Speculation: Ilya Samsonov non-tendered

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Well, considering the shootout save percentage is greater than 50% - I'd say it's bad.

Point's goal he lost the rebound and Moses opened his legs I think:

This was Montreal's second shot of the OT, I think the Leafs had 11 shots this OT. Widely accepted as a bad goal:

This was actually a tough save, 1st shot by Montreal of the OT. He didn't save it though, so he couldn't have done any worse, pretty neutral goal:

Hmm. He did give up rebound on 1st goal but it was a turnover scramble and Leafs didnt bother checking the 3 TB players around the net on the rebound. I'd say bad team goal. 2nd goal was horrible. 3rd was no chance. I dont think Murray automatically makes those saves

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I'll be honest what is Toronto's D doing on at least the first two goals there, no one is covering Point standing right in front of the net, the Kotkaniemi goal is what the f*** how are you turning the puck over in your own zone like that and just letting another player come straight down the slot for an uncontested shot basically.

I don't think those two are all on Campbell.

The third one is an terrible turnover by Galchenyuk I think (?) that gives the Habs a on 2-on-0 ... you almost never see a 2-on-0 in an NHL regular season game, let alone a playoff over time.

The goalies job is to make a save though. If the goalie can't make a save, what is he contributing?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Other saves? What are you even arguing? I cant count more mistakes by the skaters on those goals than the goalie.

I'm arguing 3 goals on 7 shots in OT is bad goaltending in the best league in the world.

One goal we agree is blatantly bad. The second we agree he should have had the rebound, but didn't, so you blame the defence instead of Campbell not having the rebound or closing his legs like an NHL goalie should. The third goal is hard to save, but possible, he didn't though.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hmm. He did give up rebound on 1st goal but it was a turnover scramble and Leafs didnt bother checking the 3 TB players around the net on the rebound. I'd say bad team goal. 2nd goal was horrible. 3rd was no chance. I dont think Murray automatically makes those saves

Even the 2nd goal (Kotkaniemi), I mean wtf is your D/forward doing there with that give away ... full control of the puck and just gifting the puck away with some soft forecheck pressure.

It's not that easy to make that save either, that's giving a forward a couple of strides straight down the middle of the ice with speed and time to pick their spot on the shot. A forward with a decent shot can make any goalie pay there.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
His athleticism is high but he’s a very flawed goalie. Loses his angles consistently, overplays the puck, goes down too early and plays small for his size. With a great goalie coach he could turn it around but I wouldn’t bet on it.
This is basically it in a nutshell. He can turn it on for a few games and one thinks he's turned a corner then all of that returns including the terrible rebound control aspect also.

Definitely a situation where a change of scenery is likely the best.

Reactions: crab

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
6 pages, so far, for an untendered 0.896 guy.

We are witnessing a Golden Age for mediocre, disappointing, and fringe NHL goalies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If a team with a good goalie coach takes Sammy he will awesome in like two years. Sadly the Capitals goalie coach Scott Murray just kind of gets paid for the label of "goalie coach". Scott Murray just ruined two young promising goaltenders development and some how still has a job. I'm starting to think the dude has some dirt on Ted or someone important....how he still has a job is beyond me.

Congratulations to Sammy and VV for getting away from Scott Murray!
I'll you tell why he's still employed. Owner Ted Leonsis literally has said he doesn't like firing people because he finds it counterproductive! :rolleyes:
Todd Reirden was a rare case. McPhee contract expired after 17 years being Caps GM. Trotz contract expired after 4 years, but there was a clause in his contract for another 2 years with $300k per year raise from his $1.5 million per year salary, Trotz rightfully so wanted to be pa

Anyways, I got off track. Scott Murray got too much credit when the Caps won the Cup with Holtby. Korn had moved into a goalie consultant position with the Caps, while Murray who was Korn's assistant took over. While Grubauer was humming along(but failed in the first 2 playoff games), Holtby was not able to correct his game with Murray. Korn took over again and the rest is history for that 2018 playoffs!

Reactions: PlushMinus

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
A bit up there in age but he was dynamite with Boston. Small, but a bull with the puck and could stick handle his way out of a phone booth. I'd take a flyer on him.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Better than Campbell.

Campbell was the worst goaltender in the NHL since January. He's lucky he only played 49 games because his save percentage was going to end up in the .800's, like his playoffs. Once Campbell loses his confidence, he's an ECHL player with his rebound control and his 2 sofites a game. I give the Leafs credit for realizing that and walking from him.

He's also 25 and not 30 like Campbell.

Is he as good as Murray? 😅

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
i remember delusional cap fans saying he will be the best out of all the Russian "I.S." goalies

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Is he as good as Murray? 😅

Depends. How do you define success? Stanley Cups, first round victories? Then yes.

Campbell hasn't accomplished anything in the league except 0-5 in elimination games.

Last edited:

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Wild might want to find a way to get Kaprizov back into the USA first! I can guarantee you Sammy won't sign with another team unless there are some Russian comfort on that team(players, coaches, etc.).
His English is pretty poor, right? So he'll need another Russian to help translate :laugh:

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
It’ll never happen, but I’d roll the dice on him as a Jets fan. Helleybuyck only has 2 years left and bringing someone in now to take over in 23/24 when Helle is traded would be good foresight.

Hellebuyck raves about the Jets goalie coach so maybe he could get Samsonov back on track.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
i remember delusional cap fans saying he will be the best out of all the Russian "I.S." goalies
There was nothing "delusional" about that statement at the time. He had matched or bested his competition in Russia. And he may still end up as a very high end NHL starter, given a real goalie coach instead of the farce that is Scott Murray.

Reactions: SherVaughn30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad