LeBrun: Ilya Mikheyev's agent is looking for 4.75-5.5 M AAV if he hits the market

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It will take a lot longer than a week, since Mikheyev may take a while to realize he's going to have to accept a short term $3.5-4M deal.

May last 5 minutes after FA, might take a month, who knows?

He may get 1 year at 3.5 or 5 years at 5.5.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Classic sales tactic. Give a range with a high end. 5.5M? No one wants to pay that. This is a player worth 3M. High 4's? Well we're interested but that is too high. They probably offer something 3.5 AAV. Because they started so high, the deal ends up in the low to mid 4's, the player gets overpaid for his worth, and the team still feels they got a deal.

And if a bidding war happens, which is what they want, they might even get a team willing to go to the top of the range or beyond to get it done if they really like the player.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Mikheyev is the quality of player who needs to think long term. He needs to go to his agent and say unless it's really is 5+ million, could you instead focus on getting term? Big money contract that is not lived up to may spell the end of his NHL days, but a 6 year deal at a lower AAV might net you another contract and sets you up for life at the same time.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
That would be Nurse level bad. Especially if it's 5.5 million.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Chiarelli and Hitchcock recently got hired in St.Louis, so...

I could see Buffalo, with Botterill being desperate to get him as a FA, but now they got an actual GM, so they will not overpay him.
If Gadreau goes, maybe Calgary does it, but, probably not..

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Guess I'm alone on this one but I'd pay him some big bucks. Players that can create a scoring chance out of nothing with their speed should have a lot of value in this league. Even if he can't put the first shot in the kind of breaks he gets creates rebounds and puts a lot of defenseman on their heels. Good offense creates chaos in the OZ and Mikheyev really does that well. Always thought he was pretty underrated defensively as well.

He's been stuck behind a very talented top 6 in Toronto. If he goes to a team with a spot in the top 6 that can give him around 18mins w PP time I think he could see a big jump in production.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Sportsnet Real Kyper and Bourne
Today's podcast July 4th
Bourne's hearing that Anaheim have interest in Mikheyev.

Sorry if it was already posted.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Guess I'm alone on this one but I'd pay him some big bucks. Players that can create a scoring chance out of nothing with their speed should have a lot of value in this league. Even if he can't put the first shot in the kind of breaks he gets creates rebounds and puts a lot of defenseman on their heels. Good offense creates chaos in the OZ and Mikheyev really does that well. Always thought he was pretty underrated defensively as well.

He's been stuck behind a very talented top 6 in Toronto. If he goes to a team with a spot in the top 6 that can give him around 18mins w PP time I think he could see a big jump in production.

But until his hot streak this season, he consistently showed hands of stone. Creating chances for himself is nice and all if he can bury them. At $5.5 million you kind of want a more proven track record and not just a hot streak followed by an ice-cold playoffs.

Mikheyev's definitely the type you take a chance on in the $4 million or under range due to his positive traits. But once you're at $5 million and above, you kind of want to know he's a near-sure thing.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Probably worth around $3.5. Given how dumb GM's can be on free agency day, 4+ could easily happen. He's an elite skater and good on the PK. He's not someone you'd want on your power play, he doesn't have great hands or a shot. The production will go up if someone puts him in their top 6 and gets pp minutes.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
But until his hot streak this season, he consistently showed hands of stone. Creating chances for himself is nice and all if he can bury them. At $5.5 million you kind of want a more proven track record and not just a hot streak followed by an ice-cold playoffs.

Mikheyev's definitely the type you take a chance on in the $4 million or under range due to his positive traits. But once you're at $5 million and above, you kind of want to know he's a near-sure thing.

Okposo, Palmieri, Brouwer, Neal, Eriksson, Nielson, Backes, and many many more have all got big deals based on proven track record. I'd rather overpay a UFA who I think I could become more than what they've been than overpay a UFA based entirely on what they've done before. Danault is a good example, he scored all of 5G and 24pts in 2020-21, LA thought there was more there and gave him 33 million and he immediately sets a career high with 27G. I think Mikheyev could pop like that in the right situation.

Creating chances for himself even if he doesn't bury them as much as you'd like creates momentum for his team and opens things up. You can't teach speed like he's got.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
All of these rumoured numbers, or potential numbers stated by agents, are 500-750k above what I'd expect him to actually receive.
The dangerous part of this is that you'll scare teams away.
I think GM are intelligent enough to understand that in negotiation you always start around a minimum of 10-15% over or under what you really want.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
He needed to show up in atleast one of those playoff series to get that kind of money.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He had a good season but that valuation is ridiculous. Some team that needs to get to the cap floor would probably do it but one 20 goal season for a player that has to show some more consistency than that, yeah not from a team that's playoff bound.

He'd be smarter taking a 2.75-3m/yr deal for 2yrs. Young enough to still cash in after.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I don't know much, but I know that he won't get 5.5M......unless it's in rubles.

Never doubt the stupidity of general managers in free agency my friend.

drevil-billion.gif

Reactions: jmelm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad