I'm Gonna Make You An Offer You Can't Refuse (CBA & Lockout Discussion) - Part VIII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
50 / 50 is huge as an offer from the owners, particularly in the PR war. As others have said, the players turning down a down-the-middle split would almost certainly cast them in a negative light with fans. The devil, as they say, is in the details.

The ball is definitely in the PA's court, and they almost have to come out with either a set of semi-reasonable tinkers to this offer, or an exquisitely detailed and explained counter-offer. Now we'll see if Donald Fehr is set to save or ruin the NHL, because if he weighs in with a scorched-earth stance, the season is indeed doomed.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I'd have to imagine that even if the PA rejects the offer, they'd present their counter very quickly. No more taking 2 weeks to submit a counter offer.

I also dont think their is anyway their counter offer cannot be very close given the situation and owners attempt in trying to save the season. If the pa comes back with a far off offer, it does not look good on them at all. They will loose alot of support they had. It needs to be very close.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
82 games crammed into 5 months was my biggest fear. This season is going to be such a cluster ****, tons of injuries, tons of back to backs. The greed continues.

The 82 games could very well be a negotiating point. Just because the owners said the deal is contingent on that doesn't mean they're totally unwilling to compromise on it.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
I don't see the owners going above 50-MAYBE 51, but doubtful. They're putting forth what they feel is a VERY reasonable offer, and I think any movement by the PA to go above 50 or 51 is not going to sit well.

If the players try that, the NHL will optically "indignant" at the refusal of such an offer-I suspect this an offer that won't have the NHL bending much.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
The lockout is gonna end very soon! There'll be hockey!

Even if NHLPA doesn't accept this deal which is similarly structured to the NHLPA's first offer, this is a huge step in a positive direction

I get this sense that there will be hockey this season, get it done!

+1

I dont think the players will just accept this deal as is but they wont reject it either. With some tweeks here and there this deal will be done.

If they player flat our reject this offer, the PR war is over and the owners won.

Sep 19, 2008
LEt's assume the deal is completed in the next 48 hours. Why do you need to play 82 games? Cut games out and play a shortened season.

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
Honestly,if it was anyone but Fehr as head of the NHLPA,I would have much more faith in this offer getting accepted by the NHLPA.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
82 games crammed into 5 months was my biggest fear. This season is going to be such a cluster ****, tons of injuries, tons of back to backs. The greed continues.

On the bright side, it'll be anomaly yr 2.0. Hurricanes won the cup last time against Edmonton in the finals. Maybe we'll get Dallas vs Mtl or something else random happening.

I gotta say, it feels a bit anti-climatic if they end up reaching an agreement this week. PA definitely has to make one counter offer but looks like it'll be the predictred 50 or 52 split. The 82 game thing now seems to be more of a pressure point on the NHL than the players.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Once again the evil owners take the initiative and make what, on the surface, appears to be a very reasonable offer.

If the NHLPA rejects this out of hand then all hope is lost. The league has done exactly what the PA has wanted - made offer after offer after offer without any negotiation or counter-offers by the players. It went first making a new offer... even though they made the last one. They've made the concession to 50/50, which I really can't believe anyone would consider "unfair" to the players, and which most feel the players would accept.

Note to Mr. Fehr and players: reject this out of hand and you've probably lost this fan. Not that you care, you clearly don't, but it made me feel better to say it.

I don't see how this can result in major negotiations because of the time pressure, and I don't see the NHLPA accepting the offer outright.

This is the problem with not negotiating - do any of us really know what the NHLPA wants to get out of all this? So far all we can guess from their one offer and their PR rhetoric is that they don't want an immediate rollback, or escrow, or a smaller pie, or a smaller share of a smaller pie. Or Gary Bettman for that matter.

Seriously, I'm not sure even they know what they want. I don't have much hope for this, even though I think the NHL's proposal is very fair.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Wait, are players paid by the game? I thought they were salaried, which would mean that the owners would get a bunch of free games, which the players already missed a pay period.

Players are salaried, but in the case of missed time, they would only be payed for the percentage of the season that actually took place.

If only 41 out of 82 games were played the players would receive half of their salary. If 10/82 were played they'd receive just over 1/8th.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I like this offer from the NHL. I think the PA has to accept it to save face. Think they could shorten the season by 6-8 games though.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
LEt's assume the deal is completed in the next 48 hours. Why do you need to play 82 games? Cut games out and play a shortened season.

Because both sides want the revenue pie to be as large as possible. More games = more revenue.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

I'm guessing that if you are going to protect player contracts from the old system, they are still guaranteed that money even if it is spread over the contract term. NHL is a gate driven league, so they'd want to get the full revenue stream coming in thus 82 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad