Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) L

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
If someone is dumb enough to offer a 2nd round pick for Mitchell, you have to take it. I'll take a 3rd or a young player in the AHL too. He's a 4th liner on this team and I can't see any scenario where he comes back. Cliche can be the 4th line center for the next 2 months to finish out the year.

Mitchell is nice depth to have, but he has no role on this team beyond this year and can be replaced.

If Marc Methot became available in Ottawa, I hope the Avs are looking into it. He's a healthy scratch tonight and isn't happy but they don't want to put him back in because they won last night and he didn't play.

I had NO idea about that development. Crazy to think he's gone from Team Canada invite (mind you nobody expected him to make it) to healthy scratch. Mind you he could have been scratched to prevent re-aggravating an injury (which upon investigation is what a couple people are saying). I would definitely be curious as to what the pricetag for him is at this point. I wouldn't be against making a move for him, if the price wasn't ridiculous.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
In your opinion, what would it take to get J.Johnson out of Columbus? Would a package around Parenteau work?

J.J + 3rd
for
Parenteau + Wilson

????

Been discussed ad naseum, BJs fans seem to think he's worth ROR. He might be, but he's pretty likely not.

Although progress is being made since over the summer there was no chance he'd be moved and the idea of moving him for ROR was repulsive.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Roy trusts him, uses him in a lot of situations. I'd actually be more surprised to see Mitchell traded than re-signed. I can definitely see him moving on after the season but Roy is not looking to get rid of him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If Marc Methot became available in Ottawa, I hope the Avs are looking into it. He's a healthy scratch tonight and isn't happy but they don't want to put him back in because they won last night and he didn't play.

Would be a good pick up. Maybe they'll have a Quincey situation on their hands.

Not that anyone here (including us Avs fans) knows what kind of value a player holds but a few of the Sens fans had Methot as one of the main pieces coming back in a deal for ROR. Pretty ridiculous but they seem to be very high on him.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Been discussed ad naseum, BJs fans seem to think he's worth ROR. He might be, but he's pretty likely not.

Although progress is being made since over the summer there was no chance he'd be moved and the idea of moving him for ROR was repulsive.

Well that probably comes from the fact that he's their best Dman. Will he be for long? Probably not, Ryan Murray will overtake that throne. However I'd say that (ironically) Jack Johnson has about the same value as Erik Johnson, and I don't think that anyone would think that ROR for EJ would be a fair deal either. if JJ is coming to Colorado for ROR? There's definitely a fair bit more coming back from Columbus for that to happen. All that being said, wouldn't even want JJ in the first place. :P

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Well that probably comes from the fact that he's their best Dman. Will he be for long? Probably not, Ryan Murray will overtake that throne. However I'd say that (ironically) Jack Johnson has about the same value as Erik Johnson, and I don't think that anyone would think that ROR for EJ would be a fair deal either. if JJ is coming to Colorado for ROR? There's definitely a fair bit more coming back from Columbus for that to happen. All that being said, wouldn't even want JJ in the first place. :P

Nope. Not even close. Maybe in the eyes or Pejorative Slurs like Burke, but any competent GM knows how much better EJ is than JJ. AINEC.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

The mere thought of JJ in a CO uniform makes me sick. There are no words for what my reaction would be if Roy sent O'Reilly to Columbus for him.

Gaks*

Incorrect on basically everything but Murray passing him. In many ways Ryan Murray is already better than him. Also he's not the BJs best defender. Without a doubt Tyutin and maybe Wiz are better. JJ has had a great month. But he is nowhere close to being as valuable as Erik.

Having said that PAP isn't enough. I'd love JMFJ on the team though. He's a much improved defender and I'd give up a lot for him... not ROR though. PAP + 1st is probably most I can go.

Ps... I live in Columbus... watch the BJs any time the Avs aren't on. I know that team almost as well as the Avs.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
There's better 4th line centers than Cliche in free agency.

Fiddler, Boyle, McClement, Goc, Moore... why do we need to bring back Cliche? He brings nothing special to this roster, pulling an injured Chris Drury out of retirement would be better.

I'm not hating on Cliche as much as I am the fact he has a roster spot on this team. It makes me sad that we're a playoff caliber team with such an abysmal 4th line that should be considered our energy/grinder line while we play our top 3 lines as scoring lines.

I can name a bunch of better 4Cs in FA too, but not many that will come at the cost of a contract that can be buried if need be who have shown they can be consistently relied upon for the exact "role" that Roy likes out of his bottom players.

Roy trusts him, uses him in a lot of situations. I'd actually be more surprised to see Mitchell traded than re-signed. I can definitely see him moving on after the season but Roy is not looking to get rid of him.

One could only hope Roy's just showcasing the Malkin to the world. I'm afraid though you may be closer to the facts.

Gaks*

Do you follow the Monsters at all? Just curious.

Not as closely as I'd like to. Cleveland is a terrible city and I avoid it like the plague lol. But I read updates occasionally on how the kids are doing.

I go to OSU so it's fairly easy to see a good amount of BJ games a year and follow the team.

But I've gone up to see a couple games with my buddies when they played the Marlies. I played with Ty Biggs growing up for like 7 years and wanted to see one of his first pro games... that's the main reason. I root for Hish, Siemens, Boss, Elliott, Pick, Sami ect. because I think they have NHL potential. Have a hard time rooting for the whole team if I'm honest.... like Hunny Bunny. He can score as much as he wants and have a great year. Don't bother rooting for him because he's so ass in the show.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
After watching the Pens/Isles game, I'm wondering if the Pens would actually consider trading Letang with the emergence of Määttä. He is exactly what we need on the PP, deadly shot and extremely smooth passing ability.

Gaks*

After watching the Pens/Isles game, I'm wondering if the Pens would actually consider trading Letang with the emergence of Määttä. He is exactly what we need on the PP, deadly shot and extremely smooth passing ability.

... I'd rather just have Määttä. Barrie is doing just fine doing Letang's job and isn't making a gagillion dollars. Either way it'd be expensive. Not like they'll give him up for McGinn and a 7th. So no. Do not want.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010

Letang would cost us ROR

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
The problem with acquiring top 4 defenseman and especially top 2 defenseman is that there isn't enough of them to go around. Every team in the league can't have four of them. They just aren't enough. Which means their value excels and you pretty much have to overpay and take a big risk if you wanna get one. See the Neal for Goligoski trade. And Kunitz for Ryan Whitney. (Congrats Pens x2)

It obviously feel like a big no no when someone posts ROR for this d-man or Stastny for this d-man but in terms of real market value. It's probably more fair than what we think.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Letang would cost us ROR

Unfortunately, you are correct. He's suspect defensively and that contract could end up looking bad as he gets older and the injuries pile up but he can skate and move the puck with the best of them. Him running the PP and pushing the puck up the ice to Duchene/MacKinnon would take our offense to another level.

I don't know if it's Letang's defensive zone play or the emergence of their young defensemen but there are quite a few Pens fans who are willing to trade him. A lot of O'Reilly talk on their board too.

member 116861

I would not trade O'Reilly for Letang.

-BrickAHL

Last edited by a moderator:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As crazy as it sounds I'm not sure the Avs are in a position to give up offensive talent to upgrade the D. It sounds ridiculous and on paper it seems like they can, I know. But I've thought about the fact for days that they have come back to win in a grand total of one game they were down 2 goals and that was the shootout win in Winnipeg. A team as offensively talented as this shouldn't have a game out of reach when only down two. That to me is the biggest issue with this team this year, not the mediocre defense getting exposed.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
As crazy as it sounds I'm not sure the Avs are in a position to give up offensive talent to upgrade the D. It sounds ridiculous and on paper it seems like they can, I know. But I've thought about the fact for days that they have come back to win in a grand total of one game they were down 2 goals and that was the shootout win in Winnipeg. A team as offensively talented as this shouldn't have a game out of reach when only down two. That to me is the biggest issue with this team this year, not the mediocre defense getting exposed.

I wonder, just how many other teams come back from down 2 goals on a regular basis? On paper our fire power has been insignificant thanks to injuries and the constant line juggling because of the injuries. The difference between this season and past season's is we haven't had to come back too often from being down 2 goals. We often get the lead and somewhat hold onto it.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com

You might be right, but I think the offense is being held back by the lackluster D. The Avs forwards backcheck like crazy and often times are dropping down closer to the net than most NHL teams do in the D zone. I think this is in no small part to cover for slower and/or less experienced/smart D men.

The Avs also lack that blockbuster breakout pass D man as well as someone who is a sure fire quarterback 5-5 and on the PP. Johnson has some skill there, Barrie has the potential, and Benoit is a decent poor mans choice at it...but they still hold the roster back.

I am not a huge fan of giving up forward depth for the same reason, however PAP or McGinn are much easier to replace moving forward than finding D men that fit the roster. I personally would trade PAP before McGinn due to McGinn being a better fit on the 3rd line and having a slightly more physical upside...but whichever can get a decent NHL D man....

Another reason the Avs are not a huge comeback squad IMO is that they lack the expericed players to make it happen. If you look at the teams that have come back against the Avs as a sample, for the most part they are veteran teams like Phoenix, Nashville, San Jose...ext.

Hell, if Tanguay drops back into the roster with Stastny and Lando...

O'Reilly-Duchene-Mac
Lando-Stastny-Tanguay
McGinn-Mitchell-PAP
McLeod-Cliché-Talbot

could very well be our lineup Friday..and that puts last seasons 25th and the prior seasons 26th scoring player on our 3rd line! It is nice and all....but a huge waste of assets given the D issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad