Speculation: iMac: Canucks will be "aggressive" on July 1st with regards to second-tier FAs

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Meh. I'm curious to see how they can f*** this up further at this point. Bring it on!

We broke the "highest paid player to never crack 40 points" with Sutter, wonder what they'll pull off this time.

Simmonds seems like a foregone conclusion after the playoff run he had.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Don't care who we sign but term will be the issue. Don't see it ending well with JB having to get "his guy" to ensure playoffs and save his job. Seriously someone steal his phone on June 30th and give it back July 2nd so we don't get in on the stupid frenzy. There are a lot of wingers this year that can be signed- hopefully some end up being bargains after the big fish go. On the back end, after EK there's a massive drop to only Myers, Gardiner and Stralman all of which would be bad signings for us at what the market will present for them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They can target EK and AP all they want but those guys have to want to sign here. Given what we have heard about both highly doubt even if the Canucks has the largest offer that they would take it.

member 290103

If one were smart, one would use the Canucks as leverage. Knowing that the clown show will overpay in term and money, why not tell the clown show that you’ll entertain signing with them...and use that offer to drive up the offer from the real team with legit management that you really want to sign with?

I expect to hear soon that Panarin, Karlsson, Etc are all VERY interested in the Canucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
My prediction is Myers and Gardiner....almost guaranteed the Canucks will overpay for both.

I suppose it's only money and at least they're d-men, instead of the steady procession of lackluster forwards that Jimbo usually gravitates towards on July 1st. I just can't see Subban, unless the Preds are into a massive 'cap-dump'.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Karlsson for D.

Duchene, Panarin or Lee for our wingers.

Back up the money truck.

We don't need longshots or redemption projects. We don't need any middling players. We need a top line LW, a second line RW, a top pairing RD (one that can drive play and isn't a passenger) and everything else would have to be a monster of a player.

Failing that....I hate to say it, but Subban isn't the worst choice as a back up if we miss on Karlsson.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Zero interest in Myers and Simmonds. Myers will be grossly overpaid and will end up with a Eriksson like 6x6 contract. Simmonds has been a warrior and that has taken a toll.

There are some interesting wingers that could fill some needs on each but this team isn't ready and shouldn't be looking to give term 28-30 year olds. In a season or two, sure, doing it now will only cause problems later when you need add that winger.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Karlsson for D.

Duchene, Panarin or Lee for our wingers.

Back up the money truck.

We don't need longshots or redemption projects. We don't need any middling players. We need a top line LW, a second line RW, a top pairing RD (one that can drive play and isn't a passenger) and everything else would have to be a monster of a player.

Failing that....I hate to say it, but Subban isn't the worst choice as a back up if we miss on Karlsson.
Speaking of setting this team back a decade. That’s exactly what signing EK would do. That will be an albatross for a player that is grossly inadequate in his own end and is on the decline

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Speaking of setting this team back a decade. That’s exactly what signing EK would do. That will be an albatross for a player that is grossly inadequate in his own end and is on the decline
One horrible contract you can always work around. Not saying it would be easy. But that spot in the roster is already taken up by Loui. One such contract isn't crippling. Two would be.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
And that means Joonas Donskoi is going to be signed to a moneypuck deal after every other target hangs up the phone! It's brilliant!

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
My prediction is Myers and Gardiner....almost guaranteed the Canucks will overpay for both.

I suppose it's only money and at least they're d-men, instead of the steady procession of lackluster forwards that Jimbo usually gravitates towards on July 1st. I just can't see Subban, unless the Preds are into a massive 'cap-dump'.

Haha that's like the best case scenario basically. I doubt they avoid another stupid forward contract.

We actually need defensemen badly, though, so I'm not going to judge too harshly (depending on terms, obviously) if they invest substantial money in some true top-four defensemen under 30. We literally have one at the moment.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Not capitalizing on an opportunity to add a player for no on ice/future assets except cap space will hurt us more than signing him. Injuries are a concern, but how has Hughes started off? What about Edler and Tanev? We have guys that are good in their own end. Stetcher and Edler are not offensive players, at least as their biggest benefits. We have Hughes, and who is going to teach Hughes? He's still matched our highest career high for seasons points on this roster in 61 games and has 200 more points in 150 fewer games then our best guy.

We have been dumping ballast all year, we might even have an out (according to Ferraro) for Eriksson. This isn't a Simmonds or a Lucic or an Okposo or an Eriksson or a Backes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad