Impact of Clarkson's return

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I don't drink 21 year old scotch, but I'm really liking what I've seen from Clarkson so far. Board play has been a weakness of ours since Mats.

Tyler Biggs*

Guys get less games for trying to behead other players then Clarkson did for leaving the bench. What kind of backwards nonsense is this...

Do you think the league needs to look at it's policy of an automatic 10 game suspension for leaving the bench? Maybe reduce it to 5? Because now we will see Scott probably get 5-10 for that absolutely brutal head shot that put a guy in hospital and he may not even play again this year. Scott could have a shorter suspension than Clarkson. It just doesn't add up.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
I dont always drink 21yr old scotch, but when I do.. I puke. Its been one penalty, reserve judgement for when its due. At the end of season you can drink scotch and declare youre supreme camocho

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I thought he was very good tonight. Poor team effort, but he looked very good.

Hope to see more of the same going forward.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Clarkson won't be an addition at all defensively. That's definitely the weakest part of his game.

Think if our opponents have proven anything its that if you can spend a huge shift in the other zone cycling the puck that makes it pretty tough for them to score on you. He won't make a big difference when the puck is in our zone, but he's proving to be a huge asset keeping it in the other side.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I think he played pretty well for his first game of the season. I see more potential in him then just a 3rd line goon/grinder. He could be developed into a Lucic lite type player

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Having legit NHL players like Bolland, Clarkson and Raymond has been a treat to watch.
nice to watch some good all around hockey players

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Clarkson is a gem. The guy adds an element sorely missing in the Leafs lineup. You could tell he's an A+ locker-room guy and he does really well on the possession side of the game. He's not slow or lacking in hockey IQ as Devils fans would like us to believe. He won't be a 30+ goal guy but he'll make all the simple and necessary plays needed to win games as well as run his mouth and keep the other team in check.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
He plays like one of those of those guys from the other teams that check the **** out of us and we wonder how we had 15 shots and lost, or occasionally won the game. In the possession game that is the modern nhl it is no wonder that he cost so much in free agency. I guess today's GMs do pay attention to possession whether they believe in corsi or not.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
WOOOoo Boy. hes exactly what we were lacking the last couple games. This is a player you go to war with.

Fisticuffs

Oct 25, 2013
Brampton
Board works comes as advertised, but what really surprised me was his speed. His acceleration was not what others made it to be. When they interviewed Barb Underhill she mentioned Clarkson was an excellent skater, which caught me off guard. But on a couple backchecks, he caught up quickly and didn't seem slow or lethargic

Disgruntled Observer*

He plays like one of those of those guys from the other teams that check the **** out of us and we wonder how we had 15 shots and lost, or occasionally won the game. In the possession game that is the modern nhl it is no wonder that he cost so much in free agency. I guess today's GMs do pay attention to possession whether they believe in corsi or not.

But our team problems of being out shot and having little puck possession haven't shown improvement since his return. :dunno:

The last page or two reeks of fans trying desperately to find a silver lining in his humiliating contract.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Agreed on the skating. Didn't think he was this fast. Looks like he worked hard during his suspension. Offense remains to be seen, and it'll always be a focus because of the contract, but the other elements are SOLID.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad