Rumor: Ilya Sorokin (in the works?)

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
And I’m in no way diminishing the value of a good goalie. Goal tending is 75% of the game unless you don’t have one, in which case it’s everything. But plenty of good ones are available every year, and plenty of potentially good ones are just as available every year that cost nothing but money.

A goalie draft pick is squandered opportunity cost.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yeah there's no point in drafting goalies UNLESS a highly ranked one slips to the last couple rounds. Like Gravel. Apparently a lot of goalie scouts really like Basse too.
I’ve long maintained that I wouldn’t draft a guy before the last few rounds, but yes it is forgivable if you’re grabbing high upside guys with what amount to lottery ticket picks.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
And I’m in no way diminishing the value of a good goalie. Goal tending is 75% of the game unless you don’t have one, in which case it’s everything. But plenty of good ones are available every year, and plenty of potentially good ones are just as available every year that cost nothing but money.

A goalie draft pick is squandered opportunity cost.

Could this same logic be applied when arguing against locking up a goalie with a big money and longterm contract?

pnch40

May 31, 2015
i cant even imagine what we would have had to give up. sorokin is an all world goalie

Would this be an insane get? Hes young. I thought we had our future goalie expiring this year (also currently being rumored as trade bait)

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Could this same logic be applied when arguing against locking up a goalie with a big money and longterm contract?
Not really. Goalies are voodoo and I’d never give one Price/Bob money but an established guy with a good track record is worth Crawford/Rinne money.

Edit: Established NHL goalies are worth more because they’ve all clearly somewhat hit on their ceiling. They aren’t the question marks that most teenagers are when you’re expending resources. The 200th best forward on the planet is a good middle six guy in the NHL whereas the 200th best goalie is making 40k playing in some second tier league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrfenn92

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Yeah there's no point in drafting goalies UNLESS a highly ranked one slips to the last couple rounds. Like Gravel. Apparently a lot of goalie scouts really like Basse too.

Sorry Musto, I am not seeing the argument. Gravel is terrible this year and Basse hasn't done anything in Youngstown this year. That's what you get out of 6th round picks. No different than if you waited to draft all your D or F in the 6th and 7th rounds.

Since the Salary Cap was introduced, the goalies that were drafted in the first round who panned out were:

Price.
Rask.
Varlamov
Bernier
Subban?
Campbell?
Vasilevskey
Samsonov

The busts were:

Irving
Helenius
Pickard
McCollum
Vistinen

I'm sure there were busts in different positions as well but those that were not are pretty damn good.

After that

Oettinger and Knight look like pretty good prospects. Add Askarov to that mix and I don't see the downside in drafting goalies? Look at how Washington has drafted goalies and you will see it can actually work to a team's advantage to draft them consistently high.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Smith was a terrible GM that had some amazingly good picks emerge, for lack of a better term, “posthumously.” He tried a lot of things that didn’t work with regard to drafting/acquiring European players/coaches. Then IIRC, there was somewhat of a mandate to greater explore North America for talent. At least that’s what the fanbase wanted. Then he made magic with a number of decisions. All 3 GMs (Smith, Tallon, Bowman) were equally responsible for the 3 Cups IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDF

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Sorry Musto, I am not seeing the argument. Gravel is terrible this year and Basse hasn't done anything in Youngstown this year. That's what you get out of 6th round picks. No different than if you waited to draft all your D or F in the 6th and 7th rounds.

Since the Salary Cap was introduced, the goalies that were drafted in the first round who panned out were:

Price.
Rask.
Varlamov
Bernier
Subban?
Campbell?
Vasilevskey
Samsonov

The busts were:

Irving
Helenius
Pickard
McCollum
Vistinen

I'm sure there were busts in different positions as well but those that were not are pretty damn good.

After that

Oettinger and Knight look like pretty good prospects. Add Askarov to that mix and I don't see the downside in drafting goalies? Look at how Washington has drafted goalies and you will see it can actually work to a team's advantage to draft them consistently high.
You're obviously a stat watcher if you think Gravel has been terrible

Reactions: BK

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Smith was a terrible GM that had some amazingly good picks emerge, for lack of a better term, “posthumously.” He tried a lot of things that didn’t work with regard to drafting/acquiring European players/coaches. Then IIRC, there was somewhat of a mandate to greater explore North America for talent. At least that’s what the fanbase wanted. Then he made magic with a number of decisions. All 3 GMs (Smith, Tallon, Bowman) were equally responsible for the 3 Cups IMO.
i wouldn't go so far as to say that they take equal credit...... need to see where the main core and who was the GM at the time....

now i will give credit to all 3 of them for have a hand in maintaining it. but .........

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

Price.
Rask.
Varlamov
Bernier
Subban?
Campbell?
Vasilevskey
Samsonov

The busts were:

Irving
Helenius
Pickard
McCollum
Vistinen

After that

i will not give up on Gravel just because he had a bad yr. i will say he had a off yr.......athletes do have off yrs.... that doesn't make them a bad player.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
You're obviously a stat watcher if you think Gravel has been terrible

Musto, out of that entire post about drafting goalies in the first round you decided to defend Gravel? and your junk theory of not drafting goalies high.

OK, what are the redeeming qualities that make Gravel an NHL goalie out of the 6th round?. And, why should the Hawks continue to draft goalies in the later rounds instead of the early rounds?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
ref Alexis Gravel has less wins this yr verses last season. one could say he stinks i say he is having a off yr ...... now the team in front of him needs to be maybe discuss ??

Alexis Gravel Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Halifax's best players got traded. Barron has been injured. They're in full tank mode. 2nd worst team in the league. Meanwhile last year's roster took them to the Memorial Cup finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad