In Praise of Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
During my relatively brief time on this board, I have been surprised by the inordinate amount of anti-Chevy talk. As with the news, it’s pretty normal that negativity is more likely to be voiced than positivity. But, that’s a shame because I believe the Jets’ front office has done an admirable job, particularly given the bucket of broken parts that was the Atlanta Thrashers when they arrived.

The Jets have set themselves a monolithian task – build a perennial contender in hockey’s smallest market. The San Antonio Spurs/Green Bay Packers plan. A “process†that takes incredible patience, near perfection at the Draft, a little luck and nailing the really important decisions.

To me, Chevy has had three key sets of decisions that he’s had to make. I’m not talking about the “resign your 4th line right wing†type decisions- you can always recover from those. I’m talking decisions that, if not handled correctly, would stall or reverse the forward progress of the team and their lofty, contending goals.

To me, the three key sets of decisions he’s faced, in no particular order:

1. Andrew Ladd vs. Dustin Byfuglien – who to resign, at what cost and term?
- Chevy of course chose Big Buff. Ladd is on track for a grand total of eight (8!!!) points this year. It looks like the lightning quick pace of the modern NHL may have ever so slightly passed him by. Buff, while having made a few mistakes this year, is being tasked with 30 minutes a game and we managed to keep the term to a reasonable length. I think Chevy absolutely nailed this decision. Getting Dano back also didn’t hurt, nor did a bagging a late 1st rounder for our troubles.
2. The Evander Kane saga
- Pretty clear that Chevy pulled off one of the most one-sided trades of recent memory. Beyond Myers, it’s the Roslovic + Armia + Lemieux aspect of this trade that makes it a huge win. It’s difficult to pull off a player-for-player trade in today’s league; Chevy waited for the right offer and crushed it.
3. First Round Picks
- The one thing that Chevy needed to get right to build a contender in a small market with minimal free agent potential. Scheifele, Trouba, Ehlers, Morrissey, Connor and Roslovic….. A few of these were slight surprises which makes it even clearer that Chevy and the scouting staff did an exceptional job of talent evaluation. I’m not even including Laine, who was almost assured to go 2nd regardless of the team there. It is nigh impossible to fault the Jets’ talent evaluation in the first round….

Sure we can point to not bringing back Frolik and Stempniak (role players, each). Signing Stu, Pavs, Strait and Thorburn (to be fair, outside of Pavelec, none of them are expected to play in our top 9 or top 4). Perhaps some small part in the Trouba saga. But I would suggest each of these decisions are far less important than the three above to builder a winner. When it has absolutely mattered, Chevy has consistently knocked it out of the park.

So, let’s give the man a little love rather than thinly veiled contempt for a change!

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Like most GMs he's done good things and he's done bad things.

I don't believe for a minute Ladd will end up the year with 8 points, but getting rid of him at the deadline was the right choice. Was the return (pressbox Dano and Logan Stanley) good? Yeah probably. I also think the Buff deal was good for us.

The Kane trade was a slight win in my book - potentially upgradeable to a big win if Roslovic and Lemieux become productive NHLers and Armia continues to improve. Don't count those chickens until they hatch. The fact Kane and Bogo spent much of the time with Buffalo injured definitely helps the optics of the trade.

No big misses yet in 1st round drafting (although you'd sure hope there weren't - I'll be kind and give Stanley a few years before he's called a miss). You could say missing red flags on Trouba is a slight negative but I don't think we can be disappointed with what he's done with 1st round picks. I just wish he'd have accumulated more picks (as you'd expect a 'draft and develop' team to do.)

I won't focus on the negatives, and there are a decent amount. Will just say that at some point we need to produce results. I doubt it'll be this year, but if next year is when we start being a perennial playoff team and occasional contender then I suppose history will judge him well.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Been as many negatives as positives for sure, but like the way he has handled the Trouba affair & has had a much better run this summer (minus Stanley which seems so obviously bad that we'll likely all be wrong)

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Inheriting the garbage squad he did I'm really pleased with his work when viewed as a whole.

The most important things for me are the fact that in 6 drafts Chevy has had 8 first round picks and has aquired 3 other players selected in the first round (okay Lemieux was 31st but it might as well be a 1st)

So in Chevys first 6 NHL drafts he has actually come away with 11 first round picks. That's almost 2 per draft which is kinda incredible. On top of the first rounders he's found 2 top notch goalie prospects in the latter rounds and also managed to pick up Lowry, Copp, Petan and some other promising prospects such as Niku, Spacek, Harkins and Foley.

He has stuck to the draft and develop he said he would. He hasn't given up any 1st round picks and outside of defence I don't see a glaring weakness in our system. truthfully if Trouba didn't pull a Turris I'd be really comfortable with our D as well.

His Cap management is completely undervalued as well.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Yeah it's not like GM's have inherited next to nothing with expansion teams and built them up to be stronger in a shorter period of time. Oh wait.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I think the biggest complaint is how he never addressed the teams depth issues and goaltending issues. But really he has fixed those things In a long term way, but there was a lot of short term pain and frustration.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Like most GMs he's done good things and he's done bad things.

I don't believe for a minute Ladd will end up the year with 8 points, but getting rid of him at the deadline was the right choice. Was the return (pressbox Dano and Logan Stanley) good? Yeah probably. I also think the Buff deal was good for us.

The Kane trade was a slight win in my book - potentially upgradeable to a big win if Roslovic and Lemieux become productive NHLers and Armia continues to improve. Don't count those chickens until they hatch. The fact Kane and Bogo spent much of the time with Buffalo injured definitely helps the optics of the trade.

No big misses yet in 1st round drafting (although you'd sure hope there weren't - I'll be kind and give Stanley a few years before he's called a miss). You could say missing red flags on Trouba is a slight negative but I don't think we can be disappointed with what he's done with 1st round picks. I just wish he'd have accumulated more picks (as you'd expect a 'draft and develop' team to do.)

I won't focus on the negatives, and there are a decent amount. Will just say that at some point we need to produce results. I doubt it'll be this year, but if next year is when we start being a perennial playoff team and occasional contender then I suppose history will judge him well.

I think you'd be surprised at just how often certain teams miss in the first round. Take the Blackhawks:

2008:

Beach taken 11th has zero games

2009:

Olsen taken 28th 124 games but lately has bounced between the NHL and AHL.

2010:
Kevin Hayes 168 games

2011:

McNeil taken 18th has 1 game played to date
Danualt take 26th has 63 games played

Teravainen has 124 games played but has been seen as a disappointment

They have missed on quite a few picks here.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I think the biggest complaint is how he never addressed the teams depth issues and goaltending issues. But really he has fixed those things In a long term way, but there was a lot of short term pain and frustration.

The problem with fixing the goalie situation would have been the cost to me. Potential number 1 guys have been going for 1st rounders. I wouldn't have wanted to give up any of our 1st round picks for a goalie in the first 5 years.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I think Cheveldayoff has done a great job given what we inherited.

Completely agree with you and the OP. I would much rather have the guy who sits back and waits than the guy who throws 1sts away every year. Sure in a year where you look really poised to win the Cup, you can gamble like that like Chicago did for Vermette the other year but I wouldn't want us to sell off picks just to try and get some guys to maybe get us to the playoffs.

Look at our prospects from before the draft to now. I know it's all butterfly effect and "what ifs" but I'm fairly certain the Thrashers wouldn't have taken Mark Scheifele. I feel like that was a special pick because of Winnipeg/Hawerchuk. And maybe that's just my tinfoil hat but I truly believe that's a move that wouldn't have been made in Atlanta.

I love the Kane trade more and more as Armia gets better and better. And with a healthy and inspired Myers, it's looking great, even though I miss Bogosian some days.

Plus, I'll always love the Matty P signing and the extension even if he's not doing too hot right now.

My biggest gripe with Chevy is the loyalty, but I get it. When you actually interact with these guys as humans I can see how it's hard to just "buy out" or "bury in the minors" a player. Pavelec should have been gone years ago, IMO, and Stuart's deal was kind of dumb but they're pretty insignificant right now overall. They haven't cost us any players. Same with Thorburn.

For now, I am fine with taking the cons with the pros of Chevy. I think we could be a tiny bit more active in trying to make our line-up better but overall I'm happy. Even with the way last year flopped, I was happy that they were willing to give a bunch of young guys a shot. In hindsight, Stempniak would have been a great piece, but sometimes you have to learn through mistakes.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He's the best GM in the League imo.

He has two Turner and Calder Cups, also an assistant for Chicago in 2010 when they won. Also look at the amazing moves he has made. But I know he made some bad ones, but they're all ones I can look passed because the good ones he has made are just too good.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
With what he's started with, given what he's accumulated, he gets a very good grade.

The epic win that is the Kane trade cannot be understated at this time. Consider this: someone shows up to your poker game every Friday night for four years, but he doesn't play. He just sits, bides his time, maybe deals a few hours here and there or does snack runs for tips, or what not.

And then, one day, he casually walks up with a fistful of money and asks to buy-in.

Are *you* gonna want any part of that? I'd be out of there as fast as to feet could carry me.

So yeah, if someone waits four years to make their first trade, it should be anything BUT a surprise that they made out like a bandit.

Many more hits than misses, and capable of managing a team both to a championship someday and to keeping a good, healthy prospect system. This team will be a perennial contender like Detroit in their heyday.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Nice OP. I think Chevy has been a great GM for us so far. This team is in incredible shape going forward.

I think the people who say there are so many negatives to Chevy's reign are people who don't understand the model True North and Chevy are using, and so they think the Jets should have been competing for a Stanley Cup or making waves in the playoffs already.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Hmm when do these wins come with all these improvements? The Jets 1.0 barely won with Selanne, Zhamnov, Tkachuk, Housley, Numminen, Steen, Essensa etc.

Getting some shiny new players doesn't mean ****.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Let me just state:

If you want to productively debate the OP, then by all means: do so. If the only reason you're in this thread is to troll and cast derision on posters, I'm happy to remove this thread from your purview.

An opposing view is not against the rules: trolling and flaming is.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Hmm when do these wins come with all these improvements? The Jets 1.0 barely won with Selanne, Zhamnov, Tkachuk, Housley, Numminen, Steen, Essensa etc.

Getting some shiny new players doesn't mean ****.

Not sure what you're suggesting, don't get new players? They kind of have to, don't they? Not sure what Jets 1.0 not winning has to do with Chevy.

I don't see anything wrong with the shiny new players Chevy has managed to procure, the lineup is finally starting to reflect his progress. The wins will come soon enough.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Overall, I'd say he's done a good job. Only big mistake was not buying out Pav a few years ago.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Not sure what you're suggesting, don't get new players? They kind of have to, don't they? Not sure what Jets 1.0 not winning has to do with Chevy.

I don't see anything wrong with the shiny new players Chevy has managed to procure, the lineup is finally starting to reflect his progress. The wins will come soon enough.

Really, it's not clear? We have new players because we sucked. We haven't won anything with all these juicy new players. The Jets 1.0 also had a lot of shiny new players. It didn't make them winners. Would you prefer I use more obscure examples that most here wouldn't remember?

I am curious when does the winning part happen? What are supposed to be impressed with? Drafting high picks who don't suck?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Really, it's not clear? We have new players because we sucked. We haven't won anything with all these juicy new players. The Jets 1.0 also had a lot of shiny new players. It didn't make them winners. Would you prefer I use more obscure examples that most here wouldn't remember?

I am curious when does the winning part happen? What are supposed to be impressed with? Drafting high picks who don't suck?

What is going to make them winners in your opinion? Get less shiny players? I understand perfectly the Jets have never won, well not since the WHA anyway.

The winning happens when some of these guys mature and reach their potential I guess. Most of them aren't even close to their ceilings.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think it's been three years since we started grading Chevy......I still haven't changed my grade.

Grade = C

Until we get results.......everything else is largely meaningless.

IMO he's a pretty average GM.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I think it's been three years since we started grading Chevy......I still haven't changed my grade.

Grade = C

Until we get results.......everything else is largely meaningless.

IMO he's a pretty average GM.

Interestingly, my grade is also a C. I like most of his drafting (with some question marks here and there), and his one big player for player trade I liked (funny that all 4 NHL ready pieces are currently injured :laugh:). The peripheral stuff seemed to be shuffling of deck chairs, while the "shiny new players who haven't done anything yet" matured to the point where they could actually do something.

I would agree with the average ranking - not the best, not the worst. I think he's done exactly what the front office has asked of him to this point though. It's time to shift gears, and turn these "shiny new players" into something that can compete. I think it'll happen soon.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
Thank God he didn't sign Ladd to that 6 year deal that was on the table. Ladd looks like he's done, but no one here wanted to believe me last year. That contract would have been another Pavelec contract but much, much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad