Post-Game Talk: I'm-Glad-I-Fell-Asleep-Because-We-Lost-So-I-Made-the-Post-Game-Thread-The-Next-Day

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Anyone have ideas for why we have such a putrid offence this year? One would think that falls on the coaching staff, sure dats missed a lot of the year, and has been slower to get back into form, but we have added a 60 point player in larkin, and green. One would think we should be even a little better off then last year in terms of player personal.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Anyone have ideas for why we have such a putrid offence this year? One would think that falls on the coaching staff, sure dats missed a lot of the year, and has been slower to get back into form, but we have added a 60 point player in larkin, and green. One would think we should be even a little better off then last year in terms of player personal.

Partly adjusting to new system, and that system not being as effective.

Partly due to our PP sucking. Kills our momentum in a lot of games. Guys that rely on PP production (Kronwall, Green, Nyquist) all non-coincidentally having down years pt-wise.

Our scorers don't shoot enough. Settle for perimeter play and over-pass far too often.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Marchenko out next game, per HSJ... I'm not happy.

What the hell? Just being scratched? Jesus if anyone should be scratched it should be E or Smith. Smith had a horrendous last game. Marchy better be injured or this decision makes absolutely no sense.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pairs at practice were:

Kronwall-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Quincey
Smith-Green

Switch Ericsson and Marchenko and I like those pairs...

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
Marchenko isn't part of the country club yet, and thus is the easiest to bench. Pretty simple.

Its obvious that playing time on this team isn't based on performance. If it was, there is NO way Marchenko would be benched.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We better be trying to showcase some of these guys for a trade or something.

Aug 6, 2012
What a ****ing joke this team can be at times. Kyle whats a breakout pass Quincey comes back and instantly our current best defenseman is removed. Can we just leave some of these scrubs in Cali please?

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Pairs at practice were:

Kronwall-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Quincey
Smith-Green

Switch Ericsson and Marchenko and I like those pairs...

I remember Kronwall-Ericsson being a dumpster fire cant remember if the others were bad as well.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I remember Kronwall-Ericsson being a dumpster fire cant remember if the others were bad as well.

DeKeyser-Quincey have been good together in the past, great shutdown pair. DeKeyser's smooth-skating, cerebral defense style pairs well with Quincey's more straightforward physical approach. Quincey also seems to have taken to heart that he's at his best when he's mean and physical so I hope he keeps it up.
I'd so much rather be able to drop Ericsson from this defense than Quincey but with Ericsson's contract and Swedish connection that's not happening.:shakehead

Smith has been generally better this season. Seems a lot more comfortable and far less prone to bad turnovers. He's also been trying to join the offense much more successfully this season. Not worried about pairing him with Green who's been generally great this season. I think they played together for a stretch earlier if I'm not mistaken. The only potential worry would be putting two guys who have been prone to defensive blunders in the past together. But as I said, Green has been solid all-around with us so he's earned the benefit of the doubt there.

And your memory serves you right, Kronwall-Ericsson is largely a dumpster fire. And it should be no great mystery why. Kronwall has regressed to the point of not being a quality #1 anymore. He was never an elite #1 but he was serviceable in the position for years after Lidstrom's retirement. That's no longer the case. He would be a great #2, but we have no #1 to take the brunt of the top pair's workload. Instead, he gets saddled with Ericsson, who is best suited as a #4 (he's either a good 4 or mediocre 3). Kronwall is a good #2, tasked with the responsibilities of a #1, playing with a #2 who should really be a #4. That's the issue in a nutshell.

It's a coaching and GM problem at this point. Hard to blame the coaches (Babs too) when the GM has saddled them with a s**t D corps for years, that's on Holland 100%. But at the same time, there's no excuse for the lack of creativity and stubbornness displayed by Blashill here. The 55-52 pairing has been proven, through many games, to be a very unreliable top pair. Ericsson will kill offense and is not good enough defensively for a top pair. This need to babysit Ericsson also reduces Kronwall's offensive output, IMO. Green is a better option there, even DeKeyser (who's generally not at his best with Kronwall). Smith has had good stretches with Kronwall too. And with how Marchenko's been playing, he deserves a shot there too. To sit him after he's been playing so well, and after he scores a goal, sends a terrible message, IMO. And that's on Blashill.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
All I see is that marcheko is OUT not scratched. Could go both ways

But why is Ericsson on the top pair smh. Mrazek will probably save his job

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad