In Need of New Ownership

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
^ I hadn't thought of it that way... I guess that was the birth of Canes online discussion.

Incidentally, I came to know of the existence of a paper called the N&O through Nandonet, which was one of the larger features of the early-90s internet landscape. I wonder how many people around the world learned about local Triangle news through that portal.

Well, ****. Sounds like Nandonet was a big deal, and here I was thinking that knowing of its existence solidified my credentials as a Raleigh native. Guess I need to come up with an even more obscure local fact.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Incidentally, Nandonet = NandO.Net = N&O.Net. Yup, the N&O ran an ISP for a while in the mid-to-late '90s. The idea was that the internet was the future of news delivery, which was mostly true, but it turns out that being both a news source and an ISP didn't make much sense. Anyway, for the curious, here's all the info you could ever want to know about it.

Never knew this. Really interesting. Apparently Nando's dial-up service was sold to MindSpring which then became part of EarthLink. My family had EarthLink in the Mid-late 90's. I guess I could have been part of Nandonet without knowing it.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Never knew this. Really interesting. Apparently Nando's dial-up service was sold to MindSpring which then became part of EarthLink. My family had EarthLink in the Mid-late 90's. I guess I could have been part of Nandonet without knowing it.

MindSpring went on a tear in the '90s of buying up local ISPs. After my parents had their fill of AOL, we went to City Online which was a small ISP based out of Columbia, SC. COL got bought by MindSpring as well and, as you mentioned, MindSpring then got bought by EarthLink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad