Speculation: Ilya Mikheyev Will Not Score A Breakaway Goal This Season

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
People seem to forget he’s coming off a very serious and almost career ending injury. An injury like that could take someone a while to get his form completely back. He’s been great for the third line.

Reactions: zeke

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Coming back from a serious injury which would hamper his shot power and likely accuracy.

He still has more to give offensively and even with his lack of offensive production he is still one of our better bottom 6 forwards so I have no complaints.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
He’s an extremely likeable player and everyone’s rooting for him - he’s had rough luck this season so far but his play away from the puck has been awesome

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He feels like the new Kapanen - can create great chances that never get executed.
I know what you mean, similar attributes fast but finish issues. But Mik has a few better attributes while in the role as a 3rd liner that Kaps didn’t seam to have. he has more size and seems to fit into a 3rd line role better than Kapanen. He seems to have less baggage, as there were rumors of maturity issues with Kaps.

We need guys who can play great defensively, good teammates, size is a bonus - who aren’t going to break the bank but can chip in occasionally. We don’t need another 50-60 point player who we can’t afford.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't care if he doesn't score ... his size and speed help team immensely ... his flat out top end straight line speed is d*mn near McJesus and he is not afraid to get reefed ... he needs to get a little more Hyman courage in playoffs but he is young and i think will get it this year

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He feels like the new Kapanen - can create great chances that never get executed.
He is better than Kapanen defensively and overall effort. This guy is a elite athlete. He never slows down. I’m not sure i want everyone catching on to how fast he is. After skating with McDavid last night i think the cat is out of the bag. Defense might start backing off on him more soon. I could hear the oilers communicating about his speed last night. He’s a beast. We have potentially a third line now that could cause teams trouble regularly. Thats a playoff line too. :)

Reactions: Goose

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Thats amazing he got out enough to get position on him to cut him off the puck. When he learns to slow his brain down after winning position on players he will be a possession and zone entry monster. He needs to practice a few finish moves. Five hole and top corners with quick moves instead of just shooting blocker side all the time. I think it’s going to come this season.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Honestly, I think we should lock him into a 3-4 deal now if possible, at a low cap hit. He's not gonna keep missing forever and like Hyman, I think he will learn to finish more (and his wrist will continue to get stronger and heal hopefully). He brings a lot of value, similar to Hyman and is a hound on the puck. He plays the exact brand of hockey you want, minus the lack of finishing lol, but everything outside of that he does well. Also still pretty young, only 26. Hyman really started putting his game together around 26-27, and Mikheyev has even less NHL experience than him at the same point in time.

Reactions: TopCheese

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
One of my favourite Leafs, brutally underrated player league wide.

If he had any finish he would be asking for 5-6m right now and we'd have to trade him, I'm alright with the lack of offensive production considering he does so many little things right. If you could consider a bottom six player untouchable it's him.

I think Mikheyev would be a force with Matthews and Marner, a left shot Hyman with playmaking abilities.

Reactions: definedMF

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
When is he going to play top 6 minutes ? He’s elite
He's been tried with top-6 minutes before and it hasn't exactly looked optimal.

He's a fantastic player - just not exactly cut out to compliment a scoring line.

His non-stop motor works extremely well down the lineup though.

Reactions: TopCheese

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad