Impact of Clarkson's return

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
But our team problems of being out shot and having little puck possession haven't shown improvement since his return. :dunno:

The last page or two reeks of fans trying desperately to find a silver lining in his humiliating contract.

Im guessing you haven't watched tonight's game, or you didn't understand what you watched. It would be nigh impossible for an educated hockey fan to say that the team didnt play better with clarkson.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Im guessing you haven't watched tonight's game, or you didn't understand what you watched. It would be nigh impossible for an educated hockey fan to say that the team didnt play better with clarkson.
Exactly anyone that has played or knows anything about team chemistry knows exactly what Clarkson brings

Disgruntled Observer*

lol
Does that include Fridays loss to Columbus?

I'd say that since Clarkson's return, the leafs played a little lousier than usual one game, and a little better than usual the next.
And I think in regards to both games, it had very little to do with one overpaid 3rd line player who's "good on the boards".

It's so ridiculous.
The leafs are 7 and 3 without Clarkson even in the lineup... and now that the leafs win a game with him in the lineup, it's because Clarkson "changed the culture of the team".
Only in leafland...

Come on guys... I know you're all literally humiliated to tears over Clarkson's psychotic contract... but let's try to look a little less desperate as we claw at ways to try and rationalize it.

Mar 26, 2010
lol

I'd say that since Clarkson's return, the leafs played a little lousier than usual one game, and a little better than usual the next.
And I think in regards to both games, it had very little to do with one overpaid 3rd line player who's "good on the boards".

It's so ridiculous.
The leafs are 7 and 3 without Clarkson even in the lineup... and now that the leafs win a game with him in the lineup, it's because Clarkson "changed the culture of the team".
Only in leafland...

Come on guys... I know you're all literally humiliated to tears over Clarkson's psychotic contract... but let's try to look a little less desperate as we claw at ways to try and rationalize it.
Very good post.

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
lol

It's so ridiculous.
Only in leafland...

It's early to say how big of an affect Clarkson will have on this team, but as far as Friday night's loss to Columbus goes, Clarksy's line was our best. Aggressive on the puck, aggressive on the opposition, and a strong and effective forecheck. I think that's the kind of impact Clarkson will have on our team.

Disgruntled Observer*

It's early to say how big of an affect Clarkson will have on this team, but as far as Friday night's loss to Columbus goes, Clarksy's line was our best. Aggressive on the puck, aggressive on the opposition, and a strong and effective forecheck. I think that's the kind of impact Clarkson will have on our team.

When Clarkson's out of the lineup, it's pretty much an AHL player that get's called up. Is Clarkson better than the AHL call ups?
Unquestionably.
So yes, now that the money the leafs invested in that position is tied up on Clarkson, the leafs are of course better with Clarkson in the lineup than without.

But the question for me is...
Does Clarkson improve the team enough these next couple of years to offset how big of a burden his contract will be in his final 3 or 4 seasons?

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
When Clarkson's out of the lineup, it's pretty much an AHL player that get's called up. Is Clarkson better than the AHL call ups?
Unquestionably.
So yes, now that the money the leafs invested in that position is tied up on Clarkson, the leafs are of course better with Clarkson in the lineup than without.

But the question for me is...
Does Clarkson improve the team enough these next couple of years to offset how big of a burden his contract will be in his final 3 or 4 seasons?

You really expect an answer for that question right now, though?

Like I said, it's too early to tell how big of an impact he'll have on the team. But he brings something that we clearly lack otherwise.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
lol

It's so ridiculous.
Only in leafland...

I am with you, the contracts terrible. I think he is a punishing player though, I mean, we could have picked up more talent for money and brought back Komarov to bruise ribs, always nice to see a player lock all their muscles when impacting an opponent ala human cannon ball. That's where you win down the stretch beating the physical will out of a body.

Tyler Biggs*

I thought the third period was the Leafs at their best. On the puck, good forecheck, good passing and composed. Hab fans, tell me how Clarkson isn't making a difference so far, I need a good laugh.

Clarkson just shut down the best player in the world, and his buddy Malkin. Still wondering what that $5M a year was spent for?

Thank you Clarkson for helping the Leafs find their identity. This is the team I remember.

If the Leafs keep playing games like this, there's no reason they can't win the Division title.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mapleleafs Fan*

"I think when the coach puts you out there to do a job, and he wanted us to shut down that line, you have to take whatever direction the coach wants you to play. You have to take it to heart and that is your job for that night. I thought as a team we did a lot of good things." - Clarkson

This is why we paid big buck to him. Hard worker should earn the same the effort he puts in for team. Well said Clarkson.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Positive, for sure.

He's basically a Nikolai Kulemin replacement, and that comparison actually runs pretty deep.

Having both of them on the team will improve our possession and defensive game tremendously over the team without the two.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think his impact has been what you expected. Someone playing hard, getting involved in stirring up the opposition, and able to control the play along the boards and help give us a much needed cycle game.

Unlike with other guys I'm going to just try to focus on what he's doing out there. The salary issue has really impacted enjoyment of the team and specific players. He's paid what's he's getting paid. Only thing that matters is him giving his all every shift and making this team better than when he wasn't in the lineup.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Positive, for sure.

He's basically a Nikolai Kulemin replacement, and that comparison actually runs pretty deep.

Having both of them on the team will improve our possession and defensive game tremendously over the team without the two.

I think he forechecks far more aggressively than Kulie, I'd say we haven't had a player do it that well since Roberts. Also his physicality will be huge in bringing back the edge that we had last year.

Tyler Biggs*

Clarkson's debut in his hometown of Toronto last night and I was not disappointed! Great game!

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
He gives the lineup much more of an edge...Once Kulemin and Fraser come back I think we'll get back to the smashmouth brand of hockey from last year.

Mapleleafs Fan*

He's been pretty invisible so far

His presence has been very visible all around. In offensive zone or in our own zone he has done what he has been expected for. He is carrying the puck which whole team struggled to do in first 10 games. In 2 games he has made quite an impact on the team.

Penalty Kill Icing*

He's been pretty invisible so far

His game on Saturday was huge part of Leafs returning to their identity of hitting team Saturday. Offensive contribution will come. He is providing the element we were missing. I am not disappointed.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
The scoring will come soon enough. He's being eased back in right now but it's only a matter of time before he gets some PP points and more time in the top six.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Our cycle game has been noticably better with him in the line up. Changes the dynamic of the team. Kulemin and Lupul returning will be massive on that front as well.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
some u guys dont no crap bout hockey or just want attention, u literally notice this guy every shift...always moving, looking for body, finish checks, goes hard into boards and corners, always looking to get infront of net...love what im seeing so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad