Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LII

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd be happy with Methot. Like Gorges, Emelin, MacDonald (re-signed), etc, he is a medium-term middle pairing defender. They stop the bleeding on the defensive core and give Barrie a partner, but don't have enough upside to be a partner for EJ (replacing Hejda) long-term.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The problem with Markov is that he will demand a pretty hefty contract, and I'm not sure he's that big an upgrade to our top four.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/andrei-markovs-reputation-outstrips-his-play/

That article was back in December.

Basically, I'm not entirely certain Markov will be a top-four guy for much longer. I think he'd absolutely be a boon for the power play, and he'd obviously do better than what we currently have in a middle-pairing or top-pairing role, but long-term I think he's more risk than reward. I won't cry foul if the Avs make a play for him, but I don't think his acquisition is a no-brainer.

As far as the defense struggling against faster skaters, well, part of that is the fact that EJ and Hejda are still being seriously overworked. Improve the depth on this squad and I think you'll see less of Kessel ripping past the D so easily.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
:huh: I'm missing your point here. Are you saying Markov has the same problem, re: struggling against good skaters?

Yes, having 3 of your top 4 defensemen being that slow will make it into a lose-lose situation as I stated before.

The Habs are the second most team I watch and Markov isn't around Hejda or Johnson slowness. He is more around Sarich's level of speed (due to injury though).

Montreal will also want at least a decent piece back and I think we could get someone better and younger for Parenteau. I mean if we can get Markov for a 2nd round pick, you do it. But not for Parenteau or Stostny.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the Avs go the stop gap route, I would like them to try to pick up a project as well. Two cheaper projects (relatively) that I would like to see the Avs go after are Sbisa and Erixon. Erixon would probably cost more as he has shown a lot of promise, but is stuck in the minors with CBJ's depth.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Markov slow? He an average skater right now and worlds better than Guenin, Holden, Sarich, Wilson. I don't see anyone picking on Hejda's skating and Markov is easily better than he is.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the Avs in on this (not that I would be thrilled about it).

Chuck Gormley
‏@ChuckGormleyCSN
Agree that D Ladislav Smid will be dealt before March 5 NHL trade deadline. Would be a nice fit on Caps' blue line. #CapitalsTalk

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd be happy with Methot. Like Gorges, Emelin, MacDonald (re-signed), etc, he is a medium-term middle pairing defender. They stop the bleeding on the defensive core and give Barrie a partner, but don't have enough upside to be a partner for EJ (replacing Hejda) long-term.

I don't think they need to worry about replacing Hejda right now, or finding a partner for EJ to move Hejda with Barrie. He's got another year on his deal, and you never know, they could re-sign him and get another year or two of effectiveness out of him if he ages well.

Plus they have Bigras and Siemens, and any UFA's or future trades that could help them fill that role.

I think their number one priority in terms of finding a defenseman, is not to give up too much. They should basically get the best they can get for PAP IMO, as his loss won't hurt the team much. They can get the higher end guys down the line via UFA, and they'll be set up well cap wise to give out an overpayment or two like you have to in free agency.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the Avs in on this (not that I would be thrilled about it).

Chuck Gormley
‏@ChuckGormleyCSN
Agree that D Ladislav Smid will be dealt before March 5 NHL trade deadline. Would be a nice fit on Caps' blue line. #CapitalsTalk
Smid hasn't played well at all this year. Taking on that contract would be a big risk.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think they need to worry about replacing Hejda right now, or finding a partner for EJ to move Hejda with Barrie. He's got another year on his deal, and you never know, they could re-sign him and get another year or two of effectiveness out of him if he ages well.

Plus they have Bigras and Siemens, and any UFA's or future trades that could help them fill that role.

I think their number one priority in terms of finding a defenseman, is not to give up too much. They should basically get the best they can get for PAP IMO, as his loss won't hurt the team much. They can get the higher end guys down the line via UFA, and they'll be set up well cap wise to give out an overpayment or two like you have to in free agency.

Hejda is 35, and while he is playing well, his days are numbered and he is bound to drop off at some point soon. People have been worried about Girardi/Gorges/etc breaking down at a much younger age, Hejda is much closer to breaking down than any of them. We might get another year of effectiveness out of Hejda as our #2, but he will have to be replaced at some point. Either the Avs try to replace him through a trade, or Siemens/Bigras are going to have to develop quickly. I'm not sure the Avs should bet on Siemens/Bigras being ready to handle 22-24 minutes by the end of 2015.

High-end defensemen don't typically hit the free agent market, and if they are there, they get overpaid. MacDonald and Niskanen will likely be the best 33 and under defensemen on the market. If Girardi somehow makes it to UFA, he will get 5.5-6m for 6-7 years.

Smid hasn't played well at all this year. Taking on that contract would be a big risk.

Agreed, though the cap hit isn't terrible and could be easily absorbed in a 70+m cap world.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hejda is 35, and while he is playing well, his days are numbered and he is bound to drop off at some point soon. People have been worried about Girardi/Gorges/etc breaking down at a much younger age, Hejda is much closer to breaking down than any of them. We might get another year of effectiveness out of Hejda as our #2, but he will have to be replaced at some point. Either the Avs try to replace him through a trade, or Siemens/Bigras are going to have to develop quickly. I'm not sure the Avs should bet on Siemens/Bigras being ready to handle 22-24 minutes by the end of 2015.

High-end defensemen don't typically hit the free agent market, and if they are there, they get overpaid. MacDonald and Niskanen will likely be the best 33 and under defensemen on the market. If Girardi somehow makes it to UFA, he will get 5.5-6m for 6-7 years.

Hejda very likely could fall off, but that's by no means a for sure thing. It's certainly possible that he could still be effective at 37, and his style of play and smarts might lend to that. If he doesn't, they have other options to replace him, rather than NEEDING to do so this year in trade.

As for UFA defenseman, that's only been the case the last couple years. The UFA market has been dead because teams wanted to lock up their players to cover the new CBA, and the players and their agents wanted to do the same because of the uncertainty over the cap going down.

Starting in 2015, quality defenseman will finally start to hit the market. These are the guys that are scheduled. Many of these guys will get re-signed before hitting the market, but the list of guys scheduled is much more impressive than the last couple years.

The cap is about to go up significantly in the next two years, as opposed to only slightly, and then last year going down significantly. That will lead to less player re-signing with their teams, and more hitting the market There will be a few good options to replace Hejda if they are so inclined.

Mike Green
Paul Martin
Z Michalek
Marc Staal
Eric Brewer
Brad Stuart
Francois Beauchemin
Barrett Jackman
Marc Methot
Andy Greene
Anrej Sekera
Jordan Leopold

Brent Seabrook
Keith Yandle
Alex Goligoski
Kevin Bieksa
Dan Hamhuis
Braden Coburn
Marc Giordano
Tim Gleason
Luke Schenn
Nicklas Grossman
Plus other RFA's that didn't sign long term previously.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco

Oh I'd be more than happy with Methot. He's not being properly utilized in Ottawa and would be an excellent pairing for Barrie. I'd love to pick him up while his stock is low, seeing as how Ottawa is fighting for a playoff spot it would likely be a true hockey trade. However I'd love to see him in our 2nd pairing and possibly our top pairing moving forward. I mean he's a Team Canada invite and has had recent incidents where he wasn't happy with his situation in Ottawa. I say we pounce on the opportunity.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Yes, having 3 of your top 4 defensemen being that slow will make it into a lose-lose situation as I stated before.

The Habs are the second most team I watch and Markov isn't around Hejda or Johnson slowness. He is more around Sarich's level of speed (due to injury though).

Montreal will also want at least a decent piece back and I think we could get someone better and younger for Parenteau. I mean if we can get Markov for a 2nd round pick, you do it. But not for Parenteau or Stostny.

Hmm. I really never viewed Hejda or EJ as 'slow'. I think for big men, they're reasonably mobile. Not elite mobility, but not terrible either.

Can't comment on Markov's current skating ability, as I've only seen a couple of Montreal games this season. That guy would be an immediate and big upgrade on the power play though. I'm hesitant due to cost and injury concerns there. But if Markov is truly now running at 'Sarich speed', then no thanks.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hejda very likely could fall off, but that's by no means a for sure thing. It's certainly possible that he could still be effective at 37, and his style of play and smarts might lend to that. If he doesn't, they have other options to replace him, rather than NEEDING to do so this year in trade.

As for UFA defenseman, that's only been the case the last couple years. The UFA market has been dead because teams wanted to lock up their players to cover the new CBA, and the players and their agents wanted to do the same because of the uncertainty over the cap going down.

Starting in 2015, quality defenseman will finally start to hit the market. These are the guys that are scheduled. Many of these guys will get re-signed before hitting the market, but the list of guys scheduled is much more impressive than the last couple years.

The cap is about to go up significantly in the next two years, as opposed to only slightly, and then last year going down significantly. That will lead to less player re-signing with their teams, and more hitting the market There will be a few good options to replace Hejda if they are so inclined.

Mike Green -not good defensively
Paul Martin - older, and will be re-signed
Z Michalek - will re-sign with Phoenix
Marc Staal - going to Carolina
Eric Brewer - will be 36
Brad Stuart - will be 35, will re-sign if still good
Francois Beauchemin - will be 35, will re-sign
Barrett Jackman - will be 34
Marc Methot - really a #3, but would be a solid signing
Andy Greene - older, and will be re-signed
Anrej Sekera - would be a solid signing, don't see Carolina letting him slip away for nothing. re-signed or traded and re-signed.
Jordan Leopold - been there

Brent Seabrook - will be re-signed
Keith Yandle - will either be re-signed or traded and re-signed
Alex Goligoski - I shouldn't comment on him
Kevin Bieksa - will be 35
Dan Hamhuis - will be 34
Braden Coburn - would be a legitimate option if he made it to UFA
Marc Giordano - would be 33, but playing style should allow him 3-4 good years at least
Tim Gleason - barely a middle pairing player
Luke Schenn - a 3/4
Nicklas Grossman - middle pairing
Plus other RFA's that didn't sign long term previously.

Commented next to the names above. Most of those names are not capable of playing with EJ for any real length of time, and most of the ones that are will be re-signed or in Staal's case going to Carolina. Methot is the only realistic possibility, and I don't like him as a #2 full time.

I'm not saying they need to do it in a trade this year, but that is a need that needs to be addressed at some point in the near future (from now until the end of the 2015 off-season). Bigras could be ready by then, but I have some doubts. I don't think Siemens will be close.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
EJ not mobile? WAT.?
E J is a coast to coast guy, not blinding fast but nimble with good hands. The list of ufa looks tasty too, though we may not be as hungry if trades add some d depth.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
EJ has had some trouble with quick forwards but from what I've noticed, it's usually when he's backing up and they're coming in with speed. I definitely wouldn't call him "slow".

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
EJ not mobile? WAT.?
E J is a coast to coast guy, not blinding fast but nimble with good hands. The list of ufa looks tasty too, though we may not be as hungry if trades add some d depth.

EJ is mobile. Not sure where this thought that he is not comes from.
Backtracking issues are not the same thing as a inability to be mobile.
I guess the fans that say that conflate being able to stay with a slick forward as being mobile.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If the Avs go the stop gap route, I would like them to try to pick up a project as well. Two cheaper projects (relatively) that I would like to see the Avs go after are Sbisa and Erixon. Erixon would probably cost more as he has shown a lot of promise, but is stuck in the minors with CBJ's depth.
I could see the Avs trying to buy low on Sbisa, for sure. Anaheim has lots of depth and he seems to be the odd man out. Might be an offseason move though.

I still expect a defenseman to be brought in in the next two weeks.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
why is it set in stone that staal is going to carolina? i mean he for sure wants to win a cup and i see the appeal with playing with his brothers but is carolina seriously gonna be a contender anytime soon? I hope staal realizes that before he signs there and hopefully signs with us :yo:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
why is it set in stone that staal is going to carolina? i mean he for sure wants to win a cup and i see the appeal with playing with his brothers but is carolina seriously gonna be a contender anytime soon? I hope staal realizes that before he signs there and hopefully signs with us :yo:

Honestly, in the east they would have a pretty solid team built around: E Staal, J Staal, Skinner, and Semin up front, a defensive core of M Staal, Falk, Sekera, and Murphy, and Ward or whoever they decide is their guy in goal. Not a bad start with Rask and Lindholm coming up it looks like they can round out their forward core and be a pretty solid team.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Honestly, in the east they would have a pretty solid team built around: E Staal, J Staal, Skinner, and Semin up front, a defensive core of M Staal, Falk, Sekera, and Murphy, and Ward or whoever they decide is their guy in goal. Not a bad start with Rask and Lindholm coming up it looks like they can round out their forward core and be a pretty solid team.

well when you say it like that:(

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
If you consider avs as sellers, I do not, what pairing of d men would you want in return for Duchesne or other top forward?

Shea Weber, PK Subban, Karlsson, Petrangielo are a few I might take for Duchene, but Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, and you can probably include O'Reilly aren't going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad