In Chevy We Trust

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Those calling for Chevy to get fired ought to think that there’s a chance he gets replaced with the likes of a Benning, Nonis, Gillis or Chiarelli type which wouldn’t be better and very well could be worse!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Still not Chevy's fault, it's the fact our coaching staff is one huge mess since Maurice left.

Just hope the outcome of it all is that it gives management a huge shake into what they want. I think Alain Vigneault is our only option right now if I'm being honest.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Those calling for Chevy to get fired ought to think that there’s a chance he gets replaced with the likes of a Benning, Nonis, Gillis or Chiarelli type which wouldn’t be better and very well could be worse!
Don’t overlook Zinger. That is a total TSNE move

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
why would people think that? unless they are looking for the worst case scenario just so they have more to complain about

Reactions: Klondiker98

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Still not Chevy's fault, it's the fact our coaching staff is one huge mess since Maurice left.

Just hope the outcome of it all is that it gives management a huge shake into what they want. I think Alain Vigneault is our only option right now if I'm being honest.

I think some of it is Chevy's fault. He blocked the path for any young defenseman to make the team until injury hit. By investing so much in defense, he completely ignored that his RW position has lost Armia, Tanev, Laine, Roslovic, Appleton in 4 years, and not one has been replaced. With Wheeler starting to fade as well, it's amazing how little depth there is behind him. He's put a heavier load on Hellebuyck by not investing in goaltending.

And this is where we are.

I would like Vigneault as a coach.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Just some issues. I'm not saying you're wrong with these points, BUT:

A Wheeler trade is very unlikely, unless he requests it. A Wheeler buyout also doesn't really make a ton of sense cap wise.

Dubois is 2 or 3 years away from being a UFA. Does he want to commit long term to a team that's likely taking a step back for a year or two? Will Copp re-sign to the same situation?

You're getting future pieces for Scheifele most likely.

Defensive genius coaches are rarely available.

Personalities aren't necessarily good players. Thorburn was a personality. Not a great player.

At the current showing, 1/2 season gone and a supposed very positive upgrade on the back-end (in Dillon & Schmidt) and we're on a losing streak with lots of goals against per game lately. HUDDY has to go!!!
Useless coaching system only getting worse, for today's game. Status quo and this team is sunk. Sinking steadily soon to be overtaken by Chicago and the " basement is only a couple steps away! Wow. What a wasted opportunity time-line of a supposedly top core and "star players". Could be joining les Habs in the Depression Chamber of bottom feeders in another month of "the same" results. Would be nice to see Helle save the 1st 20 shots on him in a game, finally. This fragile, tentative, vulnerable to mistakes/ turnovers roster cannot get it done coming from behind anymore.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Well, that's on Chipman then.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd like to see the Jets hire Maurice back as the GM at the end of this season. I think Paul Maurice is a quality person. He's stayed out of the spotlight while this team has disintegrated. What I respect the most about him is the way he treates people, his ability to create men and leaders of his players. It goes back to Ron Francis, and Rod Brind'Amour, and carried on with Blake Wheeler. And I think this organization needs someone like him to have a good culture. I think a lot of players would be able to go up to his office while they are here, and come out better for it. In a way I hope he could be our Bryan Murray, someone who brings respectability to our organization. And though it is more seldom that coaches become GMs in this era, I think he'd be a good GM, if he had the right people around him. I think our scouting departnment is strong. But a new coach and a new system, while keeping Maurice around to make the players want to play here would be something I would consider.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I'd like to see the Jets hire Maurice back as the GM at the end of this season. I think Paul Maurice is a quality person. He's stayed out of the spotlight while this team has disintegrated. What I respect the most about him is the way he treates people, his ability to create men and leaders of his players. It goes back to Ron Francis, and Rod Brind'Amour, and carried on with Blake Wheeler. And I think this organization needs someone like him to have a good culture. I think a lot of players would be able to go up to his office while they are here, and come out better for it. In a way I hope he could be our Bryan Murray, someone who brings respectability to our organization. And though it is more seldom that coaches become GMs in this era, I think he'd be a good GM, if he had the right people around him. I think our scouting departnment is strong. But a new coach and a new system, while keeping Maurice around to make the players want to play here would be something I would consider.
that's a horrible idea..

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
that's a horrible idea..

It wouldn't be my first. I don't know who would be a good GM candidate. Making Winnipeg a place to play professional hockey, with no fans, and more taxes than most places, isn't exactly an easy sell. Maurice is a big reason why some players liked playing here. Chevy dodged a bullet earlier in the year, but if this team misses the playoffs he should be held accountable. This is the biggest investment True North has made in payroll.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Do the Jets even have a GM? Other than coming out of his cave to deny his involvement in the Chicago assault fiasco, when's the last time anyone saw or heard from Chevy?

Well, he did pop out that one time to say:

"I didnt have the balls to fire Paul. So I asked him to decide to retire, and I will still pay him as a coach. But because I am still paying him, I dont have any money for a coach with NHL experience, so Dave will have to do it for now. Besides, because I didnt have the balls to do my job, good NHL coaching options are no longer available right now"

When asked if this is a playoff team, he thoughtfully replied,

"How the hell should I know, I am just the GM. Maybe they are, maybe they arent. It depends on how good they are and how hard they try, I guess. Whatever they want"

These are not actual quotes, but it's what his words meant.

Last edited:

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Well, he did pop out that one time to say:

"I didnt have the balls to fire Paul. So I asked him to decide to retire, and I will still pay him as a coach. But because I am still paying him, I dont have any money for a coach with NHL experience, so Dave will have to do it for now. Besides, because I didnt have the balls to do my job, good NHL coaching options are no longer available right now"

When asked if this is a playoff team, he thoughtfully replied,

"How the hell should I know, I am just the GM. Maybe they are, maybe they arent. It depends on how good they are and how hard they try, I guess. Whatever they want"

These are not actual quotes, but it's what his words meant.
:laugh:

I want to see your translations as subtitles during press conferences... It would be so much more interesting!

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Do the Jets even have a GM? Other than coming out of his cave to deny his involvement in the Chicago assault fiasco, when's the last time anyone saw or heard from Chevy?

I was just thinking about this.

We know that after firing — erm, accepting Maurice’s paid resignation — we heard that he forcefully challenged the team to look in the mirror, etc., and take some of the responsibility for the slide on themselves and help turn the ship around, etc. Have they?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

What would you like him to come out and say? GMs across the league are rarely seen or heard from.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I think some of it is Chevy's fault. He blocked the path for any young defenseman to make the team until injury hit. By investing so much in defense, he completely ignored that his RW position has lost Armia, Tanev, Laine, Roslovic, Appleton in 4 years, and not one has been replaced. With Wheeler starting to fade as well, it's amazing how little depth there is behind him. He's put a heavier load on Hellebuyck by not investing in goaltending.

And this is where we are.

I would like Vigneault as a coach.
We could do worse than Vigneault so I'd give him a go. And he dresses well.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

None

Feb 22, 2012
Chevy usually does a midseason media availability but I think it's usually tied to the trade deadline and that's in the 3rd week of March this season.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I don't think that Chevy and Chipman were looking at Lowry as a long term solution. I believe that teams, like individuals need a shock to the system in order to make meaningful change. There is still too much familiarity within this group.

Reactions: hockeyarena

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Wasn't sure exactly which thread this belonged in so I decided to put it here:

I "watched" last night's game, although I dedicated maybe 25% of my attention to it while doing/accomplishing other things. What I did see, was ugly. Team completely quit again. This season is in the toilet now as far as I'm concerned, so I guess this is how I would do things going forward.

-Sell Copp at the deadline. This is a no brainer. You should be able to get a late first for him. Perhaps something similar to what we paid for Hayes? 1st from a contender and a decent young guy?

-Sell Stastny too. I like Stastny's smarts and his leadership on this team, but I think if you can get a 2nd round pick for a 36-year-old in a lost season, you do it. Stas would have value to a contender, and it gives him a shot to chase the Cup. The 2nd helps recoup what we paid for Dillon.

-If a team offers a 7th for Beaulieu, you take it and run. Otherwise, just let him ride out the season and leave in free agency.

Those are the immediate things I'd do. I'd try to use the rest of the season to audition more of our youth. I was really impressed by Chisholm and would like to see him get into some more games down the stretch. We need to see what we have with our defencemen because with Morrissey, Samberg, Heinola, Stanley and now Chisholm on the left side, plus Pionk, DeMelo, Schmidt, Dillon ... there isn't room for everyone. I think one of our D prospects will get traded. Maybe that's Heinola - he likely commands the most in a trade. Maybe that's Stanley - someone might overvalue him. I'd hang onto Morrissey, Samberg, Chisholm, and one of Stanley/Heinola, and then on the right side DeMelo and Pionk, and then one of Schmidt/Dillon. Schmidt might be harder to move honestly with his contract. Dillon, I'm not sure. You could probably recoup one of the 2nds you spent on him by flipping him at the draft.

Go into next year with a D core of:

Morrissey
Pionk
Samberg
DeMelo
Chisholm
Stanley/Heinola
Schmidt/Dillon

Clean house with the coaching staff at the end of the year. I don't see a reason to retain anyone. Bring in a new voice and let him get his own assistants here. Team needs a culture change and I think they'll try that before blowing it up. Use your higher pick at the draft and grab another nice prospect with the Copp pick.

Extend PLD. Wheeler/Scheif I don't trade yet. Wheeler you likely aren't able to trade anyway. I think you have Gus and Nathan Smith full time next year and you take one last run with this core. If it doesn't work out than I would seriously consider moving Scheif next offseason. He'll only have one-year left in his deal but as a full-season rental you could get something good for him. I'm not sure the organization moves Wheeler at that point unless he wants to go, but you can retain him 50% for the final year of his contract and as long as he's still a 50ish point player and PP-producer he would have value to a contender at that price.

I'm not sure the answers with this team. Something is wrong with them, but this is how I would approach it.

Thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad