Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Parenteau for Methot? I don't know how good he is. Maybe we/they would need to add.

Methot was traded for Nick Foligno straight up.
Foligno was a 30-50 2nd/3rd liner.

PAP should be enough from our end. Valuewise. Don't know if Ottawa is in need of a player of his kind.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
PAP would likely be an overpayment. McGinn with a plus would likely get a deal done. They would likely want a top 4 defensemen or a top 6 forward with size as the main piece in a return (to replace Michalek next year).

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Not sure why so many are giving up Parenteau so easily. Globally, in his 87 games played for the Avs so far, he's got 68 points. That's pretty damn good.

Along with Tanguay and Stastny, he gives us the opportunity to have a playmaker on each scoring line and theoretically keep J.Malkin off of the the PP (hopefully).

I understand that upgrading the D is a priority but I certainly wouldn't be giving up Parenteau as easily as some of you are doing right now.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Ok PAP would be overpayment. Do they have a decent 2nd/3rd liner we can pick up if we add a pick in the deal?

PAP + pick <=> Methot + 2nd/3rd liner

Not sure why so many are giving up Parenteau so easily. Globally, in his 87 games played for the Avs so far, he's got 68 points. That's pretty damn good.

Along with Tanguay and Stastny, he gives us the opportunity to have a playmaker on each scoring line and theoretically keep J.Malkin off of the the PP (hopefully).

I understand that upgrading the D is a priority but I certainly wouldn't be giving up Parenteau as easily as some of you are doing right now.

Only because he's the odd man out if we want instant uprage on D.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000

Agreed. Just because he's struggling this year doesn't change the fact that he's a first line winger. Giving him up for a number four defenseman doesn't make sense. If he leaves, it has to be for a top pairing guy.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Ok PAP would be overpayment. Do they have a decent 2nd/3rd liner we can pick up if we add a pick in the deal?

PAP + pick <=> Methot + 2nd/3rd liner

Only because he's the odd man out if we want instant uprage on D.

Honestly I'd rather be able to run three scoring lines and have a suspect defense than roll two scoring lines and have an alright defense.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wonder, just how many other teams come back from down 2 goals on a regular basis? On paper our fire power has been insignificant thanks to injuries and the constant line juggling because of the injuries. The difference between this season and past season's is we haven't had to come back too often from being down 2 goals. We often get the lead and somewhat hold onto it.

I wish there was an easy way to look it up but I know Chicago does it all the time (and obv they are great at offense) and when Phoenix was doing well they were doing it almost nightly. There was that stat from the other day where we are 3rd in the league in win percent if we score first. The team has done a good job holding on to the lead and they are not often down 2, the defense should get some credit for that. I agree some more offense from the D would help spark some offense when it's really needed. I feel like in the losses against Toronto, Florida and Edmonton getting down early should not have been a wrap against those teams. They were generating against Toronto and got a bit unlucky though.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Honestly I'd rather be able to run three scoring lines and have a suspect defense than roll two scoring lines and have an alright defense.

Hope you like getting swept in the playoffs then. We need to upgrade the D if we want any chance in the playoffs.

At this point, I think we should try and move the first rounder for a d-man. But the price seems to be ridiculous. I agree with most that we shouldn't over pay, but we kind of painted ourselves in a corner. We could have had Hainsey on the cheap, still pissed off.

edit - It may be best to look for some veteran help for this years playoffs and worry about improving the d long term in the off season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I would be willing to give up a 2014 1st + for a good young defensemen. IMO PAP should only be available for a very good deal. McGinn is fairly expendable simply because he is valuable enough of a piece to bring back a solid defensemen, but isn't good enough to be a regular top 6 player for this team.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
Hope you like getting swept in the playoffs then. We need to upgrade the D if we want any chance in the playoffs.

At this point, I think we should try and move the first rounder for a d-man. But the price seems to be ridiculous. I agree with most that we shouldn't over pay, but we kind of painted ourselves in a corner. We could have had Hainsey on the cheap, still pissed off.

edit - It may be best to look for some veteran help for this years playoffs and worry about improving the d long term in the off season.

I hear Ryan Smyth is on the trade block :)

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
Looks a little bit below what they could've gotten on the open market as well

Absolutely, great deals for them. I'd be stoked as a Shark fan. They're both still playing at a very high level. Plus it gives the Sharks time to bring in their youth without falling off being a contender.

Stastny will be the prize of FA if he makes it that far. Fingers crossed he doesn't

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
that makes stastny as the best upcoming UFA center.

This. By a big margin.
Avs screwed up. Stastny would be really foolish not to cash in now.
He can easily get 7-7.5M with the cap rising and be the #1 C on the team he choses out of the 4-6 teams that would be willing to pay him.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I hear Ryan Smyth is on the trade block :)

I know this is likely a joke, but I absolutely love Smyth. And would take him in a heartbeat. If we trade McGinn or another forward I would love to add him. He really doesn't fit the makeup of our team at all, but I love Smyth.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
This. By a big margin.
He can easily get 7-7.5M with the cap rising and be the #1 C on the team he choses out of the 4-6 teams that would be willing to pay him.
What did they screw up? Everyone knew Marleau and Thornton weren't going to hit free agency. This changes nothing.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I like him too, and he played great for the Avs. But he's way past his expiration date. Part of the reason the Oilers suck is because their support players up front aren't cutting the mustard.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This. By a big margin.

If anything, their contracts reduce his value. They're older, but they're also much higher point producers the last few years, and this year. His agent would be wise not to bring up their contracts when negotiating his.

Still think his value probably sits at $6M as a UFA on the open market. A little less would be a nice discount, and more would be an overpayment.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I know this is likely a joke, but I absolutely love Smyth. And would take him in a heartbeat. If we trade McGinn or another forward I would love to add him. He really doesn't fit the makeup of our team at all, but I love Smyth.

The only thing he would give us is a true net-front for the PP.

Honestly I'd be down to Holmstrom him, as in bury him a deep as possible on the depth chart at even strength, and then play him a ton on the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad