Post-Game Talk (GBU): I'm Having Troble sorting something out

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
The crazy thing was that they had a number of pretty good scoring chances but couldn't bury it. Boston had a couple of seeing-eye shots from the point. I like Enroth, but the big goalies are better able to see those screened shots through traffic. And Boston is great at creating screens. Rayzor is right about this point - we have enough big boys on this roster that they should be doing a better job of screening the goalie. Moulson, Stafford, Stewart, Foligno, Deslauriers all need to park it in the paint and let guys like Ennis, Risto, Myers, Gionta, etc. try to get the puck to the crease. The Sabres had a positive Corsi for at least the 1st period, but it didn't amount to anything.

Some other observations:

• I want to like Stewart, but he is a giveaway machine. I noticed it in the Florida game, and then again tonight. He makes a lot of passes that don't connect or shots that get blocked and then wind up in rushes going the wrong way. He needs to simplify his game and keep it close to the net.

• Meszaros is absolutely brutal. They need to bench him, if not waive him, immediately. Benoit too. I'd like to see Zads and then Pysyk after he gets a few more games in Rochester. Maybe they could bring back Rory Fitzpatrick. I guess McBain is in Russia.

• Foligno was pretty invisible tonight. He's ridiculously inconsistent with his effort. He needs to get serious.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Good:

- Leading in shots after 20 minutes and holding Boston to less than 40 shots in 60 minutes
- Not having a tie game so not having to watch another 5 minutes of OT.
- Reinhart didn't have to get squished for nuttin.
- Sabres officially have 1 center (Hodgson) above 50% in the dot, OMG!

Bad:

- Reduced to only 1 guy (Girgensens) who is actually a plus in the +/-.
- 4 shots against before end of the 2nd shift.
- The so-called "top 6" combining for -11 in a single game.

Ugly:

- Game #6 of the 2014-2015 Moulson & Ennis experiment
- The so-called "1st line center" reduced to 32.2% face-offs.
- The so-called "1st line" combining for -9 in a single game.

Hideous:

- The Moulson & Ennis experiment with Gionta as wingman.
- The "power forward" wanna-be gift givers Foligno, Stewart and Stafford.

Sad:

- Gionta in his 2nd game of looking like he is a 35 year old past-expiry date 3rd liner trying desperately to push his team forward.
- Twitter a buzz with trade proposals for every last bit of talent on the Sabres.

Depressing:

- The pending burn out of Girgensens, reduced to stick play by end of the 3rd period.
- Moulson's chewing.

Annoying:

- Nolan's apparent inability to sort out functional lines before the 7th game of the season.
- Moulson's chewing.

Exciting:

- Not Moulson's chewing.

Lame:

- Moulson's chewing.
- My fixation on Moulson's chewing.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I disagree. Many of these guys performed better just last season, among them Ennis, Stafford, Hodgson, and Moulson. You know, 4 of the "top 6".

They played better for stretches but that's it. Are we all already forgetting how bad the team was last year?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The crazy thing was that they had a number of pretty good scoring chances but couldn't bury it. Boston had a couple of seeing-eye shots from the point. I like Enroth, but the big goalies are better able to see those screened shots through traffic. And Boston is great at creating screens. Rayzor is right about this point - we have enough big boys on this roster that they should be doing a better job of screening the goalie. Moulson, Stafford, Stewart, Foligno, Deslauriers all need to park it in the paint and let guys like Ennis, Risto, Myers, Gionta, etc. try to get the puck to the crease. The Sabres had a positive Corsi for at least the 1st period, but it didn't amount to anything.

Some other observations:

• I want to like Stewart, but he is a giveaway machine. I noticed it in the Florida game, and then again tonight. He makes a lot of passes that don't connect or shots that get blocked and then wind up in rushes going the wrong way. He needs to simplify his game and keep it close to the net.

• Meszaros is absolutely brutal. They need to bench him, if not waive him, immediately. Benoit too. I'd like to see Zads and then Pysyk after he gets a few more games in Rochester. Maybe they could bring back Rory Fitzpatrick. I guess McBain is in Russia.

• Foligno was pretty invisible tonight. He's ridiculously inconsistent with his effort. He needs to get serious.

Which is why I get a tad nervous about him playing with Stewart. A player thats never shaken that label of inconsistent player.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
I disagree. Many of these guys performed better just last season, among them Ennis, Stafford, Hodgson, and Moulson. You know, 4 of the "top 6".

You're implying that Nolan is the cause of these guys' poor play? Then your point must be that Ron Rolston got much more out of those players...

EDIT: Maybe I misinterpreted. On first review it seemed like you were trashing Nolan for the team's poor play rather than pointing out that this team simply played better (at times) last year than it's playing currently.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Just to say something positive, this game was not nearly as lopsided as the score indicates, but Boston has a lot more guys who can score, and they are a lot better in front of the net at both ends of the rink.

EDIT: OK, that was only partially positive

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
The Sabres played two home games this weekend and this 47 year old man has scored more than they have.......if you know what I mean. :naughty:

And possibly unlike the Sabres, whoever that 47 year old gent is, he may have some upside too (if you know what I mean).

Or at least hope for the future, cuz I know this certain 70 year old fellow who has scored more, and double that, than Sabres over the same last two nights.... :D

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
You're implying that Nolan is the cause of these guys' poor play? Then your point must be that Ron Rolston got much more out of those players...

EDIT: Maybe I misinterpreted. On first review it seemed like you were trashing Nolan for the team's poor play rather than pointing out that this team simply played better (at times) last year than it's playing currently.

Yep, that's all I was saying.

Still, since the start of Nolan's tenure last year through to tonight, I have gone from being a big supporter to climbing on the fence with concern for his apparent favouritism toward a single dimension of playing styles, to leaping firmly down on the side of thinking that Nolan himself is a very one-dimensional coach.

And possibly not so suited after all to this team.

ZeroPT*

As he should be, it's unacceptable. I have never been so irritated since this rebuild started.

I don't know what's wrong. This is what is expected in a rebuild. Losses and pain. The best is to just not expect anything.

And honestly, it may be me but I don't even think they were that bad tonight. They were just unlucky on a few occasions and couldn't capitalize on their chances.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Still, since the start of Nolan's tenure last year through to tonight, I have gone from being a big supporter to climbing on the fence with concern for his apparent favouritism toward a single dimension of playing styles, to leaping firmly down on the side of thinking that Nolan himself is a very one-dimensional coach.

Cody Hodgson in his post game interview talked about how the are better coached this year than last. That its night and day on the PP. That the coaches are coming up with different plays to try and create scoring chances. That the team is finally executing them properly but they can't finish right now. That they need to keep plugging away and things will finally break. But that they are very frustrated.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Cody Hodgson in his post game interview talked about how the are better coached this year than last. That its night and day on the PP. That the coaches are coming up with different plays to try and create scoring chances. The team is finally execute them properly but they can't finish right now. That they need to keep plugging away and things will finally break. But that they are very frustrated.

From what I can see, I think he's right. Their breakout attempts are much better this year. They have more movement and creativity on the PP and their zone entries are much better, and they have much better puck support (most games) than last year. People who aren't seeing that either aren't watching close enough or are blinded with anti-Nolan bias.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo

I've been a Nolan supporter since the day he came back (I know - bandwagoner, right?:sarcasm:) The 'one-dimensional' style of play is sort of a chicken/egg argument for me. Nolan definitely preaches a certain style of physical, gritty, dirty areas play. That's certainly not every player's forte but I think part of the reason he's pushing that style so hard is because there are so few roster players with the talent to play (and win) a different game. When you can't complete two or more tape to tape passes in a row, it's gonna be tough to create those highlight reel plays - that's when you've gotta start throwing everything at the net and hoping a rebound is scooped up by the guy pulling a Brett Hull with one skate in the crease.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
From what I can see, I think he's right. Their breakout attempts are much better this year. They have more movement and creativity on the PP and their zone entries are much better, and they have much better puck support (most games) than last year. People who aren't seeing that either aren't watching close enough or are blinded with anti-Nolan bias.

Yep

The biggest problem the team has right now is the lack confidence.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Cody Hodgson in his post game interview talked about how the are better coached this year than last. That its night and day on the PP. That the coaches are coming up with different plays to try and create scoring chances. That the team is finally executing them properly but they can't finish right now. That they need to keep plugging away and things will finally break. But that they are very frustrated.

I didn't tune into the interview, so thanks for the summary. Still, being aware that no player with 25% of his brain power left doesn't glow about his current coaches, I'm holding out as suspicious until seeing this magical "break" unfold. I want to believe, I really want to believe, really, really, but...

Well, guess we'll see what comes.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I've been a Nolan supporter since the day he came back (I know - bandwagoner, right?:sarcasm:) The 'one-dimensional' style of play is sort of a chicken/egg argument for me. Nolan definitely preaches a certain style of physical, gritty, dirty areas play. That's certainly not every player's forte but I think part of the reason he's pushing that style so hard is because there are so few roster players with the talent to play (and win) a different game. When you can't complete two or more tape to tape passes in a row, it's gonna be tough to create those highlight reel plays - that's when you've gotta start throwing everything at the net and hoping a rebound is scooped up by the guy pulling a Brett Hull with one skate in the crease.

Good point, thanks for that.

K, I'm climbing back up on the fence...

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Are you having troble or trouble?

G... Chef's. Girgensons. Hot Chocolate. 76 to go.
B... PP. Team.
U... Marchand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad