NBA Ime Udoka facing lengthy suspension for consensual affair with a staff member

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Besides the blatant whataboutism, Buss would be Jacksons boss in this case & maybe the Lakers didn't have a policy regarding employees being together. Boston does.

Looks like its an in house thing for Boston. Goes against their code of conduct.
well it doesn't appear that udoka was having a relationship with a team employee anyways

seems like he was having one with the wife of a team employee. pretty big difference

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think it's so much the cheating part. I'm not saying cheating is a good thing, but it's a relatively common thing that happens in day to day life.

It's the fact he banged a coworker, likely someone lower level than him. Consensual or not, workplaces generally don't want to mess with the potential headaches that could come from that. Power imbalances, potential conflicts, etc. If this wasn't a pro sports team, Ime was already likely fired yesterday. Or if it's the wife of a team employee as well.

If he does this with some random civilian with no ties to the org it's a non-story.

Sep 19, 2008
Phil Jackson was not the boss of the Lakers when he was seeing Jeanie

But yeah this doesn't look very good for this guy. What a shame.

Sep 19, 2008
I try to be very tolerant and understanding but there's no way you could just call this stupid

with the way the power dynamics go in sports you can't have relationships with subordinates in the sports world...OR even the NBA world. There was a story a few weeks ago about a high profile company figure, I forget which, got ensnared in a consensual relationship with a subordinate. It was all over the news.

This is what everyone watches in those online sexual harassment seminars most companies make you watch every year :laugh:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the comparison to phil and jeanie is ridiculous to begin with

neither of them were engaged to other people when they began dating and the lakers clearly didn't have any sort of rule prohibiting relationships among coworkers. phil wasn't sleeping with a team employee's wife either like udoka is alleged to have done

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Phil Jackson was not the boss of the Lakers when he was seeing Jeanie

But yeah this doesn't look very good for this guy. What a shame.

and Udoka isn't the boss of the Celtics.

Phil Jackson was the coach, and Buss was the Executive VP of the team. It's literally the same situation, the coach "fraternizing" with another team employee

Sep 19, 2008
and Udoka isn't the boss of the Celtics.

Phil Jackson was the coach, and Buss was the Executive VP of the team. It's literally the same situation, the coach "fraternizing" with another team employee
Phil wasn't Jeannie's Boss

in fact it could be argued it was the other way around

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
the comparison to phil and jeanie is ridiculous to begin with

neither of them were engaged to other people when they began dating and the lakers clearly didn't have any sort of rule prohibiting relationships among coworkers. phil wasn't sleeping with a team employee's wife either like udoka is alleged to have done

Yeah, Phil wasn't engaged, he was married.

Phil wasn't Jeannie's Boss

in fact it could be argued it was the other way around

and there's no guarantee Udoka was her boss. The coach is only the "boss" of a small segment of a basketball franchise

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Yeah, Phil wasn't engaged, he was married.

and there's no guarantee Udoka was her boss. The coach is only the "boss" of a small segment of a basketball franchise
phil was separated from his wife when he began dating jeanie

and either way, he wasn't breaking any team rule by dating her, nor was he having an affair with a team employee's wife

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I love how salty Celts fan immediately try to make this seem like a nothing burger by bringing up Phil Jackson & Jeanie. At least come with better material.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I love how salty Celts fan immediately try to make this seem like a nothing burger by bringing up Phil Jackson & Jeanie. At least come with better material.
the Celtic fanbase are still waiting for official comment from either Stevens or the ownership...... or both

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Married or not, there’s still cheating involved. Thus, making it a scandal. There was no scandal with Jackson dating Buss. The divorce was in the process by the time they started dating. Stop playing whataboutism.
Also was 20 years ago. Let's get with the times.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If this involves the wife of another executive he's gonzo. The relative silence is just to make sure everything is in order legally. There's no way for him to come back from this.

Reactions: Terry Yake
Sep 19, 2008
With Durant saga over there has to be a new circus in town of NBA.
The NBA always prioritizes offseason and off court drama over the actual game. One reason I can't stand this league!

I'm at the bar and this and Ben Simmons are all espn is talking about.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

I like the people bringing up Brett Favre, Robert Sarver and race. They aren't related at all and Favre hasn't played in 12 years anyway, no one really cares about him anymore. Udoka is the head coach of a team that just played in the Finals and this is coming from the Celtics organization not Silver/the league.

If this was some random women at a bar and not a subordinate (and the Celtics didn't have this rule in place) then it's not even a story.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t know that the Phil Jackson stuff is the same if not for the wording of Udoka’s transgressions are explicitly against the code of conduct to the Celtics is organization.

Phil Jackson was working for the Lakers. He never worked for the Celtics.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I don’t know that the Phil Jackson stuff is the same if not for the wording of Udoka’s transgressions are explicitly against the code of conduct to the Celtics is organization.

Phil Jackson was working for the Lakers. He never worked for the Celtics.
And people also need to realize the stuff you'll find in an employee handbook or code of conduct or maybe even in a coach's contract today post #metoo is going to be quite a bit different than what was there 20 years ago. This whataboutism doesn't work to absolve Udoka.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
not to mention that the lakers were well aware of phil and jeanie's relationship from the beginning

don't think the celtics were aware that udoka was sleeping with female staffers and the wives of coworkers

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Didn't Jackson/Buss also inform HR of the relationship? I thought I recalled that being something from one of those Laker documentaries

And as pointed out power dynamics and situation are not same

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3