I'm Gonna Make You An Offer You Can't Refuse (CBA & Lockout Discussion) - Part VIII ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
Betman said on his interview with reporters that they have about 9 days to get this deal signed and finished to have a 82 game season november 2nd start because it would also give teams a one week training camp.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
The lockout is gonna end very soon! There'll be hockey!

Even if NHLPA doesn't accept this deal which is similarly structured to the NHLPA's first offer, this is a huge step in a positive direction

I get this sense that there will be hockey this season, get it done!

What about all the articles about the players wanting revenge and ready to sit it out for a year just to stick it to Bettman?

We'll see I guess if they really do want to strike a deal and if all the stalling and stonewalling was a negotiating tactic or the first(non)moves in a protracted war to get rid of Bettman and the cap.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
As someone who just wrote a test on collective bargaining and labor relations in my limited knowledge this seems like a home run pr wise for the nhl, and backs the pa into a pretty tight corner, especially with the nhl deal being based on a full 82 game season yet. They may reject it but I believe it will be close, it has to be...if not it says the players not even attempting or trying to save the season.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Just to be clear, the no salaries will be cut isn't completely true. If they do come significantly short of the revenue mark which wouldn't be surprising considering how people will be more frugal with how much they spend on the NHL now, the players escrow cheques won't be as big and might not make up for lost salary. Players also will lose based on how much they're paid, they'll get it back in escrow assuming a healthy league revenue figure but they hate that to begin with.

And an 82 game schedule at this point is just idiotic, cut it down to 70. Hope someone addressed realignment somewhere in there.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Hopefully this gets finalized and put to bed in the next 48 hours, and we can all look back on it like this:

725.jpg

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The players would get their entire season's worth of salary money while also getting nice little bonuses for whoever is playing right now.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Offering 82 games sounds like a huge win to the players to me.(financially at least)

Wait, are players paid by the game? I thought they were salaried, which would mean that the owners would get a bunch of free games, which the players already missed a pay period.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I'm pretty certain they will reject it and counter.

I wouldn't have a problem with this as long as the counter offer was sensible and in line with what the league is proposing here.

What this offer reminds me of is that story in the old Godfather movie where someone is offered a contract with the following line: "Either your signature is going on this contract or your brains. Your choice."

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If it does start in November, would they cancel the allstar game?

The math would suggest they'd cancel it. A Nov 2nd start would see ~8 games missed by teams. If they're making it up by only playing an extra game every "5 weeks" they probably have to remove the all star break.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
They won't accept this outright, but they will build off of it. Major progression from where they were when they were just throwing proposals back and forth.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Once again the evil owners take the initiative and make what, on the surface, appears to be a very reasonable offer.

If the NHLPA rejects this out of hand then all hope is lost. The league has done exactly what the PA has wanted - made offer after offer after offer without any negotiation or counter-offers by the players. It went first making a new offer... even though they made the last one. They've made the concession to 50/50, which I really can't believe anyone would consider "unfair" to the players, and which most feel the players would accept.

Note to Mr. Fehr and players: reject this out of hand and you've probably lost this fan. Not that you care, you clearly don't, but it made me feel better to say it.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange

There will be a conference call for #NHLPA executive board and negotiating committee today at 5 p.m. About 60 players. #NHL

Riddick

Feb 29, 2004
Concessions on contracts? As in they aren't going to get rid if the cap circumventing contacts or at least close the damn loophole?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The math would suggest they'd cancel it. A Nov 2nd start would see ~8 games missed by teams. If they're making it up by only playing an extra game every "5 weeks" they probably have to remove the all star break.

Wow - maybe the lockout was worth it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I expect the NHLPA to reject it and come back with a deal that doesn't go 50-50 right away. Maybe go with a 54-52-50 transition period. I also see the NHL willing to make that compromise if the deal is long term (6-7+ years).

Maybe I am just too optimistic though. :dunno:

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I'd have to imagine that even if the PA rejects the offer, they'd present their counter very quickly. No more taking 2 weeks to submit a counter offer.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
82 games crammed into 5 months was my biggest fear. This season is going to be such a cluster ****, tons of injuries, tons of back to backs. The greed continues.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Wait, are players paid by the game? I thought they were salaried, which would mean that the owners would get a bunch of free games, which the players already missed a pay period.

If they were to lose X% of the season(counted via games) they would lose X% of their salary corresponding with that number.

That's the entire point of locking them out. No games = No pay

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I am as pro player as you can get, but this offer today was MAJOR from the owners especially considering a full 82 game season ensures no player missing one paycheck.

Granted, the Escrow issue is hurtful with a 12% give back, but I believe we are headed towards resolution here with this offer.

They still need to address revenue sharing as the key component in leveling the playing field as a Salary Cap WILL NOT GET THAT DONW, but in terms of getting back on the ice? This offer was big.

Kudos to the NHL for putting this out there.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'd have to imagine that even if the PA rejects the offer, they'd present their counter very quickly. No more taking 2 weeks to submit a counter offer.

They'd have to. You're right. Just rejecting this, it's a PR nightmare for them.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Just to be clear, the no salaries will be cut isn't completely true. If they do come significantly short of the revenue mark which wouldn't be surprising considering how people will be more frugal with how much they spend on the NHL now, the players escrow cheques won't be as big and might not make up for lost salary. Players also will lose based on how much they're paid, they'll get it back in escrow assuming a healthy league revenue figure but they hate that to begin with.

And an 82 game schedule at this point is just idiotic, cut it down to 70. Hope someone addressed realignment somewhere in there.
It's a provision to protect from rollbacks... we don't know the details of the provision so to speculate how much they may or may not still lose is pointless.

As for the 82 games... I don't see a problem. The season would have only started less than a week ago... if they start it 3 weeks later they can make up the lost games throughout the duration of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad