In Praise of Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
well my comment was specifically directed towards a poster upset that some people were getting impatient and the implication that anyone who isn't satisfied at this point is just impatient. I stated that it isn't unreasonable to expect some results by year 6 or 7. If it is, what is reasonable? Year 10? Or just keep pushing it forward a year every year.

To be clear, I'm not necessarily saying we aren't in a decent position now. But to expect the grand plan to produce results by now isn't unreasonable.

Specifically to your question - there's been some inconsistencies in the approach. We should have grabbed more draft picks (not players that were high picks, although that has been nice). We shouldn't have traded picks for veterans. We probably could have removed some of the 'core' that came with the team earlier, to accelerate the process. This has not been a flawless process, and frankly I think there has been some course corrections that have probably extended the grand plan. I give credit that many of the choices have been good. Many opportunities have been missed.

Where does your patience with the process end if it doesn't produce results? Mine should be this year, but I'm extending it to next. I hardly think that's unreasonable or impatient on my part.
I agree with your sentiments and have long believed in a 5 year (or so) plan, going so far as to start a thread with that title a few years ago.
Well, they made the playoffs a year ahead of schedule but then fell back last year, so I don't believe they are far off. The problem is that there is so much parity in today's NHL that there is a lot of randomness contributing to short term results--injuries, etc. The LA Kings winning the SC and missing the playoffs the next year are a good example.
The Jets and Chevy should never be judged by a standard of perfection, as no organization is perfect. In the overall scheme of things, the mistakes of which I have been openly critical have been addressed and I get the process. So, I remain patient and cautiously optimistic.
At some point soon, Chipman will hold Chevy accountable for results, but it isn't this year. That is because, as a savvy businessman, he knows that startup businesses based on a sound long-term vision often are operated at a loss for the first number of years. If the vision is sound, that is built into the business plan. And in the Jets case, the STH are implicitly co-investors in that vision by filling the seats every night.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Until Chevy produces a legit and reliable #1 goalie he doesn't deserve any praise. Its year freakin 6.

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
You gotta think that the vets on the team (anyone from Scheifele up) will or have already had a word with coaches or management about the goaltending situation. How much longer can they wait? It is one of, if not the most demoralizing thing a team can face; bad goaltending where you never feel secure or confident in any game.

While I'm not giving up on Helly, I would prefer that we get a reliable and proven vet and let Helly be the backup for a year or two. Something like what happened with Allen and Gibson.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
If there is nothing relevant that might predict future success, there's really not much to talk about. Just follow the standings.

but there is

e4wbyag.png

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You gotta think that the vets on the team (anyone from Scheifele up) will or have already had a word with coaches or management about the goaltending situation. How much longer can they wait? It is one of, if not the most demoralizing thing a team can face; bad goaltending where you never feel secure or confident in any game.

While I'm not giving up on Helly, I would prefer that we get a reliable and proven vet and let Helly be the backup for a year or two. Something like what happened with Allen and Gibson.

Agreed. Don't have to cut bait with Helly, just bring in a vet that gives us middle of the pack goaltending on a consistent bases.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Like most of you I have very little faith in Chevy's ability to find a #1 goalie so far and think that is his biggest criticism.

One thing that I don't think is mentioned enough and that plays a role of development is timing. Not just in having our players grow but also the timing of the Central division. If Chevy is expecting the division to become weaker as some of the big teams become older there is very little reason to excellerate the Jets timeline. I can't think of any adds that would have made them stronger than a team like Chicago over the last couple of years but I'm pretty sure that its doable from next year and on.

I guess what I am trying to say is that other teams strength also plays a role in when you expect your "window" to open.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
Like most of you I have very little faith in Chevy's ability to find a #1 goalie so far and think that is his biggest criticism.

One thing that I don't think is mentioned enough and that plays a role of development is timing. Not just in having our players grow but also the timing of the Central division. If Chevy is expecting the division to become weaker as some of the big teams become older there is very little reason to excellerate the Jets timeline. I can't think of any adds that would have made them stronger than a team like Chicago over the last couple of years but I'm pretty sure that its doable from next year and on.

I guess what I am trying to say is that other teams strength also plays a role in when you expect your "window" to open.

How many teams have struggled to find a solid, dependable goalie? Essentially every non-playoff team? The Leafs, Oilers, Wild, Stars, etc, etc, etc have been searching for years.

Star goalies don't grow on trees, so to suggest Chevy should simply be able to "go find one" is quite optimistic.

He's managed to find two highly touted goalie prospects - Comrie and Helle - hopefully one of these guys pans out, but you can hardly fault him for putting at least two decent lottery tickets in the stable....

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Until Chevy produces a legit and reliable #1 goalie he doesn't deserve any praise. Its year freakin 6.

It's been year 0.2 where they haven't been anchored to the worst starting goaltender in the last five years. And up until yesterday, our starting goalie was above league average and had been throughout his career -- still is, career stat wise, but w/e.

Point is, this has been one of the ugliest spells we've played through. It takes about 2,000 shots to get even a reasonable assessment of a goalie's abilities. Bucky has faced 894 and is still (barely) above league average for that period with a .914. Let's at least let him go below average before we write him off as worthless?

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
It's been year 0.2 where they haven't been anchored to the worst starting goaltender in the last five years. And up until yesterday, our starting goalie was above league average and had been throughout his career -- still is, career stat wise, but w/e.

Point is, this has been one of the ugliest spells we've played through. It takes about 2,000 shots to get even a reasonable assessment of a goalie's abilities. Bucky has faced 894 and is still (barely) above league average for that period with a .914. Let's at least let him go below average before we write him off as worthless?

well ok, but, who's fault is that?

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
well ok, but, who's fault is that?

One part Chevy, One part all the crappy goalies in the world.

Stars went out and spent 10M or so on goaltending and it hasn't fixed the problem.

The Price of picking up a potential starting goalie is what turns me off. 1st round picks....

He did stick to his strategy though. he drafted quite a few goalies and now the org is developing the best ones. He stuck to the plan

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
How many teams have struggled to find a solid, dependable goalie? Essentially every non-playoff team? The Leafs, Oilers, Wild, Stars, etc, etc, etc have been searching for years.

Star goalies don't grow on trees, so to suggest Chevy should simply be able to "go find one" is quite optimistic.

He's managed to find two highly touted goalie prospects - Comrie and Helle - hopefully one of these guys pans out, but you can hardly fault him for putting at least two decent lottery tickets in the stable....

Agree with the bolded and definitely think we need to see a bigger sample size from Buckf**k (sorry but I love that name). He could very well still turn into a stud as could Comrie. I do however think that they could have been assessing those lottery tickets sooner. Ideally the Jets know if acquiring a new goalie is necessary well before the next training camp.

I actually think Chevy has done a great job for as long as I have followed the team and as of now the goalie position is my only question mark. So me complaining about goalies is a result of not having very much to complain about :cry:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Agree with the bolded and definitely think we need to see a bigger sample size from Buckf**k (sorry but I love that name). He could very well still turn into a stud as could Comrie. I do however think that they could have been assessing those lottery tickets sooner. Ideally the Jets know if acquiring a new goalie is necessary well before the next training camp.

I actually think Chevy has done a great job for as long as I have followed the team and as of now the goalie position is my only question mark. So me complaining about goalies is a result of not having very much to complain about :cry:

Hellebuyck put up fantastic numbers in all other leagues before the NHL. I'm not sure what other "assessment" they could've done on him.

Some players are great in every league they play in but can't make it in the NHL. We're about 70+ games before we have an idea if Hellebuyck is one of those players.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hellebuyck put up fantastic numbers in all other leagues before the NHL. I'm not sure what other "assessment" they could've done on him.

Some players are great in every league they play in but can't make it in the NHL. We're about 70+ games before we have an idea if Hellebuyck is one of those players.

I do wonder whether the Jets might need better development / coaching for their young goalies. That would be on Chevy. When he was asked about goaltending today, he certainly didn't seem thrilled about performance so far.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Schneider got traded for what a#8 overall pick. That's what a scheifele or an ehlers? I don't think I would do that trade, especially at the point they were at as a franchise...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I do wonder whether the Jets might need better development / coaching for their young goalies. That would be on Chevy. When he was asked about goaltending today, he certainly didn't seem thrilled about performance so far.

They seem to develop quite well in the lower leagues to date, it's once they get to the show that it seems to be an issue. Helle and Hutch played really well in the minors under the tutiledge of the development goalie coaches. Comrie also seems on track so far.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Schneider got traded for what a#8 overall pick. That's what a scheifele or an ehlers? I don't think I would do that trade, especially at the point they were at as a franchise...

9th Overall actually... which became Bo Horvat.

But come to think about it Schneider used to be such a gem for the Moose, was probably their best player ever before the Jets came back.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
So, going back to my original post...

Trouba resigned to a reasonable and eminently tradeable deal.

And, he's drafted the league leaders in points and goals.

AND, we have a team currently in a playoff spot DESPITE a devasting injury bug.

Can we at least admit he's in the top half of league GMs?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So, going back to my original post...

Trouba resigned to a reasonable and eminently tradeable deal.

And, he's drafted the league leaders in points and goals.

AND, we have a team currently in a playoff spot DESPITE a devasting injury bug.

Can we at least admit he's in the top half of league GMs?

I think I lot of posters would agree with you. Some not. But I have a feeling he will be around for a long long time. His handling handling of the Trouba bumps him up a bit more IMO.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think I lot of posters would agree with you. Some not. But I have a feeling he will be around for a long long time. His handling handling of the Trouba bumps him up a bit more IMO.

In a vacuum, I'm not sure that I like the bridge deal for Trouba. Ideally, I would have liked a long-term deal, like he negotiated with Scheifele. But I think that there are market vagaries and challenges that Chevy might face that will force him into deals and/or trades that aren't based purely on hockey.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
In a vacuum, I'm not sure that I like the bridge deal for Trouba. Ideally, I would have liked a long-term deal, like he negotiated with Scheifele. But I think that there are market vagaries and challenges that Chevy might face that will force him into deals and/or trades that aren't based purely on hockey.

I would presume that Chevy most certainly would also prefer a long-term deal, so there clearly was an impediment to that happening.

It does put Trouba in a position where he needs to "prove it" - not the worst of scenarios.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
...just a little nudge to this thread to remark on the deep and talented roster the Jets have now.

Their forward depth might be the best in the NHL. It took some time to build, but they have a very talented, young and deep set of forwards.

With Morrissey's recent transition to the NHL and Trouba's return, they are now able to add a couple of young top-4 D to a roster that still has Buff, Myers and Enstrom.

I think that with good coaching and a bit of development time this is a roster that could really compete in the next few years. It might even have a shot at a playoff berth as early as this season.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
...just a little nudge to this thread to remark on the deep and talented roster the Jets have now.

Their forward depth might be the best in the NHL. It took some time to build, but they have a very talented, young and deep set of forwards.

With Morrissey's recent transition to the NHL and Trouba's return, they are now able to add a couple of young top-4 D to a roster that still has Buff, Myers and Enstrom.

I think that with good coaching and a bit of development time this is a roster that could really compete in the next few years. It might even have a shot at a playoff berth as early as this season.

Agree. It's a lot of fun being a fan right now. I also appreciate that our rise looks conveniently timed to catch a lot of the Central division on the downswing of their "competitive" windows.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I started thinking about that while watching the game.
Very few teams can match up that depth if any, majority of the players are young/not in their primes.

But that raises a potential future consern, every contender needs quality players on ELC, just looking what has happened to all the past Cup winners or elite teams the Bruins included. Jets forward depth is crazy but all those young players that create that depth will need new contracts in 2-3 years time, and at that time the team should be a contender.
It will be highly important for Chevy to have prospects who he can put into the lineup with ELC and expect a quality hockey.
So whatever happens keep the 1st, 2nd round pick from this year and sell Stafford to get another pick.

The goaltending question should be looked at next offseason more closely after the expansion draft. With likely Helle getting protected it's pretty difficult to fix/address now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce