Post-Game Talk (GBU): I'm Having Troble sorting something out

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Some of you guys need to get it together.. We aren't even a 1/10th of the way through the season.. Embrace the suck

In terms of points, the first 6 games of the season are worth just as much as the last 6 games. In other ways, it's arguable that the first 6 games are worth more... youth development, team chemistry, player values in contract years, leadership build, etc.

Besides, it's never too early in a Sabres season to build a therapy support group :D

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
G: The tank is on, the Islanders lost and watching Grigorenko play today. Damn he looks good.

B: It's only October

U: Watching 76 more games

Last edited:

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Go tell that to Pittsburgh,Chicago and LA. And TB, and Colorado.
Solid confirmation bias you've got there. I suppose our management is just too good to fall into the trap that teams like the Islanders, Florida, and Edmonton have. And none of those teams - at their worst - have been as bad as this and last year's version of the Sabres. They won 14 games without the aid of the shootout last year. FOURTEEN! And they sure look like they'll win less this year.

Last edited:

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
The Bills making a run towards the playoffs will make this season much easier to get through. So far this has been brutal.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't know what's wrong. This is what is expected in a rebuild. Losses and pain. The best is to just not expect anything.

And honestly, it may be me but I don't even think they were that bad tonight. They were just unlucky on a few occasions and couldn't capitalize on their chances.

Of course I don't care about losing, It's expected. But What frustrates me is how so many of our young players are no better today then they were two years ago. Games being all but over after the first period isn't good for anyone, tank or not we are not even in these games so far this season and our goal-tending hasn't even been brutal. Eventually we will get better but that might still be 2-3 years down the road. We are still in the first 2 weeks of the season coming off a very positive camp, this could be an absolute gong show by mid November.

I guess what I am saying is, I am more frusterated with the play of Hodgson, Ennis among others because they are suppose to be at the very least good players at this point, the rebuild is going to be set back if guys like that don't improve because our prospects are still pretty green.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Of course I don't care about losing, It's expected. But What frustrates me is how so many of our young players are no better today then they were two years ago. Games being all but over after the first period isn't good for anyone, tank or not we are not even in these games this season and our goal-tending hasn't even been brutal. Eventually we will get better but that might still be 2-3 years down the road.

Girgensons isn't better?

Myers isn't better?

Risto isn't better?

Foligno is better. He is just in a position where he shouldn't be. He'll be a 4th liner one day.

Ennis and Hodgson you can make a case for...but I still think they're better than they were 2 years ago ...

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Girgensons isn't better?

Myers isn't better?

Risto isn't better?

Foligno is better. He is just in a position where he shouldn't be. He'll be a 4th liner one day.

Ennis and Hodgson you can make a case for...but I still think they're better than they were 2 years ago ...
Foligno Ennis and Hodgson are not better. How can you say Foligno is better when he doesn't show up to games? I expect him to be a solid 5-10 goal a year player but I expect him to have some positive impact away from that too. He has none. He plays like a depressed person. He's a very easy player to play against and he's a downright liability on the ice at times.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Girgensons isn't better?

Myers isn't better?

Risto isn't better?

Seems pretty obvious that I wasn't referring to guys like Girgensons and Risto seeing as they were not here two years ago are are 19 and 20 year old kids.

Hodgson and Ennis have not taken the steps that were expected, sure you can say they are better but they have pretty much stagnated and created bad habits which is probably from playing to high up the line-up. Foligno was better two years ago, regardless of points he was a physical force and a pain in the ass on the fore check. The last couple years he hasn't been that player. Myers development has turned for the better since Nolan arrived, but his career trajectory isn't a franchise #1 D like it was a few years ago.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Foligno Ennis and Hodgson are not better. How can you say Foligno is better when he doesn't show up to games? I expect him to be a solid 5-10 goal a year player but I expect him to have some positive impact away from that too. He has none. He plays like a depressed person. He's a very easy player to play against and he's a downright liability on the ice at times.

He's a liability on the ice at times because he's playing a role that he's frankly not suited for on a consistent basis. He's a 4th liner. Consistency is certainly a problem with him.

I honestly don't care about Ennis or Hodgson because I don't see them being a part of the team down the line.... Dead Men walking.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He's a liability on the ice at times because he's playing a role that he's frankly not suited for on a consistent basis. He's a 4th liner. Consistency is certainly a problem with him.

I honestly don't care about Ennis or Hodgson because I don't see them being a part of the team down the line.... Dead Men walking.
Well Murray doesn't think so regarding Ennis or at least he didn't. I've always hated this teams evaluation of pro talent and if I was Murray I would be livid about Tyler Ennis right now.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

This. The reality for all of these guys is that they are playing a line if not two over their heads, which is always going to heighten their weaknesses whether it be consistency for Foligno or vision for Ennis. Next year will be night and day when several players roles will be dramatically altered.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

please, Murray just signed Ennis to a six year contract, Hodgson still has five years left, Foligno is making more then someone who the GM sees as more then a 4th line winger. Weather these players are around for the long term or not they are assets and paid to perform. I swear the tank makes so many delusional, Tim Murray is absolutely furious about this start, as he should be. The work ethic has been terrible, no effort at all it's pathetic.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
:laugh:

Oh Buffalo fans.

xSdaeEI.gif

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Foligno can be a lazy player who takes terrible penalties and can't win a puck battle to save his life because he shouldn't be on the 3rd line. Okay gotcha.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
... Games being all but over after the first period isn't good for anyone....

exaggeration alert

Columbus game - tied until midway through the 3rd period
Chicago game - tied until 5 minutes into the 3rd period
Ducks game was a blowout
Carolina game - we won
Panthers game - we lost 1-0
Bruins game -- score was a blowout, but game was a bit closer

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
exaggeration alert

Ducks game was a blowout
Carolina game - we won
I agree that on the scoreboard the Sabres haven't been out of very many games early, but you can't have it both ways. You can't simultaneously say that tonight's game wasn't a blowout because it was closer on the ice than on the scoreboard while saying that the Columbus, Florida, and Chicago games were close because it was close on the scoreboard when it was obvious they were outclassed on the ice.

Frankly, I put more stock in the team being severely outplayed throughout in the majority of their games rather than the fact that they were close on the scoreboard til the 3rd period.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
exaggeration alert

Ducks game was a blowout
Carolina game - we won

Who cares, I wasn't even really referring to the score board but fine the point still stands. We haven't been in much of any of the games.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
They actually played fairly well tonight, but this team has so little offensive talent.. On pace for 96 goals (not including the shootout).

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
And please send Reinhart and Zadorov back if they aren't going to play. Being in this depressing losing atmosphere AND not being able to play decent minutes is a recipe for disaster.

DrStrangelife

Dec 14, 2011
Rīga
G: The Bruins with a slow game. Played on a pace we could actually follow. Made the game actually watchable.
U: The first line has to be changed. It was clear MES had to be changed, but not by switching Stafford with Gionta.

Ennis keeps disappointing at the center, he also had a horrible display at FO last night: 11%. I'd say he must be moved to the wing and Reinhart back to centering the 3rd.

Since Girgensons is now playing top line minutes (last night he was second in ice-time from forwards (19:22) after Stafford) and is on both PP and PK, it's clear Ted is starting to rely more and more on Girgs. Then why can't he get the best, or presumably the best wingers we have?? Let's use the kid to the fullest and see what he really is capable of.

Moulson - Girgs - Ennis/Stafford
Foligno - Hodgson - Stafford/Ennis
Stewart - Sam - Gionta

or if this doesn't work, then switch Girgs with Hodgson.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
G- Zemgus
-Murray did a great job of building a losing team

B- no goals again
-nesn made a Keystone Cops comment about the Sabres play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad