Friedman: Ilya Mikheyev requests a trade

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The Logan Brown offer seems more than fair from an outsiders view. If he truly wants out rolling the dice on Brown seems worth it vs a late pick like a 3rd. I don’t him him pulling a 2nd wanting out.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
leafs wont trade mikheyev but he probably finds himself the 13th forward .
Adam Brooks should be sending ilya a fruit basket for this move

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
This probably has to do with the role the Leafs see for him coming up this season. Sheldon Keefe seemed to love the idea of a checking line that he can throw at the other teams top line like he did last year with the Mikheyev, Engvall, Hyman line. Even Dubas mentioned it when the signed Kampf.
I have a feeling the Leafs want to throw out a Mikheyev, Kampf, Engvall line. Mikheyev probably doesn't want to be hitting free agency after a year of playing on that line and getting a scoring line of 3G 7A for 80 games.

Reactions: banks

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Mikheyev was looking really good in his rookie season until that freak accident where his wrist was sliced open against NJ.

Since his return, he still has his blazing speed but his shot and puck skills have struggled considerably.

Reactions: banks and leafsfan5

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Classic move for a team to dick a guy around for years and waste his career. They just signed a boatload of wingers to push him down the depth chart too

noo

May 10, 2021
According to several sources, Toronto winger Ilya Mikheyev asked for a trade following the 2020-21 season. But, what is important to the story is that the Maple Leafs made it clear they do not want to accommodate this request. With Zach Hyman and Joe Thornton gone from the left wing, the organization told Mikheyev it considers him a key part of their team and are counting on him to have a big year.

Neither GM Kyle Dubas nor agent Dan Milstein were willing to comment. At issue appears to be role and ice-time, heading into the final year of his contract. His 14:13 per game last season was eighth among Toronto forwards. Mikheyev’s impressive 23-point, 39-game rookie season was cut short by an accidental — but serious — skate cut to his wrist. (Dubas stayed with him in hospital after the team returned from New Jersey to Toronto.) He had seven goals and 17 points in 2020-21, going pointless in the playoffs. He’s a talented guy, and if he could get his shooting percentage higher (6.5 last season), it could be a real breakthrough for him and the team.

the rest of the quote from OP.

Sabres re-engage interested teams after meeting with Eichel's representatives - Sportsnet.ca

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
He can earn playing time in camp.
And if he doesnt he should just shut up and sit on the bench? Its not like an Eichel situation where hes worth anything, he just wants a chance to play on a team that has a spot for him. This is just like the Islanders refusing to move Ho-Sang.

Look at Barabonov, he would have never gotten a fair shake in Toronto, but excelled outside of it. Some environments arent right for guys.

Reactions: PM88RU

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
And if he doesnt he should just shut up and sit on the bench? Its not like an Eichel situation where hes worth anything, he just wants a chance to play on a team that has a spot for him. This is just like the Islanders refusing to move Ho-Sang.

Look at Barabonov, he would have never gotten a fair shake in Toronto, but excelled outside of it. Some environments arent right for guys.
He asked for the trade at the end of May. He was told that the team considers him a key player. I suppose, if he he is just sitting on the bench ( though he averages about 14:30 a game), a trade cam still be a possibility.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
5mh983.jpg

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Well that sucks. oh well if he doesnt wanna be here then lets move on.
like his speed alot but he lack of finish always had me wondering if it was him or just bad luck

How long does bad luck last? For Illya it's never been anything but. I say he's a flash in the pan guy that looks like he could score, but very rarely does.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah fair enough. Hard to see a decent team guaranteeing him a bigger role with his inability to finish.

Then again he's only 2 years into the league. I guess he could go to a team like Detriot or Arizona. :dunno:
I suppose, they turned the request down, but like any agreement- if it is not in writing, it doesn't matter and a trade could still happen.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Sounds like he asked for a trade awhile ago, Dubas said no, and … that’s that for now.

I’m guessing he’s frustrated after both he and the team had a disappointing season. However, his disappointing season wasn’t due to a lack of opportunity, he was given tonnes of chances to succeed, it was simply due to his lack of finish.

Dude has GREAT speed, he’s tall/rangy, hustles and has a decent amount of skill, but he just had NO finish last year. Weird, because his rookie season his finish was fine - he went from a 48 point pace (per 82 games) his rookie year, to a 26 point pace his sophomore year. Losing that finish took him from being a legit middle-6er to a glorified 4th liner.

If he can get his finish back, the Leafs are a terrific spot for him. We’re weak at LW but strong everywhere else, he could easily win back a top 6 slot and play with studs like Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Nylander. Two of Mikheyev/Ritchie/Bunting/Kerfoot will play in the top 6, that’s pretty weak competition, you’re not gonna have an easier path to playing elite talent anywhere in the league.

If he can’t get his finish back … then he’s simply not a top 6 forward on any team in the league.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad