Speculation: iMac: Canucks will be "aggressive" on July 1st with regards to second-tier FAs

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
12 forwards under contract for next year already. But likely spooner and Schaller get bought out or demoted to the A.

Still have rfa in Brock, Leivo, Motte to sign. Maybe Granlund as well. Would push them back to 13/14 forward contracts.

If Aquaman was ticked about burying Gagner last year he’d have to be ticked about basically buying the Gagner deal out whichnis what Spooner represents. Add in 1 year of Schaller. Plus retention on Sutter if they do move him. Keep shelling out the money along with front loading the Eriksson deal up to $27 million come July 1 for 3 years.

After all this he’s still willing to hand Benning the check book?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
If one were smart, one would use the Canucks as leverage. Knowing that the clown show will overpay in term and money, why not tell the clown show that you’ll entertain signing with them...and use that offer to drive up the offer from the real team with legit management that you really want to sign with?

I expect to hear soon that Panarin, Karlsson, Etc are all VERY interested in the Canucks.
The other way that any UFA can use the Canucks in negotiations for term is too easy after last summer. "If you gave a career 4th liner in Beagle, who was going to turn 33 by the start of the season to a 4 year deal, why are you only offering me a 3 year one? I need at least a 4 year deal with a full NMC with a ton in signing bonuses because of the potential lockout".

July 1st:
The Vancouver Canucks are proud to announce we have signed Tyler Myers to a 7MX6 deal and Wayne Simmonds to a 6MX6 deal. :help:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Jim Benning shopping spree,but will end up with dollar store items. He will add more garbage to the pile he has already collected.
Dollar store items? Not if you pay $10 for them.

giphy.gif

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Id be surprised if Simmonds gets 40 pts ever again.

If we sign him I'm not giving a single dollar to the Canucks next year.

Try for the big fish which you wont get and then look at the underrated players that you actually have a chance at signing

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
Bah. MacIntyre is just riffing. "If you can get a player who helps you at 5 million, you do it." Really? Cool cool.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I'd rather have Lee over Panarin, would be cheaper and I think he'd be a better fit going forward.

Defense, would love Karlsson on a short contract but that's not happening. Myers would be nice to add a decent skater and size.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
You all falling for clickbait again and driving up your blood pressure for no reason.

Just chill

Have we seen ANY reason to expect otherwise and have ANY confidence in Jim Benning on July 1st given the last 5 years?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I'd rather have Lee over Panarin, would be cheaper and I think he'd be a better fit going forward.

Defense, would love Karlsson on a short contract but that's not happening. Myers would be nice to add a decent skater and size.
Max 4 year deal on Lee- he will be 29 at the start of next season. But I agree he would be a really good fit on EP and Brocks LW. Size, leadership and production but the term will be the problem. Myers I'm open to if it's max 3 year deal without a NMC (NTC ok).

Reactions: canadianmagpie

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm OK with the Canucks taking a wild swing at Karlsson if he makes it to free agency.

Other than that, I'd be content to chase a secondary scoring target like Jordan Eberle, or perhaps Brett Connolly.

I would avoid players like Simmonds (which should be absolutely abundantly obvious), and Myers (decent player, but is going to get seriously overpaid). In fact, other then the above-mentioned names, I'd be happiest if we just avoided the free agent market.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Oh, absolutely. He’s a very good player.

But he’ll have 5+ huge contract offers allowing him to stay in the eastern US on better teams than us. He’s simply not coming here.
You can probably expand the net to include the US Midwest since he's from Minnesota but I agree that there is zero chance he winds up signing here.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
High-profile eastern-based American UFAs do not sign in Western Canada. Lee is a total pipe dream.

There's certainly that specific tax on FA contracts. The interesting part is that former management teams tried to find creative ways around that tax by targeting certain FAs, etc. Benning & Co. just seem to want to pay the freaking tax. Like whatever the extra cost to get the player they want to come to a western Canadian team ... Hell, let's just pay it. Years, dollars, movement clause? Hell yeah.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Cue up the average players for big money.

Ferland and Myers here we come.

If this management group thinks Panarin or EK will come here they are idiots. Well even more so.

Just get rid of Elmer already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad