Speculation: Ilya Mikheyev Will Not Score A Breakaway Goal This Season

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
He does so much right, is one of our best defensive forwards, and takes no penalties despite defensive usage.

He is a very good third line forward who has been unlucky (but does also just have poor finishing/shooting talent). I think the luck should end up in his favour on those breakaways a few times this year, but it's almost as if he's fighting to get the puck on net while in alone.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
He does so much right, is one of our best defensive forwards, and takes no penalties despite defensive usage.

He is a very good third line forward who has been unlucky (but does also just have poor finishing/shooting talent). I think the luck should end up in his favour on those breakaways a few times this year, but it's almost as if he's fighting to get the puck on net while in alone.
I think he will come around with results , at least you have to admire his passion and try and corner work and his physical play and defensive attitude , I’ll take that any day ..
He will come around I’m sure

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Grabner 2.0 this year. With how snakebitten he's been this year it's only fair that it will turn around at some point for him the way he works.

For those who don't remember Grabner sandwiched a 7.8 shooting% between a 12.7% the year before and two subsequent seasons shooting 16.7% and 16.2%. Easily the worst year of his career shooting wise.

Reactions: Lumberg

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I am just beginning to learn to enjoy the ride. I kind of laugh now when I see him on a breakaway because he kind of takes the suspense out of it. Start a Mikey drinking game. But you may not be coherent for the 3rd. No matter how many times he misses it’s hard not to love the guy.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yes he will. I’m calling high blocker tonight :)
Regardless he has been one of our best players and backs teams off when he is on the ice. He’s one of the fastest players in our division. Works his arse off and yes,yes, he actually finishes checks and works his way out of coverage instead of fly by stick checking. I’d take a entire bottom 6 just like him

Last edited:

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
He’ll get one eventually
:laugh:

72725298.jpg

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mikheyev plays his best hockey while SH.

Almost every game he generates scoring chances while Leafs are killing penalties.

Its almost against the better odds that he hasn't scored yet.. In one recent game against Flames he could have had 3 SH goals in the same game.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd just be happy with a few more goals and/or assists. However that combo shakes out and in whatever manner the goals are scored is irrelevant to me.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
He is Kapanen 2.0.

Both of them would get 20 breakaways in an hour and score on zero.

Kap would wait until the BIGGEST moments to score them, hope Soup does the same.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Next time he gets a PK breakaway he should just take the puck into the corner and smother it as long as he can. That's probably 30 seconds gone and forces the top unit to tire themselves out fighting on the wall.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Next time he gets a PK breakaway he should just take the puck into the corner and smother it as long as he can. That's probably 30 seconds gone and forces the top unit to tire themselves out fighting on the wall.
Lol cuz that makes sense... bs

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Is it just me but these Russian guys all look younger than their age
Maybe I just remember the old days when the Russians all looked like drill Sargeant
S
I think the 3rd line last night was the leafs best
They played strong and heavy all night

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He reminds me of Nikolai Kulemin after his one big year sometimes. But I'm happy if he just keeps doing this, sooner or later they'll go in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad