Post-Game Talk: In Red Wings Tradition the Away Team Wins Again

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That very well may be true. I just really, really don't think Kyle Quincey should be anywhere near a team's top-4 defence corps so I can't imagine you guys are too thrilled with having him out there so much.
The problems with our defense is pretty much the #1 topic of discussion on these boards. Kyle Quiney is actually fine in his role as a #4-5 defensive d-man though. Maybe you didn't enjoy watching him play in this game, but your team didn't score against him either..

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
From the sounds of it, it seemed this. game was lost but they found a way. They finally owned a 3rd period.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The problems with our defense is pretty much the #1 topic of discussion on these boards. Kyle Quiney is actually fine in his role as a #4-5 defensive d-man though. Maybe you didn't enjoy watching him play in this game, but your team didn't score against him either..

Theory: The wings have a top 5-10 top 5 in the league.

In other words, if the Wings went with K, Green, DD, Q, E, March next year, they'd have 5 top 4 defenseman and 6 top 5 defenseman to round out their lineup.

In shorter words: The Wings just need a top pair D to round them out.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Theory: The wings have a top 5-10 top 5 in the league.

In other words, if the Wings went with K, Green, DD, Q, E, March next year, they'd have 5 top 4 defenseman and 6 top 5 defenseman to round out their lineup.

In shorter words: The Wings just need a top pair D to round them out.

The issue is that our top 4 guys are mid tier. Green is a #3 guy, DK is a #3(with #2 potential) Kq is a #4 and looks better because DK is his partner. Kronwall at this stage is a low end #2 most games high end #2 occasionally and some has games where he plays like a 3-4. E is a #5 at best. Marchy is a #5-6 guy at the moment. Also Smith can be anywhere from a 7 to a 4 but is mostly a decent #6. The wings D unit is in the bottom 10 of the league. Now if we somehow magically get a legit #1 guy I think that's a huge boost. And would bring us up to top 15.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The issue is that our top 4 guys are mid tier. Green is a #3 guy, DK is a #3(with #2 potential) Kq is a #4 and looks better because DK is his partner. Kronwall at this stage is a low end #2 most games high end #2 occasionally and some has games where he plays like a 3-4. E is a #5 at best. Marchy is a #5-6 guy at the moment. Also Smith can be anywhere from a 7 to a 4 but is mostly a decent #6. The wings D unit is in the bottom 10 of the league. Now if we somehow magically get a legit #1 guy I think that's a huge boost. And would bring us up to top 15.

Mrazek helps out the D a ton. But they are top 10 in goals against so they keep the puck outta the net for the most part.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
He just sat there and failed to attempt to get back into position.

Mrazek did not have a very solid game in my opinion. His play as of late has been concerning, especially since he will probably keep up the same workload through the rest of the season.

I'm not sure about as of late but no way we could judge Mrazek properly based on an outdoor game. Both goalies were having a hard time seeing through the reflections and shadows. I felt bad I saw Mrazek using his blocker to try and block out the sun! :laugh: Must have been tough to track pucks.

Was it in the 2nd both teams had 4 shots each total? This was an odd one but that's how it is outdoors. The Wings did a decent job of throwing pucks to the net but judging by the goals it should have been done more often. Still too many cute plays and turnovers caused by the forwards in a difficult environment. I finally realize the maniac throng of screaming fans are correct: SHOOT IT!!!

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He just sat there and failed to attempt to get back into position.

Mrazek did not have a very solid game in my opinion. His play as of late has been concerning, especially since he will probably keep up the same workload through the rest of the season.

Two great games. Two bad games. One below average or bad. That's just average especially with this dcore Not really concerned

TeemuS

Feb 13, 2013
I like the way they played last period and not just gave up. Hope we can build on that and get win against Dallas.

On the other note, how interesting, that after a win there is only 2 page of posts, if we would lost there would be around 5 page already with trade blashill, trade nyquist, tatar, richard and all D-man
oh that "fans" :laugh:

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
2 points is 2 points if it's in an arena or in a ballpark or on the moon...good win. Avenge the alumni! :nod:

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Best thing about this game? Four goal-slumping guy's scored!
Very good point.
To be honest my hatred of the Red Wings ended when Peter Forsberg left to Philadelphia as a free agent. I consider Pavel Datsyuk one of my favourite players, have always had a soft spot for Niklas Kronwall and REALLY like Danny DeKeyser. The Alumni game was great to sort of put the rivalry to bed officially, but I hate Minnesota a lot more than I do Detroit.

That very well may be true. I just really, really don't think Kyle Quincey should be anywhere near a team's top-4 defence corps so I can't imagine you guys are too thrilled with having him out there so much.
Datsyuk, Kronwall and DeKeyser is a brilliant choise.

Need to get at least three points out of those three games.
3 points would be very good.
Why don't they play Larkin with Z so he can score again? Was that the 5th straight game without pts?
And now Z and Datsyuk Are not scoring either.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
Man would love to have Tyson Barrie on this team, Gotta love that kid he's exactly what we need.
I would just like to point out that Barrie was on the ice for all five of Detroit's goals. Not saying a wouldn't love to have him on our team, but he obviously have some defensive issues. Feel like we need someone who's a bit more defensively sound... IMO

Why don't they play Larkin with Z so he can score again? Was that the 5th straight game without pts?
If Dats and Z are going to stay together I feel like they would benefit from having one of our speedster on their line- AA or Larkin.

Maybe something like this:
Z - Dats - Larkin
Abby - AA - Nyquist (I liked AA and Gus together)
Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco
Helm - Glendening - Richie

:dunno:

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
I like the way they played last period and not just gave up. Hope we can build on that and get win against Dallas.
I would imagine the slow start was due to not having played since Tuesday and not having had a real on-ice practice in two days. Hopefully they will have quicker legs in the upcoming three game, 'cause they will need it.

On the other note, how interesting, that after a win there is only 2 page of posts, if we would lost there would be around 5 page already with trade blashill, trade nyquist, tatar, richard and all D-man
oh that "fans" :laugh:
Hahah, imagine the PGT if Wings lost the game in the last minute, not the other way around :help: Would not have been pretty :laugh:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Two great games. Two bad games. One below average or bad. That's just average especially with this dcore Not really concerned

In the last 4 or 5 I can only think of one "great game", and even that was just good. Which great games are you referring to?

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
We have played 62 games and 31 times we went home the winner and 31 times the loser. We have a -3 goal differential. I am happy with the win but we are the definition of mediocre

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Marchenko needs to either gain 2-3 steps speed wise or figure out his positioning defenvively. I swear to god I've never seen a defenseman get torched on the pinch as much as he does, it's borderline embarrassing.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
We have played 62 games and 31 times we went home the winner and 31 times the loser. We have a -3 goal differential. I am happy with the win but we are the definition of mediocre
That may be, but the devil is in the details. There are a lot of mediocre teams in the league these days, not everyone has talents like Larkin and Mrazek or veterans like Z and Dats. I still think there's a lot of potential in this team if they can get hot at the right time.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I concur, the whole uniform was on point.:handclap:

You know what, I was coming here to ask what people thought of them. There was much hate when they were first revealed, but I think they looked really good in-game. Wouldn't mind seeing them broken out every now and then as a 3rd Jersey (since we're one of the few teams in the league that doesn't have one).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad