Impact of Clarkson's return

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Now that Clarkson's suspension has reached past the half way point, we should be expecting him in the lineup within the next 4 games. The team currently is 5-1, not playing perfectly obviously but getting the job done and always with a chance to win. Assuming that at the end of his suspension we are 9-1, 8-2, 7-3, how do you think his return in the lineup will affect the Leafs?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
For the amount of money we are paying him, it better be ****ing positive.

Hopefully this 10-game suspension has taken the Mike Komisarek out of him, and he can just come back and play his game and not worry about doing too much and getting himself into trouble as a result.

I have no idea what to expect offensively from this guy, but he will help along the boards and in theory, should help improve our puck possession stats.

leafstilldeath*

For the amount of money we are paying him, it better be ****ing positive.

Hopefully this 10-game suspension has taken the Mike Komisarek out of him, and he can just come back and play his game and not worry about doing too much and getting himself into trouble as a result.

I have no idea what to expect offensively from this guy, but he will help along the boards and in theory, should help improve our puck possession stats.

hahaha was about to post just that lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seems like between the Game Seven collapse and the pre-season shenanigans the Leafs have built up some impressive team chemistry and cohesion despite a fairly big roster turnover (Bernier, Bolland Clarkson, Raymond, Rielly, Ranger). I think Clarkson will have a positive effect.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well we should have an Ottawa dip where guys stop playing hard just because a guy comes back into the lineup. Mostly thanks to the fact that this will be his regular season debut for the Leafs. So it should be a net positive long as he can get out there and play his game.

DaveT83*

Clarkson
And Kulie

Will be two huge additions defensively. If they can pot a few goals - bonus

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
Seems like between the Game Seven collapse and the pre-season shenanigans the Leafs have built up some impressive team chemistry and cohesion despite a fairly big roster turnover (Bernier, Bolland Clarkson, Raymond, Rielly, Ranger). I think Clarkson will have a positive effect.

I remember Phaneuf's first shift as a Leaf. He laid out a big hit and fought a Devils player, and then the crowd went crazy.

I have a feeling Clarkson will be doing the same thing. I can't wait to see this guy play.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Clarkson is far from being considered a "defensive" player

Yeah, he's about average defensively. I would say that his game will help us score more dirty goals around the net and our possession game because of his strength along the boards.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
He seems like a big upgrade on Broll on the Kadri-Lupul line. Better finisher around the net

This is my thinking as well. As long as he plays his role properly. In order for lupul and kadri to continue tohave success they need to have the puck on their stick. I think he could almost have a negative impact if he tries to come in and be a superstar.

Mr Scarface*

Voted for the first time here I think. Because I think it'll be real strong and positive minded. Energy is the word I'm emphesizing here.

Clarkson will bring that for surely. Sorry for the mistakes I'm a bit drunk at the moment. Only like medium cause the lady is cooking.. we'll see.
Clarkson is the big man and we are the hardest team with carlyle.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I don't see us losing that often when Clarkson and Kulemin come back. That's almost 400+ hits combined over a 82 game season. Depth will be too strong for most of these weak East teams to handle over a span of 60 minutes.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
well, Clarkson's been practising with the team, so I'm sure there's some chem-brewing.
I would see it more as of a trade - if that makes sense. we had the team, and them boom. new guy comes in (that just happened to be there all along). sort of like Lupul last season

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
He should improve team intensity, and will hopefully have chemistry with whatever linemates he ends up with (probably Kadri/Lupul, but I would prefer he be on Bolland's line.)

However, he doesn't address the main issue we've seen lately, which is sloppy play.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
He's going to improve puck possession quite a bit and add toughness to the top 6. He should benefit Kadri and Lupul nicely with his beastly board work.

Only real concern for me is his skating, our entire top six features pretty good skaters, all guys who can maneuver themselves quite well, he'll be the weak link in that regard.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
Assuming he plays with Kadri/Lupul, Clarkson should bring some much needed net presence to that line. Similar to what JVR brings to the first line. He'll also help the forecheck and cycle game, doing most of the dirty work along the boards.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
is going to bring so much energy that we've been desperately lacking in the first two periods of almost every game

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
An established NHL 30-goal scorer entering the lineup, replacing a young prospect who could benefit from more seasoning in the AHL....It better be a positive. This isnt to say that I expect goals fast and furious from Clarkson, but dumping and cycling, solid work along the boards, wreaking havoc around the net and tipping in the goals will make him well worth his 5.2 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad