Ilya Sorokin: From consensus top-3 goalie to mid

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
For all the rollercoaster rides we've been taken on with goaltenders and their fluctuations, I haven't seen anyone mention Sorokin's season so far at any point this year.

Before the season started everyone knew that for the most part, the majority of goalies are wildly unpredictable from year to year except the elite few. Everyone had the same lists of a handful of goalies that were consistently elite, with Shesterkin and Sorokin at the top of the lists.

Up until very recently Shesterkin had been getting a ton of coverage about his disappointing start to the season until very recently as it appears he's back at the top of the game.

Where does this leave Sorokin? What's happened to his play this year? The Islanders defense and team is almost exactly what it was last year.

He went from 38.7 to -5.1 goals saved above expected (3rd in NHL to 57th, min. 10gp)

His SV% dropped from 0.924 to 0.907.

Is it simply an off-season, has he been overly protected by an Isles system that's now faultered, or has the league figured him out?

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Lol goalies have off seasons, just look at Bobrovsky he is a good example of someone who has had his ups and downs, it generally happens to most goalies, regardless of that he will most likely bounce back next season.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Just goalie stuff. They’re just wildly unpredictable from one season to another. I’d be willing to bet he’ll be great again next year just as I expect Oettinger to be.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Lol goalies have off seasons, just look at Bobrovsky he is a good example of someone who has had his ups and downs, it generally happens to most goalies, regardless of that he will most likely bounce back next season.
Bob, Shesterkin, Vasilevskiy, Halleybuyck, Swayman, Demko, Hill….all better than Sorokin! I always thought he was a little overrated and I never buy into media hype!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Islander team defense this year is much worse as they concentrate a bit more on scoring, so that is one problem. The second is I find him still amazing up close but it seems I seen to many goals from the black oval area(including redirects, but many outright goals as well).

zones.jpg

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
that's also how you end up with teams like New Jersey who can't save a shot for shit.
New Jersey can't do a lot for shit, so the goaltending just fits in with the rest of the team and coaching performance.

But yes, relying on averagish goaltending comes with some volatility for sure. Some pretty wide ranges

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Is it really a goalie thing? Forwards don't hit their top end production every year, and there are plenty of goalies who fulfill their expectations. I would like some kind of statistical proof that goalies are especially hard to rely on compared to other positions

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Goalies are voodoo is the lazy answer.

Compare the shots against charts, maybe they give more dangerous shots this year.

Check if he missed practice with maintenance/injury history

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
He's a bum goalie this season, but probably rises above the challenge, and becomes a top goalie when he's traded from Long Island (with retention).

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Goalies are voodoo is the lazy answer.

Compare the shots against charts, maybe they give more dangerous shots this year.

Check if he missed practice with maintenance/injury history
I'm very much on this kind of thinking.

Goalies also aren't the only kind of player that performs differently based on linemates, team quality, and team systems.

It's been regarded as fact that goalies are voodoo but with no facts to back it up. Meanwhile when forwards go up and down we either don't notice or come up with lists of logical reasons to explain it.

It could just be that what is unique about the position, that there is only one goalie so there is no hiding.

Reactions: 1989

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
He’s faced the most shots in the nhl and has gotten no help. Hes let him some bad ones at times but more often than not he has to be Superman. Hes still an elite goalie and elite talent.

• Haha
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
He’s still making A+ saves

He’s just also letting in some not-great goals

Facing the most shots in the league for a big part of the season probably didn’t help

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad