get practice time with the team during the break to get accustomed to the team, and can get his personal life situated. I think there will be some trades. The price may be lower if you're paying more salary too.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Tanguay's injury may hold the Avs off trading PAP until after the break. I'd be surprised if they didn't hold Tanguay out until after the break at this point. Let him rest the knee.

I don't really think the 4-5 games between Fridays trade deadline and the March deadline will change much in the standings. At this point, you know where you are.

Going 1-3-1 over a stretch can change things significantly. Especially when teams will be at game ~64 with not much time to make up the those points they lost. Now this won't change the top and bottom teams, they already know... it is the bubble teams.

Sellers:
Oilers
Sabres
Islanders
Panthers
Flames

Buyers:
Avalanche
Ducks
Blackhawks
Blues
Sharks
Kings
Penguins
Bruins
Lightning
Devils (no 1st, no incentive to tank)
Blue Jackets
Rangers
Maple Leafs
Red Wings
Flyers

*Last 4 on reputation and needing to make the playoffs, CBJ are tired of losing and had 3 1sts last year

Bubble:
Canadiens (close to a buyer, a short winning streak would move them up)
Canucks (hockey trades, but not a pure buyer)

Hurricanes
Senators (little tough to read, maybe a buyer with only long term in mind)
Capitols
Coyotes
Preds (Rinne's status means a lot here)
This group needs to go on a winning streak to be buyers, staying around 500 would make them wait until after the break

Stars
Jets
A quick losing streak will send them selling... could happen before Friday

The middle bubble group are the teams I see waiting until after. The bottom group could join the sellers before.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
There's some benefit to trading before the deadline. The player will get practice time with the team during the break to get accustomed to the team, and can get his personal life situated. I think there will be some trades. The price may be lower if you're paying more salary too.

Something that always confused me about this concept. Are a player's salary done per 365 days or per 82 games?

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Teams can't practice during the break, at least not officially.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Something that always confused me about this concept. Are a player's salary done per 365 days or per 82 games?

Their contracts are paid out for 82 games because they don't get paid in the PO's (though they might get bonuses for achieving certain successes in the PO's).

However my understanding is that they get paid twice a month. So they calculate a player's salary over the course of the 82 game season to be paid out in 2 paychecks a month. So it is believable that there could be some motivation to NOT have to pay a player's salary during the Olympic Break.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Their contracts are paid out for 82 games because they don't get paid in the PO's (though they might get bonuses for achieving certain successes in the PO's).

However my understanding is that they get paid twice a month. So they calculate a player's salary over the course of the 82 game season to be paid out in 2 paychecks a month. So it is believable that there could be some motivation to NOT have to pay a player's salary during the Olympic Break.

Yeah but if that's the case, then the old team would be paying for the large bulk of that 1st paycheck of the month (assuming the player even plays a single game for the new team before the break). Meaning there would be no difference in financing between trading for a guy right before the break and right after as they're not getting paid to play in the Olympics.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Players are paid 1st and 15th. So it would make sense to make a trade after the Olympics if you are going to take on salary. If it's a small contract or a dollar for dollar trade, it might as well happen before the deadline.

I guess if a team is willing to accept a lesser return to avoid having to pay $300k-400k to a player February 15th, a player like Callahan could be traded before the Olympics.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Teams can't practice during the break, at least not officially.
First week they can't, but as its been pointed out, they get a week of practice at the end of the break. It wouldn't make sense to not let teams practice at the end of the break. The week could be helpful learning a new system and chemistry.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I don't get that...

If the cap is figured daily, wouldn't it make sense to trade them away sooner?

Cap and payroll are two separate entities. It makes sense for a team to try to unload an expensive player before the break so they do not have the pay the player while he sits at home.

As for the cap, I'm not sure how it changes. I believe that it technically gets easier to fit a player in as the year goes along. So, teams at the cap limit are better off waiting as long as possible to maximize the amount of room they have.

But, the cap is something that is a lot more complex than x amount per year, so I don't really know how it works.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
OK, so if a team is trying to trade player "A" away so that they can fit player "B" under the cap, trading player "A" sooner is better for cap relief. Then they could acquire player "B" later, if they need to play the cap that closely (if player "B" is more cap expensive than player "A").

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Players' pay is calculated on a per day basis over the 195 day regular season. So they will get paid for every day over the Olympic break, which may motivate some teams to move expensive players or contracts they don't want so that they don't pay them for 10% of the season they don't do anything during. The cap works on a per day basis as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad