Ilya Sorokin: From consensus top-3 goalie to mid

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
*Checks when he signed his long-term contract*

Thoroughly shocked. This is unprecedented.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Reading into an off year for a goalie is absolutely pointless, this happens all the time. It's literally the most difficult position to be consistently elite at.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think save % is generally down league wide this year.
Several years in a row. I think people are looking at this from the lens of when average sv% was around .915 a few years ago. Barring a complete collapse in the final few games, Hellebuyck is going to win his second Vezina trophy, and he's sub .920. Sorokin's .907 is above average from a strict sv%, and he's 15th among goalies with 35 or more games played.

Now, from an expected GA perspective, he is having a pretty rough year. Part of that can probably be attributed to being overworked, but it's most certainly a down year for him. It's just not as catastrophic as people think when they see a sv% of .907.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Several years in a row. I think people are looking at this from the lens of when average sv% was around .915 a few years ago. Barring a complete collapse in the final few games, Hellebuyck is going to win his second Vezina trophy, and he's sub .920. Sorokin's .907 is above average from a strict sv%, and he's 15th among goalies with 35 or more games played.

Now, from an expected GA perspective, he is having a pretty rough year. Part of that can probably be attributed to being overworked, but it's most certainly a down year for him. It's just not as catastrophic as people think when they see a sv% of .907.

Overworked and team in front of him has been mid and this year he couldn't cover up for them.

Mayfield also was missing a good chunk of time.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
For all the rollercoaster rides we've been taken on with goaltenders and their fluctuations, I haven't seen anyone mention Sorokin's season so far at any point this year.

Before the season started everyone knew that for the most part, the majority of goalies are wildly unpredictable from year to year except the elite few. Everyone had the same lists of a handful of goalies that were consistently elite, with Shesterkin and Sorokin at the top of the lists.

Up until very recently Shesterkin had been getting a ton of coverage about his disappointing start to the season until very recently as it appears he's back at the top of the game.

Where does this leave Sorokin? What's happened to his play this year? The Islanders defense and team is almost exactly what it was last year.

He went from 38.7 to -5.1 goals saved above expected (3rd in NHL to 57th, min. 10gp)

His SV% dropped from 0.924 to 0.907.

Is it simply an off-season, has he been overly protected by an Isles system that's now faultered, or has the league figured him out?

Throw Shesterkin in there with him.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Sorokin's not playing all that bad. What we're seeing in the league right now is an uptick in scoring and goalies are being victimized all over. The best goalie in the league right now is probably Hellebyuck and his save percentage has dipped below 92%.

Sorokin's goals saved above average (GSAA) is 5.6. It's not exactly sparkling, but it's quite alright. It's better than mid. He's mostly doing his job. Years ago in a more defensively oriented NHL this kind of GSAA gets you a save percentage over 91%. But these are different times.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

My points are basically this, but he said it first. :)

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
He's 25th in sv% among goalies with 20+ games. While thats not elite, it's not bad, especially when you consider the team in front of him.

They are 23rd in GA/GP... And have the worst PK in the league.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Goalies have up and down years but he's still good and I wouldn't be very worried

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
He’s faced the most shots, from the toughest spots on the ice. I also believe fatigue is a factor; facing the amount of action he has.

He’s elite, he’ll rebound next season (unless he is playing behind horrific team D).

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Sorokin is just human, clearly it's not the best season for him but the Isles aren't helping him out a ton either.

That's the thing about facing a ton of action. If you're feeling it, it can even be a positive. If you're not, good luck, you're on your own to figure it out.

Not like it's been a disaster. If it was, then Varlamov would've got the reigns.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Mayfield missing a good chunk of time is a good thing for sorokin and the isles

I don't want to assume I know more than a fan that watches their team every game but outside looking in, his deployment looks really difficult.

63.2% defensive zone starts at 5v5? Not exactly in a position to crush it.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
I don't want to assume I know more than a fan that watches their team every game but outside looking in, his deployment looks really difficult.

63.2% defensive zone starts at 5v5? Not exactly in a position to crush it.

The amount of soul crushing penalties he takes has cost this team at least 5 games

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Sorokins biggest issue THIS SEASON is that he's got the yips. Granted he's the best with high danger saves but holy crap the amount of weird fluke goals that he's given up is insane. Well also giving up the most shots in the NHL won't help either. Dont really feel *too* concerned but I understand why people can say he's mid.
Hey, maybe they should play him another 13 in a row.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hey, maybe they should play him another 13 in a row.

I think he might need to get his eyes checked out, he is still great up close but a lot of long distance goals scored on him, evens ones without screens

Reactions: Mike C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad