In Chevy We Trust

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Has Chevy ever traded a roster player who wanted to be here? Armia maybe? And he wasn't a Top 6 core guy. So just one bottom 6 roster player in 13 seasons has been traded without asking for it or indicating he was unwilling to re-sign with the team. His track strongly suggests that Chevy would not have moved either Laine or Dubois if they'd wanted to stay.

Why thanks, Adam, but I think Chevy's got a lifetime appointment no matter what happens on the ice.
Being a GM in Winnipeg can't be easy, oh hey do you want to trade so and so for so and so? Other GM , ya absolutely, hold on that player doesn't want to play in Winnipeg, anyone else you want to trade for? Chevy isn't perfect but i think he's done a pretty good job considering the challenges.

Reactions: Buffdog

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I mean in our market if you have a good player that wants to be here why would you move them? It's harder for us to find players that want to be here let alone good players that do.

On that front Copp may qualify if we can believe he was willing to sign long term here.

I imagine most teams in this league don't deal good players that are invested in their market unless forced to by the cap.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bitetto and Sbisa were not our 7th/8th D men.
He knew Trouba, Myers and Chiarot were leaving and waited a season on Buff. That is what I meant by a boo boo.
I am happy with our D corps. Been happy with is since Dilly and Schmidt arrived. I think Schmidt is way better than Stanley.

They played mostly as injury replacements but maybe one of them was #6 for a time. Makes no difference. Jets lost most of their D corps within a short time span. It took 3 years to get back to some semblance of decent. No booboo involved.

You've been throwing verbal stones at Chevy over this for years. Your expectations were unrealistic, IMO. Do you think he was just not bothering to try to improve the personnel? Is it just booboos by every team that doesn't have a top 10 D corps?

It was a problem that needed to be dealt with. Being unable to do so instantly is not a mistake. It is simply a reality. After the 2019 season we lost Trouba, Myers, Buff and Chiarot. A year later we lost Kilikov. 5 of the top 6. The only one left was Morrissey. The fact it took 3 seasons to rebuild the D corps should have surprised no one. If anything, it was done quickly.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Come to think of it, the trade during the 2016 NHL Draft, to get Logan Stanley at #18, was a miss. I recall people saying that it was a bad pick right away. I was hoping Stanley would prove his critics wrong, but he is a 3rd pairing D-man at best.
That's one of those pics that is a risk but could have been a home run. Let's just consider the upgrade from 2nd to 1st and subsequent pick at 30 of Lambert to be a fortunate mistake eraser (I know it's a huge reach haha)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I mean in our market if you have a good player that wants to be here why would you move them? It's harder for us to find players that want to be here let alone good players that do.

On that front Copp may qualify if we can believe he was willing to sign long term here.

I imagine most teams in this league don't deal good players that are invested in their market unless forced to by the cap.
It might have been a mistake for the cap... but I thought we should have re-signed Chiarot since he had openly expressed his attachment to Winnipeg and the Jets... looking back, that contract wouldn't have screwed anything up and he was a decent player - especially for Maurice's style

On the other hand, Tyler Myers was a massive bullet dodged

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I could swear this year's Jets D corps were the same as last season.
What changed?
Better forwards. Some people just don't get that forwards are critical for good defense, and vice versa.

The system has supported our D, both with getting out of our side, and allowing them to make smart pinches to sustain offense.

Our D corps isn't spectacular but it didn't have to be and the proof is in the pudding.

Our G and F positions are top tier and that allows an average d corps to thrive.

If our special teams were performing better we'd be a top 3 team in the nhl likely.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Come to think of it, the trade during the 2016 NHL Draft, to get Logan Stanley at #18, was a miss. I recall people saying that it was a bad pick right away. I was hoping Stanley would prove his critics wrong, but he is a 3rd pairing D-man at best.
No doubt that Stanley was a "miss", but I'm reluctant to adjudicate any draft based on the a couple of home-run picks that get made later in the draft. That's cherry-picking.

The reality is that the majority of picks from #18 to the end of round 1 in that draft were uninspiring. Most wouldn't make a dent on the Jets' current roster, and wouldn't have high trade value across the NHL today.

Only Tage Thompson has really hit it big, and the team that drafted him (STL) threw him into a trade as a low-value prospect before he hit it big in his D+6 season.

1702918206952.png

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Better forwards. Some people just don't get that forwards are critical for good defense, and vice versa.

The system has supported our D, both with getting out of our side, and allowing them to make smart pinches to sustain offense.

Our D corps isn't spectacular but it didn't have to be and the proof is in the pudding.

Our G and F positions are top tier and that allows an average d corps to thrive.

If our special teams were performing better we'd be a top 3 team in the nhl likely.
This is back to the offseason conversation where 'you don't need a Vezina goalie if you're D core/system is spectacular' - so maybe we don't need a 1RHD if our D has buy in and we have a Vezina goalie...

Team really fell apart in mid-January so we have a bit to go but I just don't see that happening... Scheif's back checking and buy-in is inspiring everyone

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
No doubt that Stanley was a "miss", but I'm reluctant to adjudicate any draft based on the a couple of home-run picks that get made later in the draft. That's cherry-picking.

The reality is that the majority of picks from #18 to the end of round 1 in that draft were uninspiring. Most wouldn't make a dent on the Jets' current roster, and wouldn't have high trade value across the NHL today.

Only Tage Thompson has really hit it big, and the team that drafted him (STL) threw him into a trade as a low-value prospect before he hit it big in his D+6 season.

View attachment 785705

Thanks for that. One certainly forgets about who was drafted after Stanley. Trading up for him was a mistske but it's not like Chevy missed out big on something else.

Reactions: WolfgangPuck

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

View attachment 785705
Its not the Stanley pick that is a killer... its giving up two chances at a good player for one chance at a good player.

If you look at all the picks between our 1st and 2nd that we traded and then window of picks after... which was the actually pool of talent available.

Then we missed on Kyrou, DeBrincat, Thompson, Aspland, Raddysh, Peeke, Hajek, Katchouk, Hart, Hronek, Girard - all good players or good trade chips.

To say Stanley is worth more than a shot at even one of those guys is laughable - whoever ran our scouting that year had a massive miss. Thankfully we are back on track after chasing big slow D for five years.

Thanks for that. One certainly forgets about who was drafted after Stanley. Trading up for him was a mistske but it's not like Chevy missed out big on something else.
I forgot Dube and Hronek.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Being a GM in Winnipeg can't be easy, oh hey do you want to trade so and so for so and so? Other GM , ya absolutely, hold on that player doesn't want to play in Winnipeg, anyone else you want to trade for? Chevy isn't perfect but i think he's done a pretty good job considering the challenges.
It's certainly different being GM in an undesirable market. But I can't complain about the way things have turned out.

Losing Trouba sucked - but his trade demands seemed pretty specific to his fiancee's schooling requirements, as opposed to not wanting to be in Winnipeg because it's a frozen hellhole or something.

Missing out on Stastny after 2017-18 (to f***ing Vegas) also sucked - but even then I think Stats was more drawn to the allure of Vegas than he was low on Winnipeg...any non-top-destination franchise would've lost that battle unless stupid money was involved.

Losing Kane, Laine, Dubois, and staying away from UFA bidding wars has been a net benefit to the team overall - financially and on the ice. Damn, I just recalled that Martin Erat wouldn't waive to come here back in the early days...another bullet dodged... :laugh:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well, he missed out on Girard and DeBrincat, but so did all the other teams with 1st round picks. Girard was drafted by Nashville, and then traded along with a 2nd round pick to Colorado for Kyle Turris.

Colorado looked smart to acquire Girard, but they could have drafted him in 2016. Instead, they used their 2nd round pick (#40 overall) on LW Cameron Morrison, who has yet to play an NHL game and this season has 7 points in 21 ECHL / AHL games this season.

Carolina (GM Ron Francis) had 2 shots at DeBrincat and 3 shots at Girard, but instead selected Jake Bean (#13), Julien Gauthier (#21) and Kuokkanen (#43).

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Totally agree, hockey is a team sport not individual sport. Hopefully Toronto and Edmonton never figure that out.:laugh:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Well, he missed out on Girard and DeBrincat, but so did all the other teams with 1st round picks. Girard was drafted by Nashville, and then traded along with a 2nd round pick to Colorado for Kyle Turris.

Colorado looked smart to acquire Girard, but they could have drafted him in 2016. Instead, they used their 2nd round pick (#40 overall) on LW Cameron Morrison, who has yet to play an NHL game and this season has 7 points in 21 ECHL / AHL games this season.

Carolina (GM Ron Francis) had 2 shots at DeBrincat and 3 shots at Girard, but instead selected Jake Bean (#13), Julien Gauthier (#21) and Kuokkanen (#43).
Are you trying to tell us that drafting is complicated? Interesting.

Yet it doesn't change that odds of drafting a dud if you give up two chances for that dud.

A quick check shows that about 50-55% of the picks after Stanley played some NHL games - just enough to be a Stanley tweener... about 33% developed into meaningful and/or elite NHL talent

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The second round of that draft was solid from what I remember with kyrou, Debrincat, Hronek, Lindgren and Girard. Think for the Jets case in particular it is critical for them to hit on picks since marquee UFAs don't usually consider or sign here in the summer, or ntc/NMC challenges. Teams like the Rangers, Bruins, VGKs etc they can still be fine with average or worse drafting.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think the consensus here had been that he wanted out for quite a while before it finally happened. But IIRC, he indicated afterwards that he would have stayed here if he had received an offer he liked. I don't think he meant crazy big money either.

I always liked Copp. He was a big part of the depth that we had at the time which was much less than what we have now. If we had retained him, he would probably be our 2C right now and probably be adequate, not great in the role.

Considering what we got in trade (Barron, Lambert & Salomonsson) I'm just as happy having traded him.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's one of those pics that is a risk but could have been a home run. Let's just consider the upgrade from 2nd to 1st and subsequent pick at 30 of Lambert to be a fortunate mistake eraser (I know it's a huge reach haha)

The odds of that move ever being a home run were never good. There were several people here pushing DeBrincat and Gerard. Much better odds there.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

View attachment 785705

Agree. You can always use hindsight to draft better. That's why I use DeBrincat and Gerard in this discussion. We had amateur scouts on this board pushing for them. My own choices haven't panned out any better than Chevy's. :laugh: So I don't use them and I don't cherry pick Thompson. But both of those guys had resume's to back the arguments in favour of taking them. They were being passed over for the same reason Stanley was picked, size.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I can't imagine paying Debrincat more money the Connor. He doesn't strike me as a guy that will "push" a team over the top. Don't get me wrong he will score but he just reminds me of guys like Gaudreau or Laine, just not worth it. Girad would have been much maligned here, a smallish offensive D man prone to defensive mistakes. We already have that in Pionk so whats the point.

They took a big swing and at 18 and missed. I hate the what if game when it comes to drafting. Everyone looks like a genius when they go back in time. Hell Adam Fox went in the 3rd round that draft and is likely one of the best D men of his generation.

There is reasons guys get drafted where they get drafted. Good reasons. Debrincat is 5'8 and was like in the 5'7 150 pound range the draft same with Girad.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

It doesn't hurt replacing defensively questionable forwards like Wheeler and Dubois with guys who know what they're doing in the defensive zone like Vilardi, Iafalo, Niederreiter and Namestnikov.

Nieds and Names pushed out guys like Kuhlman, Maenalanen, Stenlund - guys with near-zero offense.

Reactions: Jack7222 and Jet

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I can't imagine paying Debrincat more money the Connor. He doesn't strike me as a guy that will "push" a team over the top. Don't get me wrong he will score but he just reminds me of guys like Gaudreau or Laine, just not worth it. Girad would have been much maligned here, a smallish offensive D man prone to defensive mistakes. We already have that in Pionk so whats the point.

They took a big swing and at 18 and missed. I hate the what if game when it comes to drafting. Everyone looks like a genius when they go back in time. Hell Adam Fox went in the 3rd round that draft and is likely one of the best D men of his generation.

There is reasons guys get drafted where they get drafted. Good reasons. Debrincat is 5'8 and was like in the 5'7 150 pound range the draft same with Girad.
It's likely that word was out on debrincat in the same way it was with fox... that they had one destination in mind.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The deal he retires or Winnipeg deems him replaceable will be a very say day for me. He is easily the best GM in Winnipeg Jets (NHL) history. He is one of the best GM's in the NHL, in my opinion, because of his track record of hitting on so many 1st rounders, re-signing so many stars in a challenging small market, and his ability to move on from stars via trade (Trouba, Kane, Copp, Dubois). All of those aspects he is well above average by NHL standards. He has great personnel working with him (coaches, scouts) which makes his job easier. Of course we all wish he would pull the trigger and move or acquire a player we want, however, none of us are privvy to the dynamics and challenges he faces in doing those transactions.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Brought my friend who moved here from Rio 6 months ago to the Canadiens game.
He liked the hockey, but he was shocked at the markup. "Even the Tim's is more expensive here? Is that legal???"

He also had a butter knife in his backpack and the old-timer manning the door made a big deal of it. "DOESN"T MATTER WHAT ITS FOR. NO KNIVES!"

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The deal he retires or Winnipeg deems him replaceable will be a very say day for me. He is easily the best GM in Winnipeg Jets (NHL) history. He is one of the best GM's in the NHL, in my opinion, because of his track record of hitting on so many 1st rounders, re-signing so many stars in a challenging small market, and his ability to move on from stars via trade (Trouba, Kane, Copp, Dubois). All of those aspects he is well above average by NHL standards. He has great personnel working with him (coaches, scouts) which makes his job easier. Of course we all wish he would pull the trigger and move or acquire a player we want, however, none of us are privvy to the dynamics and challenges he faces in doing those transactions.
That’s a nice post:thumbu:

Cotton Eye Joe

Oct 8, 2023
Agree. You can always use hindsight to draft better. That's why I use DeBrincat and Gerard in this discussion. We had amateur scouts on this board pushing for them. My own choices haven't panned out any better than Chevy's. :laugh: So I don't use them and I don't cherry pick Thompson. But both of those guys had resume's to back the arguments in favour of taking them. They were being passed over for the same reason Stanley was picked, size.
Who is Gerard?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad