In Chevy We Trust

Whileee

May 29, 2010
With the Jets' terrific run (17-6-2 after a 1-3 start), the Jets are in a very solid playoff position already.

95 points looks pretty safe in the West. Jets would only need to play 4 games above .500 the rest of the season, with one of the easiest schedules.

That gives Chevy flexibility to wait, even without Connor. He can accumulate cap space and wait for the buyers' trade market to open up before adding for a playoff run.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd say not supplying the team with 6 NHL Dmen for two seasons is his biggest boo boo and it wasn't a small one.
Drafting and developing is a strong point and he does well in trades. I liked how he didn't back down from Overcharge and let Trouba sit until they signed that 1 year deal. He's done well extending players.
We've made the playoffs 5 of the last 6 seasons as well and there are many teams wishing they could say that.

That wasn't a booboo at all. It was an issue. Quite different. He can't cook up Dmen in his lab in the bowels of his cabin at the lake.

Reactions: Moon Man

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If Laine hadn't asked to be traded, he'd still be here.
If PLD hadn't asked to be traded, he'd still be here.
If Kane hadn't asked to be traded...well he would've been gone long ago because he's an ass.

All credit to Chevy for making some good lemonade out of these situations, but if those guy never ask for trades...what line is this guy playing on? (Trick question - he's out with a broken clavicle).
1702840661316.png

Maybe a player asking to be traded out of Winnipeg is a sign that they're way overrated? :laugh:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He got the best that he could. You can't build a whole new D corps overnight.
The problem was that the best he could muster up were among the absolute worst defenders in the league. But things have generally been looking up defensively since Charlie Huddy got shitcanned...I dunno if he was influencing the types of players coming in (or whether Maurice preferred those pylon-type defenders), but the tide seems to have changed a bit.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The problem was that the best he could muster up were among the absolute worst defenders in the league. But things have generally been looking up defensively since Charlie Huddy got shitcanned...I dunno if he was influencing the types of players coming in (or whether Maurice preferred those pylon-type defenders), but the tide seems to have changed a bit.

Sure - but our weak D corps after losing the entire right side was not a booboo on Chevy's part. Which of our current top 6 F and top prospects should he have traded away to get RD?

Edit: Further ......
We lost Trouba, Buff and Myers. Chevy got a RHD, Pionk, in the return for Trouba. Halfway through the following season he picked up DeMelo. He wasn't exactly sitting on his hands. The Sbisas and Benns were not the only thing he was getting. That next off-season he took a swing and a miss on Schmidt. Then he picked up Dillon and Schmidt the off-season after that.

It was and is a slow process. I don't think he is finished yet. The only Dman on the team now who was here when Trouba and Buff were here is Morrissey. 4 of the others were acquired in trade. The rest were drafted. Jets are 3rd in the league in GA right now.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
If Kane hadn't asked to be traded...well he would've been gone long ago because he's an ass.

All credit to Chevy for making some good lemonade out of these situations, but if those guy never ask for trades...what line is this guy playing on? (Trick question - he's out with a broken clavicle).
View attachment 785249

Maybe a player asking to be traded out of Winnipeg is a sign that they're way overrated? :laugh:
It’s never healthy to creep on exes.
Chapter closed.
Don’t look back because that’s not the way we are going.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

View attachment 785249

We can all speculate and pass judgement on what we believe could of, should of and would of happened, but the only fair way to judge someone is on what actually happened.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Sure - but our weak D corps after losing the entire right side was not a booboo on Chevy's part. Which of our current top 6 F and top prospects should he have traded away to get RD?
Well we could've traded two 2nds for Devon Toews. John Marino for a 6th rounder. Christopher Tanev as a UFA. Add that to DeMelo (for a 3rd) and even Huddy couldn't f*** it up! :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Well we could've traded two 2nds for Devon Toews. John Marino for a 6th rounder. Christopher Tanev as a UFA. Add that to DeMelo (for a 3rd) and even Huddy couldn't f*** it up! :laugh:
Gmoney should be our gm, he has all the answers.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

View attachment 785249

Wow! A perfect 10/10 offense, just as PsychoDad predicted!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We can all speculate and pass judgement on what we believe could of, should of and would of happened, but the only fair way to judge someone is on what actually happened.
Has Chevy ever traded a roster player who wanted to be here? Armia maybe? And he wasn't a Top 6 core guy. So just one bottom 6 roster player in 13 seasons has been traded without asking for it or indicating he was unwilling to re-sign with the team. His track strongly suggests that Chevy would not have moved either Laine or Dubois if they'd wanted to stay.

Gmoney should be our gm, he has all the answers.
Why thanks, Adam, but I think Chevy's got a lifetime appointment no matter what happens on the ice.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He got the best that he could. You can't build a whole new D corps overnight.
We suffered for 2 seasons. That is not overnight.
Which of these are NHL caliber D men?
Boolow
Dahlstrom
Niku
Sbisa
Benn
Bitetto

Are you happy with our D corps this season?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Has Chevy ever traded a roster player who wanted to be here? Armia maybe? And he wasn't a Top 6 core guy. So just one bottom 6 roster player in 13 seasons has been traded without asking for it or indicating he was unwilling to re-sign with the team. His track strongly suggests that Chevy would not have moved either Laine or Dubois if they'd wanted to stay.

Why thanks, Adam, but I think Chevy's got a lifetime appointment no matter what happens on the ice.

I see we’ve gotten into the criticizing Chevy for scenarios in our imagination phase of the season for the anti-Chevy crowd…

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I guess I don't have your inside information? And since I don't I will just judge him on what he does and what I hope he ultimately achieves.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

View attachment 785249

Maybe a player asking to be traded out of Winnipeg is a sign that they're way overrated?:laugh:

Don't forget Roslovic who also forced his way out of the Jets only to top out as a middle-6 defensively suspect winger that the coaches don't trust to put out there.

Trouba has probably been the guy who has been the best out of all the guys who wanted out and even he hasn't lived up to his contract and is more of a 2nd pairing d-man with some nice snarl and physicality who has a caphit of a #1 D.

I suspect when all is said and done PLD will be similar to Trouba as well, he won't look as bad as he does now but will me more of a 1B/2nd line C who has a cap hit of a top line C.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Boolow
Dahlstrom
Niku
Sbisa
Benn
Bitetto

Yes we suffered for 2 seasons. No that is not overnight but fixing that mess in less than 2 seasons would have been overnight. You wanted it all done and tied up with a ribbon in one off-season.

It was a major problem. He has been working on it for the last 4+ years. He is getting there. It was not a booboo. It was something to work on.

If it was a booboo then precisely what was his mistake? Exactly who should he have acquired and how? At what cost?

Pionk is an NHL Dman. DeMelo is an NHL Dman. Dillon is an NHL Dman and even Schmidt has been good lately. You have a list of #7/8 Dmen. They were mostly our #7/8 Dmen.

Are you happy with our D corps this season? 3rd in the league in GA.

Reactions: Moon Man

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It was not a booboo. It was something to work on.

If it was a booboo then precisely what was his mistake? Exactly who should he have acquired and how? At what cost?

Pionk is an NHL Dman. DeMelo is an NHL Dman. Dillon is an NHL Dman and even Schmidt has been good lately. You have a list of #7/8 Dmen. They were mostly our #7/8 Dmen.

Are you happy with our D corps this season? 3rd in the league in GA.
Bitetto and Sbisa were not our 7th/8th D men.
He knew Trouba, Myers and Chiarot were leaving and waited a season on Buff. That is what I meant by a boo boo.
I am happy with our D corps. Been happy with is since Dilly and Schmidt arrived. I think Schmidt is way better than Stanley.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsFan815

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Boolow
Dahlstrom
Niku
Sbisa
Benn
Bitetto

I’ll add Poolman too Move the puck to a forward 100% of the time and Played like he did not an option to move the puck to a Defensive partner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad