OT: I'm having a boy!

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
When my kids became wild and unruly, I used a nice safe playpen. When they’re finished, I climbed out.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Since I'm not allowed to post on facebook that I am going to be having a son this December, I'll post here! I'm sure people don't really care but I need to tell somebody, hehe... something about telling family first, blah blah blah!

Now we begin arguing over baby names! I'm pushing for Sheamus, Shea for short, and not getting a lot of co-operation. Yet. Anyway!

Feels good, man!

My son is 6 weeks old now and nighttime is the worst thing in the entire world. I would start prepping yourself now for lack of sleep and maybe try 2-3 hours a night from here on out.

ps. most glorious thing ever!

idk

Jan 11, 2012
Since I'm not allowed to post on facebook that I am going to be having a son this December, I'll post here! I'm sure people don't really care but I need to tell somebody, hehe... something about telling family first, blah blah blah!

Now we begin arguing over baby names! I'm pushing for Sheamus, Shea for short, and not getting a lot of co-operation. Yet. Anyway!

Feels good, man!

As the father of a two year old girl, allow me to pass along the following advice:

(1) Take pillows to the hospital. Hospital pillows are crap and your wife will have just finished having an infant fight its way out of her body. Plus, if you wind up napping on the floor you'll appreciate it too.

(2) If your wife breast feeds DO NOT make cow jokes. Ever. Not even to your friends while you think she can't hear. Trust me on this one.

(3) Learn to listen to your body when you need sleep. Seriously. Pre-baby you could probably go all night long. You still can probably go all night long, but can you do it five nights in a row because the baby has colic? You see some weird **** when you start getting sleep deprived.

(4) Speaking of nights, learn to use a DVR (and/or buy Netlfix) and buy a really comfortable chair - a rocker is all right but a recliner is better. This way when the baby is sleeping/feeding you and/or your wife can watch hockey/whatever your wife watches. Or you can sleep in the chair. Probably the sleeping thing though.

(5) Learn to live through diaper changes. They suck, but they suck more later on and if you have some goodwill built up by being so willing to change diapers at the start (before solid foods - when they are more runny and less smelly) you might be able to get yourself out of some of the bad diaper changes. Not all, but some.

(6) And most of all - don't take advice from anyone (within reason - obviously you probably shouldn't share your baby or put him in the microwave - I mean on the small stuff like how to feed him, how to put him to bed, when his bedtime should be, what type of food he should have). While it might seem natural to defer to her or your parents (especially since they raised you or her) this is your daughter, not theirs. You know how screwed up you are? Do you want that to happen to your son? Of course not. Chart your own course and don't be afraid to tell people what end of the pier to jump off of.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I love babies but I can't eat a whole one .

Is this board going soft, are we going to share feelings next?

Talk to me when they are teenagers, running your Lexus into the post at the Tim's drive through or inviting friends over who drink your premium scotch. Those are tough times.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
My son is one year old. There are MANY things I could tell you, but I'll stick to the most important (echoing idk):

This baby is yours. And your wife's. No one else. Don't let anyone decide in your place. What I mean is, EVERYONE will tell you do this and do that... every child is different, there are no rules, no book.

And remember that you're allowed to think differently than your wife/girlfriend. Usually, women are more "careful" than men (thank God!), but men will offer more varied and challenging experiences to their children. I'm the one who introduced cereals and purees to our son... and eventually solid foods... I brought him in the pool when my wife wasn't looking. He loves those things. Feel free to express yourself with your child, as long as you know you're doing it safely and intelligently.

Rickkins

Jul 22, 2007
Just one other thing I've learned along the way. When it comes to your kids, love is spelled *T*I*M*E*... if you always remember that, you're halfway there....

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Congrats Habs13.:handclap::handclap:

Hopefully one day he is skating for the Habs as a stay at home DMan.:D

Like the choice for the name also!!!!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
CONGRATS!!! Always loved the name Gabriel. Get ready for 2 sleepless years and tons of magic moments that will humble, horrify, and please you like nothing before. Its the good stuff, so savour every drop, and you will be a different person afterwards!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Had my triplets on Dec 19, 2012, 2 boys and a girl, and my wife is expecting in January again, another boy, trust me when I say 1 will be a breeze, congrats

Holy cow!! As a Dad with twin boys, I bow to your perseverance even while I question your sanity. Man... I wish you lots of patience, diapers and naps.

Two were enough for me and my wife. The good news for parents of multiples is that it goes from harder to easier in a few short years, as they spend more time with each other rather than waiting to be entertained by Mom & Dad.

Habsolutely Awesome

Jesus is Life
Jan 18, 2005
Florida
Holy cow!! As a Dad with twin boys, I bow to your perseverance even while I question your sanity. Man... I wish you lots of patience, diapers and naps.

Two were enough for me and my wife. The good news for parents of multiples is that it goes from harder to easier in a few short years, as they spend more time with each other rather than waiting to be entertained by Mom & Dad.

My sanity has already left me, patience is very thin, tons of diapers 30 a day, and I sleep is just a memory now, but I love them to death and I can't wait till they start watching hockey with me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad