Friedman: Ilya Mikheyev requests a trade

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Every team is supposed to have 3 or 4 players tthat want out at any given time.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Play out the contract you signed or go back to Russia. Hell, just tell management that you're going to test free agency next off-season and go from there. Requesting a trade after barely playing over a full season of NHL hockey just seems whiney.

Reactions: missionAvs

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Oh well hope we just trade for a pick and free up some cap, gives guys like Robertson Malgin and Anderson a shot

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Have you seen the Leafs LW depth?
Bunting and Ritchie are likely ahead of Mikheyev
Nylander sometimes players LW and could if Kase can stay healthy, allows Kase to play top 6 RW
Robertson may end up playing in top 9 by season's end as well
Kerfoot may end up playing LW this year

Pre-injury Mikheyev was great, but if he lacks finish as badly as last year, he is better suited for a bottom 6 role and will likely play there.

Also, a side note, Mikheyev also plays RW so we may see him there this year

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I get why Mikheyev would have requested a trade -- he went from being a big part of the Leafs offence in his rookie year, to being rather insignificant in his sophomore year, having guys like Kerfoot, Vesey, Galchenyuk, Simmonds, Thornton and then Foligno all surpass him on the depth chart at various points. At 26 years old, this is a pretty critical year for him, so I'm sure he wants to be in a good spot.

I can also see why Dubas would not accommodate such a request. The Leafs LW depth is atrocious... it's basically him, Nick Ritchie, Michael Bunting, and Nick Robertson competing for what is likely the top 3 spots, and none of those guys are objectively or significantly better than Mikheyev.

That being said, the wisdom of denying a trade request for a russian guy (when how they're treated is a reason the Leafs do so well in getting KHL free agents), who's a year away from UFA is certainly questionable.

My guess is that unlike Zaitsev, the request was entirely about role on the team (otherwise they would have traded him); and that the Leafs do have every plan to try and have him succeed as a top 6 winger, hoping that it puts him into a position where he'd want to extend. Personally, I actually think he'd be a decent fit alongside Auston Matthews.

Reactions: The90

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I get why Mikheyev would have requested a trade -- he went from being a big part of the Leafs offence in his rookie year, to being rather insignificant in his sophomore year, having guys like Kerfoot, Vesey, Galchenyuk, Simmonds, Thornton and then Foligno all surpass him on the depth chart at various points. At 26 years old, this is a pretty critical year for him, so I'm sure he wants to be in a good spot.

I can also see why Dubas would not accommodate such a request. The Leafs LW depth is atrocious... it's basically him, Nick Ritchie, Michael Bunting, and Nick Robertson competing for what is likely the top 3 spots, and none of those guys are objectively or significantly better than Mikheyev.

That being said, the wisdom of denying a trade request for a russian guy (when how they're treated is a reason the Leafs do so well in getting KHL free agents), who's a year away from UFA is certainly questionable.

My guess is that unlike Zaitsev, the request was entirely about role on the team (otherwise they would have traded him); and that the Leafs do have every plan to try and have him succeed as a top 6 winger, hoping that it puts him into a position where he'd want to extend. Personally, I actually think he'd be a decent fit alongside Auston Matthews.
That logic doesnt compute with me, unless this report is 8 months delayed. If he wants out because he was the odd one out, shouldn't he finally be happy now that the depth has thinned out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad