Impasse possibly declared on April 20th!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Roots73 said:
I'd rather pay 30 bucks to see players who want to play rather than pay 80 bucks to see Bobby Holik and Jammy Jagr float around (aka. overpaid sacks of guts).
:)

And what makes you think your team is going to cut your ticket prices by over 50%? Your $80 ticket will drop ?to maybe $68 for a season of scabs. Still willing to pay? I know I'm not.

blamebettman*

yea, 30 bucks. you're dreaming. for the owners to make money, they'll expect you to ante up at least 45-50 to sit in halfway decent seats just to watch scabs. Don't expect such a dramatic cut in ticket prices.

anything near the glass will still cost you 70+

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
nyr7andcounting said:
I don't know about that. The owners don't have a great case in court to begin with so why stop negotiating so soon in order to try an impasse? That meeting could be for a number of things and it seems like the writer was just guessing what it was. It could also be because Bettman feels they will be able to make a deal in the next month and is setting a date to pressure both sides. He could set that meeting with intentions of walking in with a CBA and taking a vote on it.

On top of that, why would Bettman come out and say they will leave linkage out of negotiations until June 1 if he only intended to negotiate until late April? Doesn't make much sense.
Stop negotiating so soon? They've been negotiating too long already. What should they drag it on forever? If they are going to go the impasse route, there is no reason to really wait until the last minute to do it.

SENSible1*

Weary said:
Franchise values are set in the open market. Shouldn't players' incomes also be?
Remind me what are players making in Europe?

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
Weary said:
Franchise values are set in the open market. Shouldn't players' incomes also be?

Sure...just head on over to Russia and Europe and find out what that market will bear. There are plenty of other places to find out.

Be our guest and don't let the door hit you all on the a$$ on the way out.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
Icey said:
And what makes you think your team is going to cut your ticket prices by over 50%? Your $80 ticket will drop ?to maybe $68 for a season of scabs. Still willing to pay? I know I'm not.

I'd rather pay $80 to watch players who want to play.

WHARF1940

Jan 2, 2005
down in a hole
txomisc said:
Stop negotiating so soon? They've been negotiating too long already. What should they drag it on forever? If they are going to go the impasse route, there is no reason to really wait until the last minute to do it.

They started negotiating? When and where did this take place?!!!!!!!

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
It's not the name on the back of the jersey the fan cheers for...it's the laundry.

I think that the players are really in for one hell of a rude awakening come october and replacements are wearing their laundry.....Can you say buh bye Bob Goodenow. I can't wait.... it will be better than overtime game 7 as the SH** hits the fan !! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!! :yo:

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I dunno if its been said already.. But..

This is leaked a day before the meeting? :lol

The NHL isnt putting much thought into these tactical moves.

SPARTAKUS*

The NHL has no choice but declare impasse. The NHLPA unfortunately is not interested in finding a solution to this mess. The fact of the matter is that the only way this thing get resolve is by the NHL opening up for business next september.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
OTTSENS said:
The NHL has no choice but declare impasse. The NHLPA unfortunately is not interested in finding a solution to this mess. The fact of the matter is that the only way this thing get resolve is by the NHL opening up for business next september.

And NHL has done a whole lot more havnt they? NHLPA agreed to cap...NHL agreed to linkage...thats the most both have went.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
FLYLine4LIFE said:
You mean..one thing for sure..there will be a lot of empty building and crappy players skating around in NHL jerseys come October. :shakehead

maybe in New York but I for one can't wait to see my Oilers on the ice compting for the Stanley Cup...in time the players will return...they won't stay in Europe forever

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Icey said:

because the owners want to win the fans back that's why. Owners know the fans aren't stupid and the only way we're gonna watch replacements is with reduced prices

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
e-townchamps said:
because the owners want to win the fans back that's why. Owners know the fans aren't stupid and the only way we're gonna watch replacements is with reduced prices

Apparently some on this board are.

X0ssbar

R0CKET said:
Sure...just head on over to Russia and Europe and find out what that market will bear. There are plenty of other places to find out.

Be our guest and don't let the door hit you all on the a$$ on the way out.

..or as I like to say - don't let the door hit ya where mother nature split ya! :D

SPARTAKUS*

Top Shelf said:
..or as I like to say - don't let the door hit ya where mother nature split ya! :D

Hey that's pretty funny stuff TS. That's great.

chiavsfan

Again, people are reading too much into SPECULATION. The write of this article has one of those famous "UNNAMED NHL EXECUTIVES" oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Remember, all these "unnamed sources" have been wrong 99.999999% of the time.

Nowhere in this article does it say that an owner, or Gary Bettman confirm the BOG meeting is to declare impasse, that is just the feeling of the writer. I think there ar 2 people on this board who made that clear, but everyone else just seems to skip over the truth, and focus on what they THINK they know

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
me2 said:
1. The players/NHLPA don't run an open market. Why should they be able to claim open market immunity.

2. What is the open market price for a hockey player this year? Its a long, long, long way short of the what the NHL is offering. Perhaps the NHL should lower its offer to match the European wages.

You continue to confuse money as the only factor as how "free market" is defined. It is quite obvious you have a one track mind like an owner. Until you realize that money isn't the only issue, you will appear to have a paper bag stuck over your head. Free agency is as big an issue as any, but it seems most fans think over paid hockey players aren't entitled to the same right as the working public. As Tiger Williams said, " Until these (30) owners can agree among themselves how to run the NHL and what they (owners) want", how do you expect to get a CBA done. I would suggest the owners should meet 1st, and come up with a plan on how they all, collectively will run their budgets. I would bet my bottom dollar, that even if the NHLPA agrred to the Cap Bettman wanted, there would owners who would find a way to undermine the Cap/Linkage system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad